Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR3 next season probably gets into an NBA rotation as a reserve; 5-8 mpg type. He can develop in the NBA just as much or potentially more as he could in college. How well he does in the NBA depends more on how well his coaches develop his skills/weaknesses...

Jabari Parker brought up the point I always make, the extra season of NBA ball is significant to your career earnings, even more so now with the NBA draft pay scale.

Comment

• That's a good point WM. These guys have an expiration date and every year they stay in school is a year of lost earnings (except in Kentucky) that cannot be made up unless you are going to make a lot more money.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
        Jabari Parker brought up the point I always make, the extra season of NBA ball is significant to your career earnings, even more so now with the NBA draft pay scale.
        It's a good point, unless you're not ready for the NBA and then you don't get that 2nd contract.

I also don't know about the NBA being better to develop your game. There's so many games and so much travel that there isn't that much practice time. It seems to me that you really have to generate getting instruction on your own. A guy with a work-ethic like Trey Burke is going to seek out that instruction. I don't know if GR III is as dedicated. He might be, I just don't know.
        Last edited by *JD*; April 18, 2014, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• I don't know much at all about Dawkins but Michigan is in danger of having the first season in 5 years without having the son of an NBA player on the team. There has to be somebody to bridge the gap between GR3 & Horford and the somewhat likely arrival of Jalen Brunson.

:-)

Comment

• LOL. Agreed.

Comment

• John Bacon wrote a very good article about this subject today.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Just saw Chatman is listed at 6-8, 213 on the Jordan Classic roster(which is on now). That's a 4 all day here. I like it.

Comment

• I was watching in between periods of the Wings game and saw him go 2 for 2.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Also, Kansas recruit Cliff Alexander looks about 30 years old.

Comment

• Abdur-Rahkman commits to M. They'll have a 2 (Rahkam), 3 (Chatman), 4 (Wilson) & 5 (Doyle) in the '14 recruiting class not including Hatch...

They still have a scholarship left to play with, we'll see how they use it; whether it be Dawkins, a transfer or they'll bank it for '15.

Comment

• They offered Dawkins too. Hmmm. Interesting that they would take both.

Comment

• Taking another recruit in '14 would leave M with no scholarships in '15 other than attrition; I'd assume LeVert is likely gone after this season and obviously McGary. They'd have those two scholarships along with potentially Hatch's for '15.

Comment

• There was a write-up on umhoops yesterday about them maybe taking a 5th year transfer from USC but I guess that isn't happening.

Comment

• The good and the bad with MA A-R

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TixspdXzyZI"]Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman Scouting Video - YouTube[/ame]

He looks pretty streaky, has a good handle and reportedly is a good defender.

Comment

By Brendan F. Quinn | bquinn@mlive.com
                                Email the author | Follow on Twitter
                                on April 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM, updated April 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM

ANN ARBOR -- Apparently it was a good visit.

Michigan welcomed Allentown (Pa.) Central Catholic High School guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman to campus for an official this weekend and before Saturday afternoon could turn to Saturday night, had itself a fifth member of the 2014 recruiting class.

Abdur-Rahkman, who originally came on his visit without holding a scholarship offer, announced his commitment to Michigan on Twitter on Saturday afternoon.

A 6-foot-4 guard, Abdur-Rahkman is Central Catholic's all-time leading scorer with 2,136 career points, besting the previous school record held by former Vanderbilt standout Billy McCaffrey, a 1989 McDonald's All-American.

As a senior in 2013-14, he averaged 23.6 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.1 assists while leading Central Catholic to the PIAA Class AAA quarterfinals. He earned his fourth straight PIAA Class AAA first-team selection, becoming the first ever four-time all-state selection in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley.

Michigan's five-man 2014 recruiting class now consists of Abdur-Rahkman; Portland, Ore., small forward Kameron Chatman; Sacramento, Calif., combo forward D.J. Wilson; Fort Myers, Fla., power forward Ricky Doyle; and Fort Wayne, Ind., shooting guard Austin Hatch.

New Hampton (N.H.) School product Aubrey Dawkins, a 6-foot-4 guard and son of Stanford coach and former NBA veteran Johnny Dawkins, is also on campus this weekend visiting Michigan.

According to Scout.com's Sam Webb, U-M has also extended a scholarship offer to Dawkins.

With Abdur-Rahkman's commitment, Michigan now has one remaining open scholarship for 2014-15 -- though that could change if sophomore forward Mitch McGary declares for the draft.

Earlier this week, Abdur-Rahkman told UMHoops.com, "Coach Beilein calls me at least three times a week. He just talks about how I play and I have a great feel for the game, stuff like that."

According to UMHoops, Abdur-Rahkman held scholarship offers from Bucknell, Drexel, Lehigh, Harvard and Rice, and was fielding interest from Boston College and Penn State.

?He is a complete player,? Central Catholic coach Dennis Csencsits said in March, following a PIAA Class AAA tournament victory. ?Not only does he lead us in scoring but he leads us in assist, he is a very good rebounder so he is a really well-rounded player, very smart, very savvy basketball player.?

Brendan F. Quinn covers University of Michigan basketball and football. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on Wolverines hoops. He can be contacted at bquinn@mlive.com

Comment

Working...
                                X