Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzVCdhXOq_s"]OFFICIAL Xavier Simpson Summer Mixtape [2016/Lima Senior/King James] - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• We might even get him for 4 years instead of 1 year of Tyus Battle.

Comment

• Comment

• Hmmm. Appears to be another Ohio/Georgia:M/OSU guard thingy going on. Hopefully this one works out better than Burke/Scott.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Steve Bell retweeted
            Paul Carmona ‏@NGSports 6m6 minutes ago
            Michigan gets their 2016 PG in Xavier Simpson from Ohio. 5-11 PG is one of nation's best floor generals. Mentally tough player
            2 retweets 0 favorites
            Reply Retweet 2 Favorite
            More

Comment

• How good is Ibi Watson, talent? I get pretty mixed reports on his talent, potential.

Comment

• From everything I've seen, he's got a lot of talent, but pretty raw.

Comment

• I wasn't all that in love with Winston because he was reportedly all O/no D, and those are the kinds of toys I would not like Beilein to play with. But, overall, it's awfully hard not to be disappointed with this recruiting class. We've gone from Thornton and Leaf and Battle to a class with less incoming talent than Izzo in particular has picked up. And whether it's Winston or Simpson, or even Battle or Watson -- none of it makes a fundamental difference in the way that making the same recruiting effort at the 5 spot would. We'll have elite play on the perimeter; that's a given. So it's on Beilein now. Show that last year was an anomaly and it's all good.
                  Last edited by hack; September 10, 2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Look on the bright side. We can be delighted when the team overachieves and gets a 6 seed.

Comment

• An elite-level defender who is no slouch on the offensive end, Simpson may be undersized, but it is his heart and toughness that sets him apart.

Coupla comments like that about him. I'll take less offensive upside in exchange for a player who can live up to that. Michigan needs defense and toughness more than it needs extra offensive juice. It's supposed to be a two-guard approach anyways. Still sucks to surrender a top-30 prospect to Sparty though. God what a mess of a recruiting cycle, when you factor in Langford. Terrible price to pay for some tactical mistakes.

Comment

• Some more info on Simpson:
                        Four-star point guard Xavier Simpson announced his commitment to Michigan this afternoon. He picked Michigan over Wisconsin, Illinois, Miami, Iowa State, Indiana and others.

Comment

• Impressive stuff. He's obviously got a handle and seems pretty quick-handed and shifty. Not much of a leaper and his J-release seems a little slow. The latter part can at least be corrected. If I had to compare him to anyone, my first reaction was Mateen Cleaves, from a stature-standpoint.

So, (assuming that they don't get Bridges) the class winds up being Top 15 instead of Top 5. Slightly disappointing but certainly a not a bust. I would've liked to have seen either Davis or Teske rise in the rankings this summer but it looks like they both slid down a little bit. I think it might take one of the current bigs flourishing for Michigan to truly be considered a destination for a dominant post-player. If Mitch hadn't been hurt his Sophomore year (or been able to stay and play last year), he would've been that advertizement. The NCAA run was too small a sample-size, I think.

As is, Michigan is a team that every H.S. wing and PG can obviously see great opportunity, which isn't bad but it would be nice to have the full appeal.

Comment

• If Mitch hadn't been hurt his Sophomore year (or been able to stay and play last year), he would've been that advertisement.
                            This is just one of the many disappointing aspects of McGary's very short career here and potentially the most damaging long-term. I thought Mitch could've put the '14 squad over the top, he would've been a difference maker his Sophomore season (if healthy) and the NCAA took away his opportunity to play for the Wolverines in '14/'15 too.

Comment

• I agree with you guys about the need for Michigan to present an opportunity to young bigs. It would have been nice to see a full McGary unleashed for that reason. But I don't think it's going to take that. Frankly the opportunity should be very clear, at least for bigs that project as roll men rather than back-to-basket types. As a big you may be concerned about playing with guards that get you the ball, but a Beilein offense provides many catch-and-shoot/finish opportunities. I think it's clear. I think ultimately Beilein just has to prioritize recruiting bigs like he does wings. On the recruiting trail there's always another wing in his sights until the slots are filled. Whereas Davis committed in April and I haven't heard a damn thing about trying to get in on any more bigs. I do not understand the mentality that leads to shutting down recruiting at the 5 whereas on the wing it's neverending. I don't understand aiming our sights so low when recruiting this position compared with the others. I
                              n particular given that in our last two tournament losses, to Kentucky and to Louisville, the foul troubles of Morgan and McGary, respectively, were major issues to contend with.

Overall I think Beilein's system is a pretty thoughtful one, in particular given that so many offense-first approaches are not, but if you start with his own theory of ``It's a game of shots, so take more than the other team'', he applies that to turnovers and fouls but the blind spot is not applying it to controlling the glass. Selective application of a good theory. Limiting factor.

Comment

• As of now, theres absolutely no reason to be recruiting any bigs.

Comment

Working...
                                X