Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have too many memories of Rose jacking up crappy shots and turning the ball over on crappy passes into traffic for me to put him up there with the rest.

Actually Howard deserves to be on the side of that mountain too, now that I think of it. More than Rose IMHO.

Comment

• I think you have to give some love to the 76 team that lost in the Championship game to undefeated Indiana. That was a damn good team

Ricky Green should get some consideration
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Howard admittedly was a better basketball player than Webber at Michigan. Webber was the most dominant because he was infinitely more gifted but Juwan was a technician. Really would have been Wooden material had he ever played with a true point. When he got the ball on the block you were at his mercy.

Comment

• Campy Russell!

Graduated same year I did...

Comment

• Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
            Campy Russell!

Graduated same year I did...
            I actually graduated HS with his son.

Comment

• Stauskas deserves a mention. What a year. Only outright conference title since 85 or whenever it was; swept MSU and blew kisses to the crowd. E8 and damn close to the F4 that really puts you in the conversation. He's only honorable mention, but it's as honorable as mentions can be.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                Stauskas deserves a mention. What a year. Only outright conference title since 85 or whenever it was; swept MSU and blew kisses to the crowd. E8 and damn close to the F4 that really puts you in the conversation. He's only honorable mention, but it's as honorable as mentions can be.
                With the mention of the Conference Title- Does that mean more than the Conference Tournament Championship? Sure, you can argue the team had a better season for a longer period of time but, like spartie proved this year, an unbalanced schedule can greatly help you get there. The tourney champ gets the automatic bid and I think every other conference calls the tourney champ the league champ. Every professional sport doesn't call the team with the best regular season record the best either.

In 1985 & 1986, there was no B1G Tourney so that's a different deal.

Comment

• Eh -- maybe it's inertia but I still value the conference title more than the tourney title. So too does the selection committee, based on who got to play in Detroit this year and who got sent out west.

Comment

• Every professional sport doesn't call the team with the best regular season record the best either
                    Every US professional sport. Not so for nearly every soccer league in the world.

It means less than it did when they played a true home+home round robin. But, I'll always take the regular season champion. That's far harder for an average team to win, IMO.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I tend to think the solid team that gets hot at the end of the year is a better bet. I usually do pretty well in the tourney pools picking this way.

If I could figure that out, you would think that the committee would be able to as well
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The 85 and 86 Michigan teams that dominated the big ten flamed out pretty embarrassingly in the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                          Howard admittedly was a better basketball player than Webber at Michigan. Webber was the most dominant because he was infinitely more gifted but Juwan was a technician. Really would have been Wooden material had he ever played with a true point. When he got the ball on the block you were at his mercy.
                          Juwan had a dominant junior year but, no. If Webber had come back for year 3, he probably would've averaged 25, 12 & 3. Webber shot 62% from the floor in his Sophomore season and that includes 34% from 3. He put 27 on UK in the National semifinal without a single dunk. Averaged 2.5 blocks and 1.5 steals in A2.

If you want to say that Juwan had more fundamentally-sound post moves, sure. Awesome player, for sure. Not as good as Webber was, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            Every US professional sport. Not so for nearly every soccer league in the world.
                            Don't bring soccer in here, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                              The 85 and 86 Michigan teams that dominated the big ten flamed out pretty embarrassingly in the tournament.
                              Indeed. There was a lot of heat on Frieder for not being able to get a team to the Sweet 16. He finally did it in '88.

Comment

• The 85 and 86 Michigan teams that dominated the big ten flamed out pretty embarrassingly in the tournament.
                                They dominated in 1985. But in both years, the B10 was mostly poop. They didn't get anyone past the S16 and only had 1 team in each year make it that far.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X