Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB is putting himself into a bit of a hole in his not recruiting guys when all scholarships are accounted for. The class of '13 is 'full' but I expect a decent bit of attrition (Burke, maybe a reserve and there are 2 5-star true freshman), JB isn't going to offer guys unless he knows there is room...

I'd love to see the class of '13 get another blue chipper but JB will only recruit kids after more attrition which is likely long after they've committed elsewhere.

Comment

• Meanwhile World Wide Wes & Calipari had a class of 5 (or is it 6?) signed for '12 long ago and if no one left early; he'd have had like 16 guys on scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
        JB is putting himself into a bit of a hole in his not recruiting guys when all scholarships are accounted for. The class of '13 is 'full' but I expect a decent bit of attrition (Burke, maybe a reserve and there are 2 5-star true freshman), JB isn't going to offer guys unless he knows there is room...

I'd love to see the class of '13 get another blue chipper but JB will only recruit kids after more attrition which is likely long after they've committed elsewhere.
        Not really true. He had more recruits than scholarships after McGary came aboard. It was only because of the 3 transfers that things opened up. They've also been recruiting Woodson and were recruiting ADV before the transfers.

Comment

• I'd imagine some of the attrition was expected.

Comment

• Probably. Not bringing McLimans back for a 5th year is probably also expected.

Austin Hatch's situation is still a gray area. As far as I know, he hasn't officially reclassified himself as a 2014 grad. I still don't know if he'll ever return to being healthy enough to play basketball at the same level. I'd guess that he'll still have some sort of scholarship, ala Ben Cronin, if he's unable to play.

Comment

• WM, where are you getting that JB isn't recruiting '13s?

Comment

• BTW, final Rivals recruiting rankings are out. GRIII finished at #11, McGary at #30 and Stauskus at #71. Making GRIII the highest rated recruit in Indiana and highest rated incoming in the Big Ten. Well done.

Comment

• Stauskus is going to be good.. GRIII and McGary might be the blue chippers but I really like what he's going to bring to the table.
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I'm glad they stopped recruiting ADV. There was nothing on tape that looked overly impressive to me. Albrecht looks fine, and will fit into JB's system.

WM: Who is World Wide Wes?

Comment

• World Wide Wes is John Calipari's best friend, he also somehow is 'friends' with most every top 30 recruit in the nation and half the NBA's first round draftees...

After Kentucky's National Title, Anthony Davis found World Wide Wes to give him a hug in celebration; Wes was sitting directly behind UK's bench during the Final Four...

-

I haven't seen a new offer for a '13 kid in forever, I assume JB believes the class is pretty much locked in. Walton, Hatch, Irvin & Donnal; though its pretty well established Hatch will be a '14 recruit if he can play at his previous level again... I assume JB is still recruiting kids but his assistance to have open scholarships to offer kids I think is a bit of a detriment to get kids on campus...

M's recruiting outside of Darius Morris has been very midwestern (Indiana, Illinois, Ohio & Michigan kids), its hard to get a kid from too far away if you don't offer the recruit before he's been on campus.

Comment

• FWIW its a bit of a dead period for basketball recruiting; in basketball things heat up in June, when the kids are getting out of school; deciding where to visit, attending camps and playing in AAU ball.

Comment

• IIRC, Beilein guaranteed a scholarship for Hatch one way or the other. If he can't play basketball, he's probably going to get an academic scholarship.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Hatch is deserving of an academic one; 4.0+ gpa.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                              World Wide Wes is John Calipari's best friend, he also somehow is 'friends' with most every top 30 recruit in the nation and half the NBA's first round draftees...

After Kentucky's National Title, Anthony Davis found World Wide Wes to give him a hug in celebration; Wes was sitting directly behind UK's bench during the Final Four...
                              World Wide Wes has been around NBA'ers for years. Rip, Iverson, LeBron are some of the guys he's been associated with, which fueled a mini-rumor back when Ivy was a Piston that LeBron might jump to Detroit when he became a FA.
                              I didn't realize he'd now attached himself to H.S. and college players.
                              I'm guessing Wes met Calipari when he was with the Nets.

Also, Wes helped protect some of the Pacers players during "The Malice at The Palace". He did not take a swing at anyone.

I haven't seen a new offer for a '13 kid in forever, I assume JB believes the class is pretty much locked in. Walton, Hatch, Irvin & Donnal; though its pretty well established Hatch will be a '14 recruit if he can play at his previous level again... I assume JB is still recruiting kids but his assistance to have open scholarships to offer kids I think is a bit of a detriment to get kids on campus...

Do you mean Insistence?

Once again, we theoretically were over the limit when we signed McGary. The 2012 and 13 classes were considered "full" at that point.

Also, from what I've read Coach Beilein doesn't offer a scholarship to a kid until or after the kid visits campus.
                              Last edited by *JD*; April 11, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• World Wide Wes is John Calipari's best friend, he also somehow is 'friends' with most every top 30 recruit in the nation and half the NBA's first round draftees...
                                Sounds to me like WW Wes is to basketball nationally what Eddie Martin was to h.s. basketball in Michigan in general and U of M Basketball in particular some 20 years ago

Comment

Working...
                                X