No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I misquoted the title of the article: "‘Gullible News’ Is a Worse Problem than Fake News"

You got me.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      http://www.economist.com/news/leader...ve-immigration

POLITICAL brain teaser: which party in which country has promised “punitive measures” against illegal immigration, has threatened to disenfranchise people who arrived half a century ago and has told migrants to “be prepared with their bags packed”?
      The answer is not the National Front of France, the United Kingdom Independence Party, Jobbik of Hungary or indeed any other insurgent political party in the West. It is the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party of India. The BJP and its leader, Narendra Modi, rail against immigrants from Bangladesh, of whom there might well be more in India than there are Mexicans in America (see article). This nativist ranting is evidence of a nasty strain of developing-world demagoguery.
      Ryan Avent, an Economist reporter, has a new book out called the Wealth of Humans, that has some good explanatory reach, IMO. Or just listen/watch him present it in a speech here: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sqLnVIEOM0&t=2455s"]The Wealth of Humans: work, power, and status in the twenty-first century - YouTube[/ame] I think it's an interesting connection of the various dots on the board: technology, globalization, the universal basic-income argument, and automation. Essentially he's hoping that, once the robots take all our jobs, they will replace immigrants and foreigners as the ``them'' in the us vs them struggle.

Comment

• What I do not trust are Donald Trump's motives or judgment. Apparently you do. I wish you, and the rest of us, the best of luck with that.
        Thanks. Should a great four years! It won't be so great for you'll attribute every decision to ill motive, but that's your cross to bear.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          I misquoted the title of the article: "‘Gullible News’ Is a Worse Problem than Fake News"

You got me.
          We could have a productive discussion, or an unproductive one. We could find ways to agree, or find ways to disagree.

It is worth a mention, though, that headlines are a massive problem. Most people read just the headlines, and they are very often inaccurate in precisely this sensational way.

Comment

• Soundly taking on the inequality arguments: http://www.the-american-interest.com...equality-hype/

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Thanks. Should a great four years! It won't be so great for you'll attribute every decision to ill motive, but that's your cross to bear.
              Ha! Says the guy who voted for HRC.

Comment

• Nothing Talent says here should be attributable to an ill motive. He's here in this forum because of the quality of the discussion, and he does not aim to degrade it.

Comment

• We could have a productive discussion, or an unproductive one. We could find ways to agree, or find ways to disagree.
                  You're correct. If you want to post something about an article that, apparently you like, in parts, but still think is incomplete, that's great. If you want to lead off that thought taking my use of quotation marks to task, then you've set the tone.

That's fine with me. I treat the post accordingly and move on none the worse for wear.
                  Last edited by iam416; January 5, 2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Hack.. so you're saying he has no intent..
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Are you asking me to say he's either fake or gullible?

Comment

• Ha! Says the guy who voted for HRC.
                        And Kasich in the primary. That's two votes against DJT! That ought to suggest I'm not willing to blindly take him at his word. But that doesn't mean I'll blindly shit on everything he does.

I get the optics of your position, Hoss, but on this one I think it's been in the works for awhile. We disagree.

Comment

• Not that I don't think the CIA lies routinely, but weren't they actually one of the voices against the Iraq War? Their intelligence suggested Saddam had no WMD's I thought? It was the Bush Admin people and maybe the NSA that were beating the drums.

What's laughable is when Trump says not to listen to the CIA because they got us into Iraq but then nominates John Bolton to be #2 at the State Dept.

Comment

• But that supports the bigger point -- intelligence IS politicized. And, by and large, it's not very good intelligence. I'm for shrinking the bureaucracies too, to an extent. The problem is that if you shrink one and not another you further warp the perspective of policymakers. It does count as the further deterioration of an important institution.

Comment

• Never mind, I see that Tenet was one of the key figures suggesting they had an airtight case. I thought I had read recently that the CIA was very wary about Iraq...maybe that referred more to the rank-and-file. Withdraw first part of my post...point still stands that Trump clearly doesn't think being an Iraq War advocate disqualifies you from being considered a wise sage, so long as you're telling him what he wants to hear NOW

Comment

• Just get used to the expediency. You could spend all day pointing out the inconsistencies. Trump doesn't care.

Comment

Working...
                                X