No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruitt and DeVos are the nominations that could do the most damage long term.
    They certainly have the most potential to affect the most change, and if you like the status quo, I guess that would be damage. Fortunately, 75% of Americans don't want the status quo. The Rs will be too enamored of power to do away with the Dept of Education, which is a move even government school teachers would applaud,

CGVT's post implies the confirmation is going too quickly. I have no doubt that Betsy DeVos would have a complicated financial statement. Shoot, she was a Prince of the Prince Corp., and her father-in-law is Rich DeVos who founded Amway. She probably has a financial interest in the Orlando Magic, and her brother was the founder and owner of Blackwater (navy seal, special ops and all that).

So we now have to wait for an ethics panel to investigate DeVos/Van Andel/Prince? That should take four years. Probably best for the Rs to nominate only those who have spent their lives spending other people's money rather than their own. We know folks like Hillary Clinton are ethically pure.

Trump's nominations, taken as a whole, are comforting to those like me who mistrust Trump. I know DeVos is taking no pay, and I've heard the same about Tillerson. Personally, I'd have thought Trump would have shown his closet-progressive side by now.

Whitley, where did you hear that about the income tax? Whenever the government wants to "cut taxes", hold your wallet.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; January 15, 2017, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
      I didn't think you had any ideas about inner city schools or about norms of political behavior, or, frankly, much else. You behave exactly like a well-trained parrot, except the parrot doesn't have a government-subsidized job.
      You know nothing, but think you have it all figured out.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Da Geezer is a creep. I've never voted to eat, but that won't stop his BS. He is a creepy guy, don't engage him.
        Last edited by froot loops; January 15, 2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• I think there may not a set definition of the word ``norms''. In truth I think there is one, and it is clear and there's a reason why suddenly we're talking about norms right now, but for whatever reason people are wandering beyond the clear boundaries of the actual meaning of the word in this context. I would be genuinely interested in an actual scorecard, if it were actually possible.

Comment

• Trump tells Bild (German newspaper) that NATO is obsolete, Merkel is garbage, and he's considering slapping a 35% import duty on all foreign-built BMW's.

Comment

• It should be noted that General Mattis just days ago called NATO the greatest military alliance in history. Today Trump is calling it obsolete

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                I'm a liberal. I believe in liberty.
                LOL! Liberals and liberty, that's rich.
                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/820770981069213697[/ame]

Comment

• I guess the GOP is truly the party of Putin.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I guess the GOP is truly the party of Putin.
                      The vast majority is NOT...but Trump is pro-Putin and so is the Alt Right.

The mainstream Republicans are torn between wanting to get a domestic agenda passed, which they need Trump for, and slapping Trump's hand on FP

Comment

• The vast majority is very quiet then. That or they are opportunists, this is Russian stuff is ridiculous.

Comment

• It's Fake News
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I think there may not a set definition of the word ``norms''. In truth I think there is one, and it is clear and there's a reason why suddenly we're talking about norms right now, but for whatever reason people are wandering beyond the clear boundaries of the actual meaning of the word in this context. I would be genuinely interested in an actual scorecard, if it were actually possible.
                            Well, give us a definition to work with. You introduced the subject. And while you are at it, please give me a historical example of the Rs violating political norms. It doesn't have to be as extreme as the Bork hearings, just an example. Something on the order of doing away with the filibuster for nominees. A scorecard isn't necessary if only one side is rewriting the rules.

Comment

• LOL! Liberals and liberty, that's rich.
                              Favoring liberty is exactly what the word "liberal" has meant throughout history.

Comment

• lib?er?ty ˈlibərdē/ noun

1. the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views. "compulsory retirement would interfere with individual liberty"

synonyms: independence, freedom, autonomy, sovereignty, self-government, self-rule, self-determination

Comment

Working...
                                X