No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The white people of Texas are more Conservative than the white people of California. The same might apply to the Hispanics as well.

Comment

• The ideal of multiculturalism and that we will all one day live as one big happy, post-racial family is ivory tower theory. The experiences of the Middle East for its entire history, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and modern day Sweden, Germany, Belgium, and France are harsh cold reality.

That stands out at as a workable statement. It's not a theory -- its something to work toward, and you can reap partial benefits by getting part of the way there. But you're right about history. There are some more-pleasant realities to pit against them, though they add up to a far shorter stack. But, if you're with me and Kapuscinski in believing that racism, nationalism and religion make people stupid and the world more poor and violent, then one of those three stands out as particularly intractable. With the other two, it's possible to make progress. So you might as well give it a shot, and enjoy the boost to GDP in the process. And, as talent points out, have a greater range of choices when dining out.
      Last edited by hack; January 25, 2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        This is why a lot of people have pointed to Texas slowly becoming a blue state or toss-up at a minimum by 2030. The Hispanic birthrate is significantly higher than the white one as well. On top of that, lots of internal transplants that are moving to places like Houston & Austin are from liberal areas of the country.

On your other point I would guess that there's a bigger political difference between California/Texas white folks than Hispanics.
        ...but what changes if they are running up the score in districts that are already blue?

Here is the county-by-county presidential results for 2016 (Top), 2008 and 2012. Not a lot of change happening here.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          People moving to where the jobs are isn't an ivory-tower theory.
          The belief this is the only dynamic taking place is the ivory-tower theory.

That people also move to modern day welfare states for gimmiedats is reality. That criminals are attracted to lucrative new grounds that they can get to easily is reality. That immigrants bring their cultures with them is reality. That this culture now includes Collectivist attitudes that don't fit in with the Capitalist system that brought them here is reality.
          Last edited by Hannibal; January 25, 2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Texas population density 2010.

Comment

• They're not particularly close to electing Ds statewide. Whatever analogy you want to make. It's still very, very ugly for Ds in Texas.

Which is why I asked the question.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Everyone wants a gimmedat. Trump voters want ``our jobs'' back. Trump wants to use the power of his office to get people to stay in his hotel; McConnell's wife wants regulatory power over the family business. Phone companies want subsidies; oil companies want diplomats to do their lobbying for them; banks want bailouts. All of these are far costlier to the country and balance sheet than the small sliver of gimmedats with which you are obsessed. That doesn't make any sense. Selective focus rather than real understanding of the situation.

Comment

• So, again, with Texas at 46/37/12, why is it that Ted Cruz will win in 2018 in a walk? Meanwhile, in California, an R isn't even on the ballot in 2016 and it's two Ds battling for the Senate?

I mean, I get that white folks are more conservative in Texas, but that's not enough, IMO. Hispanics, it would seem, also have to be more conservative to account for the massive differences in voting patterns.

Comment

• Well, Ted will be running a senate campaign that is statewide for one thing. If he was running for 9th District would he cross 30%?

One presidential race that looks markedly different from the other three I posted was 2004...when W was popular with Hispanics. He locked down Dallas/FW metro area, among other urban counties.
                    Last edited by Wild Hoss; January 25, 2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• I thought I was fairly clear with what puzzled me:

Re demographics, I just saw that the breakdown in Texas is (W/H/B): 46/37/12. The only states with a lower white population are California (40/37/6 + 13 Asian), New Mexico is 40/46/2) and Hawaii (only 22W).

I guess I find Texas surprising because it is so decidedly Republican. I mean, it's very comparable to California. I wonder how minority votes split in Texas. I wonder if there's a cultural assimilation factor that influences voting patterns. Are California hispanics more likely to vote D than Texas hispanics at a statistically significant rate?

I mean, on its face you'd have Texas in a toss-up category, at best, and probably D.
                      Statewide is the question. I'd be curious to see how the 9th District splits relative to, say, California hispanics. But mostly I'm curious as to how a state that is 45/37/12 is so unambiguously republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                        Everyone wants a gimmedat. Trump voters want ``our jobs'' back. Trump wants to use the power of his office to get people to stay in his hotel; McConnell's wife wants regulatory power over the family business. Phone companies want subsidies; oil companies want diplomats to do their lobbying for them; banks want bailouts. All of these are far costlier to the country and balance sheet than the small sliver of gimmedats with which you are obsessed. That doesn't make any sense. Selective focus rather than real understanding of the situation.
                        The only item on that list that approaches the current scale of the (still rapidly growing) American welfare state is the bank bailouts. Wanting back jobs is a fuzzy gray area. I'm generally not sympathetic to it FWIW. But if job losses are the result of punitive foreign tariffs or currency manipulation, then I'll at least listen.

But in general, I agree. People want something for nothing. It's human nature. So can we at least limit the number of people eligible, please?
                        Last edited by Hannibal; January 25, 2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Well if you want to look at immigration, on balance, the numbers show that it adds to GDP. So immigration is a net addition on the balance sheet, and not a subtraction. If your issue is debt/deficit you should focus on the real issues here.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            I thought I was fairly clear with what puzzled me:

Statewide is the question. I'd be curious to see how the 9th District splits relative to, say, California hispanics. But mostly I'm curious as to how a state that is 45/37/12 is so unambiguously republican.
                            I'm sure some Hispanic R candidates draw off some votes from that subgroup that does not follow with the AA community.

Comment

• My community?
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                My community?
                                [youtube]GKdDZeHKWhY[/youtube]

Comment

Working...
                                X