Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL:
    There's virtually no one with any credibility that believes Russia wasn't involved in the DNC hack and did not prefer Trump to Clinton. Why this is the case is debatable. It doesn't have to be that Trump was in league with Putin. He clearly is more favorable to striking up an alliance with Putin than any other mainstream US politician of the past 20 years. It could also be that Putin knew he'd be a hot mess as a President, spoke often of reducing America's role in the world, and Putin saw an opportunity for Russia to step into the vacuum. For Putin is forever seeking foreign triumphs to make the domestic audience forget their lives are shit.
    There are things here that I agree with. Putin could have preferred Trump without colluding with the Trump. Certainly, Trump's stance that NATO countries should keep their treaty obligation to pay 2% had/has the potential to disrupt NATO, which is a Russian aim. As far as the ME is involved, Russia made such significant gains during the last 8 years, it might now be in Russia's interest to consolidate those gains.

CNN had an hour special on Putin maybe 2 weeks ago. Their overriding thesis was that Putin went through a period where his hold on power was tenuous, and at that time Hillary said things Putin interpreted as helping his opposition. He developed a hatred of Hillary, says CNN's reporting. That was the thesis, no evidence given. Interesting though (along with about 2 minutes saying Putin's personal wealth may be twice that of Bill Gates).

As I've said, I think the most likely reason that Russia had for influencing the election against Hillary (assuming arguendo that they did) was simply that she had a 90% probability of winning and Putin wanted to rain on her parade. I believe that Putin saw her election as inevitable. I think he looked forward to 8 more years of "leading from behind" with Russia making further gains, and simply didn't see any downside to "sponsoring" the leaking of DNC emails. I'd like to see evidence of Russia helping Wikileaks, but I can see that happening without colluding with the Trump campaign. Further, I don't see post-election contacts between Trump world and the Russians as either unusual or ominous. And, I don't think Trump would have called on Putin to release Hillary's 33,000 emails if there had actually been collusion. JMO.

What is fact is that 52% of Democrats believe Russia actually affected the voting machines during the election. They say things like"
    It wasn't just a hack of the DNC, the Russians were hacking the voter databases.
    for which there is no evidence or even logic.

Finally, Putin has most certainly "undermined our democracy", not by anything done by Russia during the last 9 months, but rather by Democrats seizing upon a "Russian connection" to explain their loss. When you forty-year-old fellows get to be my age, you will look back and see that Trumps "shock" election was a result of people not wanting to tell pollsters that they were supporting Trump, viewing him unfavorably as a person, but still voting for his policies.

Comment

• Bannon is off the NSC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
        DSL:

There are things here that I agree with. Putin could have preferred Trump without colluding with the Trump. Certainly, Trump's stance that NATO countries should keep their treaty obligation to pay 2% had/has the potential to disrupt NATO, which is a Russian aim. As far as the ME is involved, Russia made such significant gains during the last 8 years, it might now be in Russia's interest to consolidate those gains.

CNN had an hour special on Putin maybe 2 weeks ago. Their overriding thesis was that Putin went through a period where his hold on power was tenuous, and at that time Hillary said things Putin interpreted as helping his opposition. He developed a hatred of Hillary, says CNN's reporting. That was the thesis, no evidence given. Interesting though (along with about 2 minutes saying Putin's personal wealth may be twice that of Bill Gates).

As I've said, I think the most likely reason that Russia had for influencing the election against Hillary (assuming arguendo that they did) was simply that she had a 90% probability of winning and Putin wanted to rain on her parade. I believe that Putin saw her election as inevitable. I think he looked forward to 8 more years of "leading from behind" with Russia making further gains, and simply didn't see any downside to "sponsoring" the leaking of DNC emails. I'd like to see evidence of Russia helping Wikileaks, but I can see that happening without colluding with the Trump campaign. Further, I don't see post-election contacts between Trump world and the Russians as either unusual or ominous. And, I don't think Trump would have called on Putin to release Hillary's 33,000 emails if there had actually been collusion. JMO.

What is fact is that 52% of Democrats believe Russia actually affected the voting machines during the election. They say things like"
        for which there is no evidence or even logic.

Finally, Putin has most certainly "undermined our democracy", not by anything done by Russia during the last 9 months, but rather by Democrats seizing upon a "Russian connection" to explain their loss. When you forty-year-old fellows get to be my age, you will look back and see that Trumps "shock" election was a result of people not wanting to tell pollsters that they were supporting Trump, viewing him unfavorably as a person, but still voting for his policies.
        False on the lack of evidence of Russian hackers hacking into databases. Read up before speaking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          We've had good reason to stay out of Syria to this point, and while yesterday's atrocity is spectacular in nature and an affront to human dignity, those reasons haven't changed IMO. That war is a hodgepodge of horrible actors with conflicting goals, and a slice of innocents intermingled.

I said it years ago, and I believe its still true today, if not moreso; there is no "Win" for us in Syria. Only multiple types and degrees of losses.
          Fundamentally agree.

I'm not sure the UN, other than just talking about it and giving nations an opportunity to posture, has any substantial sway internationally in this. The Security Council could conceivably come up with some sort of action but Russia will veto it. So, why bother.

I'd like to see some trade sanctions/freezing accounts back on for the two players in this, Iran and Russia. Fuck them.

The next thing I'd do is go deep and assassinate Assad then let his supporters, wherever and whoever they are know the circumstances.

Yeah, yeah ..... I know. Illegal and not our way of doing business.

Wake up if you feel that way. The world is an ugly place full of bad people who believe they can not be held accountable and because of that are threats to humanity. Always has been, always will be.

It can and should be done.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Yeah, yeah ..... I know. Illegal and not our way of doing business.

Wake up if you feel that way. The world is an ugly place full of bad people who believe they can not be held accountable and because of that are threats to humanity. Always has been, always will be.

It can and should be done.
            A believer in the Ryan Doctrine I see. ;)

I know the thinking is that such an approach is bad for business, and there are legitimate reasons to think that way. Times are a-changin’ too however...so much of warfare, and political competition in general, is asymmetrical now. In that light, is it moral to spend billions and kill thousands in a traditional warfare campaign to defeat the agenda of one man, or a small cadre, (with no guarantees of success) than it is to apply technology to more surgical, if traditionally distasteful, means?

Comment

• Bannon is off the NSC.
              good news.

I'll point out once again the differing paradigm that a businessman has from a politician. Business people are always trying new things, new combinations of inputs. Some work and some don't (think New Coke or McDonald's all-day breakfast). In business, actors know some things may or may not work, and the mark of a good businessman is cutting losses on bad ideas (here again, the market is the final arbiter).

Politicians view this as chaos. They are reluctant to ever acknowledge mistakes.

It's good that Flynn is out, and it's good that Bannon is not a principal on the NSC. None of this is earth-shattering or worthy of the amount of coverage it gets from the haters.

Comment

• I'd kill Un first

and his entire lineage.

its not his nukes that are as worrisome as all that artillery he has to wipe out seoul pointed there right now

but if you don't do it right the first time you have a madman pulling the trigger on everything in his range

Comment

• Nikki Haley at the UN about an hour ago:

Comment

• Ent, being at ground zero of any North Korean ICBM, I am more than a little concerned about it.

Re: Syria, does this change anyone's thoughts on refugees?
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      I'll point out once again the differing paradigm that a businessman has from a politician. Business people are always trying new things, new combinations of inputs. Some work and some don't (think New Coke or McDonald's all-day breakfast). In business, actors know some things may or may not work, and the mark of a good businessman is cutting losses on bad ideas (here again, the market is the final arbiter).

Politicians view this as chaos. They are reluctant to ever acknowledge mistakes.

This is nonsense. Since the financial crisis government has absorbed many former Wall Streeters. According to your cartoonishly exaggerated diagnosis they are checking their past at the door and adopting an entirely new and foreign-to-them approach. That is of course not reality. Your approach seems to have no room for reality-based inputs. It's all just extreme versions of on-paper theories.

In truth, in business you have the full range of approaches, from completely risk-averse to very reckless. I think a genuine understanding of commerce incorporates that over the life of a product different approaches are needed, ranging from pro-competition to anti-competition. Same goes for government -- you have innovators and caretakers there too.

Real insights can be applied once you acknowledge that you can take equally-abled people and expect different results once you shift the goals. It's pretty easy to set and achieve goals when they amount to ``make money''. ``Govern'' isn't as simple. There are gonna be people great at both, one or the other, or neither. But it is intellectually childish to insist that this kind is always like that and that kind is always like this. Most people might buy into that, because the right-wing media feeds them that trite and packaged narrative, but you are too smart for that. You are able to rise above that garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                        I'd kill Un first

and his entire lineage.

its not his nukes that are as worrisome as all that artillery he has to wipe out seoul pointed there right now.......
                        Kill Un ........ Not a bad idea, I don't give a fuck about what order they go but the world is made a slightly better place by assassinating Assad and Un.

On your second point. Artillery pointed at Seoul. You seem to have some insight on this. A while ago, mid to late 80s actually ...... but my Squadron did a shit ton of reconnaissance missions in and around that part of South Korea.

I can tell those of you reading here first hand what Crash offers IS the main threat to S. Korea.

Over the last decade, US forces previously stationed in S. Korea have diminished significantly. N. Korea would over-run the South in a matter of weeks using purely conventional forces as the rest of the world stood by and watched. The Japanese get this and their willingness to re-militarize as the case may be is based on this known threat.

Believe me, I'm not in any way a Trump supporter but his statements today regarding hoping China will help the US in dealing with Un and the rest of his military is spot on.

I do think Trump with his bravado and a potential willingness to reinforce the Korean Peninsula/South Korea and increase military presence and activity there has potential.

Let Un react to that instead of the rest of the world reacting to him firing off missiles into the South China Sea and Sea of Japan and then the West impotently yammering about it.

Joint Military Training Op with the Chinese? I could see that as useful. Maybe the USN could teach the Chinese how to use their new Aircraft Carrier before they kill off too many pilots. Let's see if the "deal-maker' Trump claims to be is worth a shit.
                        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 5, 2017, 02:32 PM.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Whatever the reasons behind it, Bannon being out of the NSC is a good thing.

Fox's John Roberts actually mentioned that Trump feels Bannon has been taking too much of the limelight lately...lol

Comment

• On Bannon ...... Trumpsters in DC are spinning this as Bannon's assignment is over. He did Trump's bidding - keeping an eye on the NSC as he moved into the Presidency.

There's possibly a little bit of truth in that.

Comment

• Right. All part of the plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                                Ent, being at ground zero of any North Korean ICBM, I am more than a little concerned about it.

Re: Syria, does this change anyone's thoughts on refugees?
                                What do they look like??

Comment

Working...
                                X