No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think its time for a two faceted mercy rule in college ball. I think that any time there is a 42 point lead in the 2nd half, that the clock should run. (exception being for Time Outs, Injuries, Penalty enforcement or Scores.. TIPS)

The history books are not filled with thrilling 42 point comebacks. Let the clock run and get the game over with. There is no useful purpose in keeping an over-matched team on the field and continually thrash them.

I also think that any time there is a 56 point lead or more, the game should end. I don't think anyone has ever come back from 56 points down to win a game...

That way, "Coach Runitup" has a decision to make. Score the 56th point and end it, or let his foot off the gas, and play his deep bench players, and tell them to keep it between the tackles. If he wants a full 60 minute game, he's got to let up off the throttle. If he wants to end it, then he can end it.

They do it in other sports in the NCAA. I don't understand why they can't do it in football, .. and basketball, for that matter.
    Last edited by lineygoblue; September 25, 2013, 11:32 PM.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• What happens when you empty the bench and they still roll over the opponent?

College ball has become to much of a big business to short the fans of their full game.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I don't think most fans would mind too much if a game was called in the 4th quarter with their team leading by 56 points.

Comment

• Just the ones that didn't have a bet on it or a pick in a football card
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• There you go -- to many tangential reasons. An indication of how much is wrapped up in this. Not a healthy situation either way.

Comment

• Yeah I apologize to all those who love & respect the game of football that we did not start taking a knee in the 2nd quarter and continue to do so for the rest of the game. I know that's what Michigan did in their games against UMass and Delaware State, but, well, Michigan sets the standard for class acts.
              LOL @ the hypocrisy.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• oh and TV, and their sponsors, probably wouldn't be too thrilled with a mercy and dead air.

Ok, maybe not dead air, they'd just switch to a different game.

The other wrinkle the mercy rule could bring about is a race to see how soon a team could mercy a tomato can opponent. a 2ndQ mercy would replace a 63-3 shellacking.

Comment

• Sports are supposed to be competitive. Solution: incentivize teams to play competitive games. (Crazy, I know...)

Comment

• But Central and FAMU charge less to play a one-and-done.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                      But Central and FAMU charge less to play a one-and-done.
                      There's a solution to this problem, but it involves attacking a sacred cow.

Do you know what it is?

Comment

• B10 is trying to get away from those games but with resistance, Division 4 might be too. Of course they'll allow exceptions.

Comment

• I don't think any 'mercy' rule should come into effect until the 2nd half.

Networks would be just fine with an early ending game. Besides being able to switch to other games, they have dozens of talking heads like Lou Holtz and Mark May that love filling time with mindless blather. ESPN loves them, and they'd be more than happy to give them the camera time.

Comment

• Networks would be ok with that, not the sponsors

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                              Sports are supposed to be competitive. Solution: incentivize teams to play competitive games. (Crazy, I know...)
                              That's where getting rid of (or reducing the scope of) the sacred cow of revenue sharing comes into play.

Comment

• Not sure I follow. Explain?

Comment

Working...
                                X