Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that we've got that cleared up...

Trump says being President is harder than he expected; old job was a lot easier. I like that he handed the reporters souvenir electoral maps as well.

Comment

• DSL...how's that fast food career going?
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
        DSL...how's that fast food career going?
        I grew bored of McDonald's and am now at one of those KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Huts.

Comment

• That's dangerous work in Reynoldsburg.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Not if you just stay calm, don't look at their face, and do what they say quickly. You get used to it.

Comment

• You're a brave man, sir.

Comment

• When you start off working night shift in Whitehall, you're well prepared for life.

Comment

• Heh. So -- serious question -- how do you like Columbus? Better or worse than Cleveland?

Comment

• DSL got pissed at Mickey D's for drppping orange soda from the menu...fuckers...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Heh. So -- serious question -- how do you like Columbus? Better or worse than Cleveland?
                      This'll sound corny but there's a ton more positive energy around Columbus. Just drive up and down High street from downtown to north of Lane and there's construction everywhere. The entire university area is becoming almost unrecognizable from even the 90's. I feel a lot more secure that if I ever got laid off I could find a comparable job around Columbus fairly quickly. Up north it'd be doubtful.

There's things about Cleveland that I miss, mostly related to culture. Cleveland's advantage is only really in immeasurables. Just about everything in Columbus is nicer, the suburbs are unquestionably nicer...but are all mostly generic and lack the character of places like Parma, Shake Heights, Lakewood. That said, I don't think I'd ever move back north unless for some sort of family emergency (most of my older family still lives in Lorain/Erie County but none of my siblings do).

Comment

• This'll sound corny but there's a ton more positive energy around Columbus. Just drive up and down High street from downtown to north of Lane and there's construction everywhere. The entire university area is becoming almost unrecognizable from even the 90's. I feel a lot more secure that if I ever got laid off I could find a comparable job around Columbus fairly quickly. Up north it'd be doubtful.
                        I've had 3 people in the last month say the exact same thing. Some even in stronger terms.

I still have family in Cleveland and I travel there for work a lot. Every time I'm there I feel it's just a little more jarring how different the two cities are. I definitely miss Sokolowski's, the Slovenian House, good corned beef and such -- the ethnic culture shit. But, jebus, with all things being equal, I'd pick Columbus over Cleveland 100 times out of 100. I know I wouldn't have said that 20 years ago. I really like the balance of the suburbs -- basically in any direction from downtown it's nice with the slight except of the garbage dump -- F Grovetucky!

Hey, and don't sell the strip mall Asian culture in NW Columbus short! And I'm actually not kidding.

Comment

• I do like that stretch of High street, I'll take that route out of Columbus rather than taking the freeway even though it takes twice as long. A lot of good restaurants there.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            I've had 3 people in the last month say the exact same thing. Some even in stronger terms.

I still have family in Cleveland and I travel there for work a lot. Every time I'm there I feel it's just a little more jarring how different the two cities are. I definitely miss Sokolowski's, the Slovenian House, good corned beef and such -- the ethnic culture shit. But, jebus, with all things being equal, I'd pick Columbus over Cleveland 100 times out of 100. I know I wouldn't have said that 20 years ago. I really like the balance of the suburbs -- basically in any direction from downtown it's nice with the slight except of the garbage dump -- F Grovetucky!

Hey, and don't sell the strip mall Asian culture in NW Columbus short! And I'm actually not kidding.
                            Heh, I know the Bethel Road strip mall you're talking about.

I'm really into craft beer and the micobrewery scene around Columbus is outstanding. There's been probably a dozen new ones that've opened just in the few years I've lived here. I worry about the bubble bursting for some of the places but hey...the beer culture has really surged ahead of Cleveland's, IMO.

Comment

• Heh, I know the Bethel Road strip mall you're talking about.
                              There's actually lots of them! Asians galore in Dublin!

the beer culture has really surged ahead of Cleveland's, IMO.
                              Correct.

I worry about the bubble bursting for some of the places
                              State government + giant research university = fairly good protection against a significant downturn. In 2008, Columbus fared much better than Cleveland, IMO.

I do like that stretch of High street
                              Yeah, they've managed to "connect" downtown to campus with nice stuff. When I was in school it was not nice. Which was fine by me at the time. But it's a completely different world now -- less than 20 years later (it was on its way by the time graduated law school school in 1999....it was still completely seedy awesomeness when I started undergrad in 1991).

Comment

• Ah, by 'bubble bursting' i meant specifically for the microbreweries. There's so many now that they have to be reaching as much as the market can handle. Your Northwest/West side is sort of the empty void for breweries though!

Agree that Columbus is much better insulated against a recession.

Comment

Working...
                                X