No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be interesting to see how the Detroit area population numbers fare in the next 10 years, it's finally to the point where they are no longer losing residents in the city by next year. Still a lot of work to be done.

Comment

• Was there 2 years ago for the first time in 5-6 and was really impressed with the progress. Getting the stadium built will do similar things that staples center did to dtla. Will be exciting to watch.

Comment

• Yeah, the downtown area is 1000 percent better than it was before Ford Field/Comerica Park. in some respects it was a modern ghost town. The new stadium will be a big deal on the other side of the freeway. Hopefully the neighborhood initiatives work. Some of those are still ghost towns.

Comment

• I don't see what the long-term economic driver is, but it's really come so far. People are trying to make a go living down there and sending their kids to private schools, and if that works, you could see it. Without question there's a ton about it that's more appealing than DC to me. Much better food and entertainment options. Much more interesting and creative retail space. People can get into a spot cheaply and do their thing. Here, rents are too expensive for sole-proprietor creativity. DC is so much more bland and lame because of it. I think a lot of people see this about Detroit and react positively to it.

Comment

• Youngstown-Warren (544,746) -3.72%

Well that's no surprise, given the massive surge in corruption since YSU hired its new president in 2014.

Comment

• Hack, btw, I'm in Costa Rica til July then fly to D.C. for a wedding...so plan on a few more beers!

Comment

• Dammit -- when? I'm outta town almost the whole month. Back from 20-22, and then off again.

Costa Rica looks pretty fantastic on twitter.

Comment

• Shit, I'll have to look but 13-17 sounds right. I know I'll be in Michigan on the 18th.

Comment

• Ah, bummer. Next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                      I don't see what the long-term economic driver is, but it's really come so far. People are trying to make a go living down there and sending their kids to private schools, and if that works, you could see it. Without question there's a ton about it that's more appealing than DC to me. Much better food and entertainment options. Much more interesting and creative retail space. People can get into a spot cheaply and do their thing. Here, rents are too expensive for sole-proprietor creativity. DC is so much more bland and lame because of it. I think a lot of people see this about Detroit and react positively to it.
                      The tech sector/automotive/financial has been the driver of the downtown resurgence. That and the hipsters. The key is if people move to the area from other regions and if it can survive the next downturn.

Comment

• Sure. That's a play on cheap real estate though, which is only a starting point.

But I did talk to two people with young kids, one in Lafayette Park and one in Corktown. If people like that choose to stay in the city, and do private schools or put up with public ones, that's a big deal.

Comment

• I don't know anyone with young kids moving there, something does have to happen on that front. There's not much of an option with private schools down there.

Comment

• Living dtla, I can't imagine raising kids in a downtown setting.

Comment

• When I was in Dublin last month, it was a shock to see so many little kids going to school near the downtown area.

Comment

• Here's one for you Hack, RFPs going out for high speed rail between Windsor and Toronto. 2 hour trip, maybe eventually extending into Michigan

Ontario is moving forward with an ambitious high-speed rail project that would cut Windsor-Toronto trip down to 2 hours. And Detroit may benefit, too, as plan includes possible future expansion of rail line under the Detroit river.

That would be sweet to get to Pearson.

Comment

Working...
                                X