No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian universities keep all those people on salary too, and costs have not skyrocketed.

Comment

• Not my area but isn't there pretty stark differences between how the university system is operated in Canada (? more like GB's model) than it is in the US? I believe, but don't know the numbers, there is a lot more public money derived from taxation in the University system in Canada (and in Europe according to the article I posted above) than in the US. I can see how, in the US public university system, that relies on tuition, endowments and gifts, to a greater extent than public money to run these places, there are substantial differences in respective budgets.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I've always wanted to look into this. I don't have anything certain to say save for that Cdn universities aren't rolling in alumni dollars. I do know U of M vs U of Toronto somewhat well as a layman. Same size student body, breadth of academic areas of study, research focus. If I looked into it I'm sure I would find a smaller operational flow chart and a lower cost structure too. But I would guess it's not because of faculty.

But I think this would be a really interesting thing to look into.

Comment

• I bet HARBAUGH! could whup up on the U of Toronto...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• No doubt. Nebraska couldn't though.

Comment

• LAIR!
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Tech dweeb failing cucks clearly intimidated by a real alpha businessman

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/876997685852737541[/ame]

Comment

• personally I think about the 10th grade or so we begin to point kids in the right direction. Nothing worse then some kid getting a business degree and 100+K in debt to go to a job that takes him 15 years to pay off his debt making nothing to manage a store of some sort

college tuition is a racket for the generic degrees when kids might be better off pointed at trade school earlier on if they are rather then getting a crap degree. I realize the body take beating but some of those trades are making a helluva lot more an hour then everybody but talent

one of the things shrinking the pool of providers is the 300-400 thousand dollar price tag for a physician to eventually go practice in Podunk Nebraska and be reimbursed by 50% of America at the paltry medicare or obamacare rates.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                      .........one of the things shrinking the pool of providers is the 300-400 thousand dollar price tag for a physician to eventually go practice in Podunk Nebraska and be reimbursed by 50% of America at the paltry medicare or obamacare rates.
                      Nope. Medical School applications continue to rise.

Find the latest news, current trends, and ongoing conversations about the most important topics in academic medicine.

However, I agree with your overall point in your post. Up thread, there's a post stating that the best way (and cheapest) to get kids into training programs that will provide an actual job at a reasonable cost is to change the way people think about going to college.

I'd offer that starts at the secondary education system in the US. Most HSs start talking about "college prep" as soon as the kids set foot in the building and sometimes even before that (depending on how the secondary education system is structured by state).

To me, getting state governments to incentivize (tax breaks?) businesses to work with local state boards of education in shaping curricula at the secondary level to facilitate getting kids into training programs that meet the needs of employers within a state may be one way to go.

There needs to be a paradigm shift in the way education and training beyond and within HS is designed. Lots of countries use testing schemes for the 12-14yo kids to identify who goes where.

Families can help change attitudes towards where their kids will go from HS as well and I see a federal role in that endeavor. But, it seems to me that the long standing notion that Moms and Dads want their son's and daughter's to be Doctors and Lawyers still has a very strong impact on how inefficient the US educational system after HS is in matching training output to an employer's educational needs.
                      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 20, 2017, 08:58 AM.
                      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I think I largely agree with you Jeff, although I wouldn't assign kids to tracks like they do elsewhere. They should have the freedo to follow thier oath.

I would however, change up the College model. There is a lot of value to a liberal arts education, but it's not job training. Likewise, there is a lot of value in Law School, but it is (kind of) job training without the well rounded nature of a liberal arts education. Likewise, there is tremendous value to the accumulation of knowledge and research that universities do, but not necessarily for the undergrads.

If I were king of the world (scary thought I know) I would separate each of them (at least philosophically) and allow kids to go to school for job training (biz school, engineering, computer science, plumbing, carpentry, etc) without the liberal arts parts, or go and do research, or to get a classic liberal arts education.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I don't have answers, but I know it's too costly. People are gonna try this and that and it won't work out and they'll need to go back to school. Professions are going to get disrupted and people will need to retrain. For whatever reason, and whatever it is people choose to do, the economy will be better off if they can afford to train themselves. That's not the case now. Education is just another thing that's been overcommercialized.

Comment

• I think Law School is a poster child for excessive education and, accordingly, excessive costs. The only thing I gained from a 3rd year of law school was an extra year of maturity -- marginal at best. I think it should be no more than a 2-yr program and I'd be fine with a 1-yr track.

As for cost, it's a very odd model that, inter alia, (a) is sort of "how much can you afford?"; (b) propped up by a bunch of free money that isn't really free; and (c) foists unnecessary costs (i.e., classes) upon its consumers.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• In entirely unrelated news, the Supreme Court held that "The Slants" was a registerable trademark and that the "disparagement" clause of the Lanham Act is unconstitutional. Government doesn't get to decide what offends (the marketplace, of course, retains that very loud voice). Some decisions are remarkably easy. 8-0 w/ Gorsuch recusal.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Good for America.

Go Washington Redskins ...... and whomever else has some potentially politically incorrect sports name that fans have cheered on under that moniker for decades.

Comment

Working...
                                X