No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's shocking to me that so many of these "marchers" dropped all pretense and ulterior motive and showed their true identity by donning nazi gear, and sieg heiling. While it wasn't all of them, it was a sufficient quantity to establish that the nazis make up a good portion of this faction. I guess I was naive.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      It's shocking to me that so many of these "marchers" dropped all pretense and ulterior motive and showed their true identity by donning nazi gear, and sieg heiling. While it wasn't all of them, it was a sufficient quantity to establish that the nazis make up a good portion of this faction. I guess I was naive.
      Many of us have been naive AA. This Nazi/Confed movement has slowly and insidiously crept out of the shadows and become normalized by the tacit acceptance of the body politic in recent years.

I made a comment to this effect in here yesterday, before the attack. I was wrong. I still don't believe that protesting and counterprotesting is all that effective, and can sometimes be counterproductive. But the sentiment I expressed that these thugs should be ignored was an error in judgment. They need to be shamed back into the deep crevices of political- and social- life where they belong.

Comment

• There was a time when I would have believed enough in "the marketplace of ideas" to think that you can just counter this stuff with facts. I don't think that's true or wise anymore. I agree this needs to be quarantined.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Prominent Republican politicians across the board were calling out white supremacists and neo-nazis by name yesterday.

With one glaring exception.

So far the trump presidency has progressed like I expected. I assumed republicans would turn on him and he wouldn't get much done. I did not expect him to basically support the klan. I assumed a lot of other things... like how he viewed women and immigrants, but not this one.. he's done in three years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Last edited by entropy; August 13, 2017, 10:24 AM.
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
            Many of us have been naive AA. This Nazi/Confed movement has slowly and insidiously crept out of the shadows and become normalized by the tacit acceptance of the body politic in recent years.

I made a comment to this effect in here yesterday, before the attack. I was wrong. I still don't believe that protesting and counterprotesting is all that effective, and can sometimes be counterproductive. But the sentiment I expressed that these thugs should be ignored was an error in judgment. They need to be shamed back into the deep crevices of political- and social- life where they belong.

You were correct. They need to be ignored. They were looking to justify their hate. They got it. Mock them and shame them, but don't give them the fight they want.. and that is what they wanted. A fight.

Last edited by entropy; August 13, 2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• I don't think you fight with them. The fight is with PDs. Enforce the laws like they are supposed to be enforced. Justice is supposed to be colorblind.

Comment

• Hack... I'm probably not as informed as you on this... but outside of the arrests made, what laws did they break that were not enforced? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Hack... I'm probably not as informed as you on this... but outside of the arrests made, what laws did they break that were not enforced? Thanks
                  I think unlawful assembly was the basis for arrests made.

It would be helpful if the media made Charlottesville a seminal moment for Donald Trump's presidency. I'll be disappointed if this turns out to disappear in a 72h news cycle sort of way.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Exactly jeff. Said the same thing last night.

Comment

• You can't prevent people from marching provided they follow procedures to get permit and such. You can stop unpermitted/mobs. It's basic shit. I assume these assclowns jumped through the hurdles.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Here's an eyewitness account: https://www.propublica.org/article/p...harlottesville. Sounds like there was cause to haul away plenty of people on both sides.

Comment

• Not sure if they did or not... if they did jump through the hurdles, agree with Hack. But the US does a poor job of arresting people for unlawful assemblies in general. It is a problem and it appears, from what is said above, they took advantage of it.

Comment

• Thanks hack. Standing on the sidelines is not acceptable. Agree. If it was the other way around, tear gas and dogs would have been used

Comment

• Entropy:

Permits were granted to both the white supremacists and the counter-protesters.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Talent.. I thought so.... too many people for it to be an unlawful assembly.

But I this morning I questioned that based upon the comments.....

Comment

Working...
                                X