No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say what you will about the tenets of Whataboutism Jim, at least it's an ethos.

Comment

• And it certainly has been embraced
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Indeed

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Say what you will about the tenets of Whataboutism Jim, at least it's an ethos.

What the fuck are you talking about? The Chinaman is not the issue here, Froot! I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Froot. Across this line, you do not ? also, Froot, "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Great story showing the Trump mentality and obsession with image over substance.

Pissed that his crowd wasn't big enough to fill the Phoenix venue, Trump fires his longtime rally organizer. And of course he didn't do it himself; he sent his loyal private security goon to deliver the bad news.

Comment

• I think Sheriff Joe should have had a jury decide whether he committed a crime. Of course, that was impossible in the progressive prosecution, since no jury would have ever convicted him. What exactly did he do? Arrest illegal aliens?

I'd appreciate one of you progs explaining to me why Sheriff Joe was not entitled to a jury trial.

Comment

• I'm not sure I'm a "prog" and I'm certainly not a lawyer, but google tells me "There is no constitutional right to a jury trial for criminal contempt charges resulting in a sentence of imprisonment of six months or less."
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• He had an appeal about that subject, now we'll never know if the appeal would have overturned the conviction. The pardon ensured he is a convicted felon that has to admit his guilt. If any dirty cop needed to be seated in general population it is that guy. Because he was as dirty.as they come.
                  Last edited by froot loops; August 28, 2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                    I think Sheriff Joe should have had a jury decide whether he committed a crime. Of course, that was impossible in the progressive prosecution, since no jury would have ever convicted him. What exactly did he do? Arrest illegal aliens?

I'd appreciate one of you progs explaining to me why Sheriff Joe was not entitled to a jury trial.
                    There is no constitutional right to a jury trial when the offense is a petty one punishable only by six months or less, in this case contempt of court.

Joe Arpaio, the former Sheriff of Maricopa County, AZ, was found guilty of criminal contempt of court by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton on July 31, 2017. Apparently Arpaio requested a trial by ju...

Sheriff Joe's lawyers didn't even attempt to argue that everyone is entitled to a jury trial; they themselves acknowledged that's not the case. Instead they argued that no judge can fairly determine if another judge's decision was proper without the semblance of impropriety and therefore Joe was entitled to a jury. Unsurprisingly the second judge was not impressed by this argument. You can read their response and request for a jury trial.

Comment

• You're out of your element, AA.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• CGVT,

Has the whole world gone CRAZY? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? You think I'm fuckin' around, MARK IT ZERO!!!

Comment

• That must be exhausting.

Comment

• Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Comment

• Dunno if anyone is real familiar with Houston (I'm not) but hearing serious chatter that many levees along the Brazos river in Fort Bend County could fail overnight.(SW side of Houston metro near Sugar Land). Flood waters are apparently already beyond what they were built for and the river isn't close to its expected crest Wednesday morning.

Comment

• Presidential pardons are absolute. If you like the guy/women/trans (hello, Chelsea Manning!) then it's a wise decision. If you don't, well, it's awful. In this case, the comparisons to Obama's pardons are appropriate to illustrate at least that point. Commuting a six month sentence (as opposed to a life sentence or 30 some years for Manning) is about as symbolic as it gets. The electorate will decide. And, as an election issue, immigration is one that, IMO, very clearly favors Rs.

But that's all an aside to the excellent Lebowski work being done here. "Preferred nomenclature" is a favorite of mine -- that whole scene is brilliant.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X