Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Talent are you saying that there is an appropriate amount of violent and completely unjustified executions? Wiz doesn't count, because any justification is justification enough. People from Ohio don't count because they are people from Ohio. Big Ten referees have a baked-in justification.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
        Black neighborhoods experience higher crime rates. Therefore, race-neutral police will encounter more criminal activities in black neighborhoods. As such, they can be expected to employ lethal force against a higher proportion of black suspects.
        Oh, please. We've been through this at least 2X in the last year.

Let's not do it again.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• How do you come to this conclusion watching this video? Have you been in law enforcement, just wondering why you say this?
          Yup. FBI.

The other option would have been to cuff the perp when he was laying flat with his hands out. Cuff him, and he can't reach back.

Remember, the hotel room that may have contained other perps would have been "behind" any officer who positioned himself to the rear of the perp. There is more to this story. I think the officers thought there were other perps in the hotel room.

What that film shows is a murder (and improper police procedure).
          Last edited by Da Geezer; December 9, 2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• If that's what you got, Ed, we're done here. The depth of that analysis leads one to conclude the NBA is blatantly racist.

I'd suggest searching for and reading the Harvard study on the issue. FYI, AAs are 4x more likely to be violent felons.

Hack:

I'm not sure, on a macro scale, how many shootings of unarmed folks is enough to throw your hands up in the air and scream too much, we muse change everything. 1? 15? 25? 30? 100?

I do think the standard to hold police accountable ought to be reviewed. But refining qualified immunity isn't easy. And I'm not even sure if it'd matter with a jury of 12 people, at least several of whom will assume they're far more likely to receive police protection than get shot. It's a difficult dynamic.
            Last edited by iam416; December 9, 2017, 06:59 PM.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Harvard researchers, in order to figure out bias in police shootings, had to take into account the massive difference in violent crime rates between blacks and whites. I'm not sure why it's out of bounds for WF to raise that issue in response to a superficially silly stats argument. I mean, if we're going to talk stats, then talk stats.

Comment

• Fancystats
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  Harvard researchers, in order to figure out bias in police shootings, had to take into account the massive difference in violent crime rates between blacks and whites. I'm not sure why it's out of bounds for WF to raise that issue in response to a superficially silly stats argument. I mean, if we're going to talk stats, then talk stats.
                  8% of the population accounts for 50% of the murders.

Comment

• Remember, the hotel room that may have contained other perps would have been "behind" any officer who positioned himself to the rear of the perp.
                    FBI ok ...

Yes, that's why I posted about danger from behind. Its always easy to dissect a tragedy after the fact. Seemed like a bad shoot from watching it once

Comment

• It seems like a bad shoot from the video.

I'd like to read the transcript from the trial of the police shooter. There is more going on here than what the 5 min. video shows.

This is not racist, IMO. A white cop shoots a white perp. C'mon.

Comment

• The cop should be in jail.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                          Black neighborhoods experience higher crime rates. Therefore, race-neutral police will encounter more criminal activities in black neighborhoods. As such, they can be expected to employ lethal force against a higher proportion of black suspects.
                          Agreed, but the attorney asked for data.
                          Whatever...

Comment

• deleted
                            Last edited by Ed Balzer; December 9, 2017, 08:45 PM.
                            Whatever...

Comment

• The relevant study showed police bias against blacks for every category of police interaction save officer-involved shooting, IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Leave it to Oracle to race bait when:

...most people never heard of it precisely because the dude was white.

This incident support the conclusion that the very few dangerous cops out there don't much give fuck if you're black or white. They're just asshole sociopaths. And it also supports the conclusion that juries will tend to favor cops regardless of who they shot. The former point, of course, is backed up by actual data and evidence.
                                I don't know how that's race baiting. Police brutality is an issue in this country amongst all races and if white people see as much as possible it's not just a crutch to the black community, the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X