• Trumps stock market growth vs past Presidents

Comment

• horrible
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Trumps stock market growth vs past Presidents

https://www.axios.com/trumps-stock-m...00399198b.html
          Actually humorous.

How about changing the beginning date from January 20, 2017 to November 9, 2016? As of this morning, Dow is up over 40% since the election and NASDAQ is up 39.81%. The Trump market began the day after his election (not counting the Krugman 800 point drop) with the prospect of regulatory reform and tax cuts. Let's remember this Trump Bump is in the face of at least three raises in the fed funds rate. The Obama surge was because of zero or near zero interest rates and $ 10 Trillion in printed money.

You know, you can "prove" darned near anything with statistics. I understand that none of you progs live in the real world of regulation and burdensome taxes, but just take a chance and ask a small business owner is he is more optimistic than during 2015-6. The waterboarding has ended, and if you don't chafe under the regulatory state, then that means you are a taker. Makers appreciate what is going on in the economy.
          Last edited by Da Geezer; January 15, 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
            Actually humorous.

How about changing the beginning date from January 20, 2017 to November 9, 2016? As of this morning, Dow is up over 40% since the election and NASDAQ is up 39.81%. The Trump market began the day after his election (not counting the Krugman 800 point drop) with the prospect of regulatory reform and tax cuts. Let's remember this Trump Bump is in the face of at least three raises in the fed funds rate. The Obama surge was because of zero or near zero interest rates and $ 10 Trillion in printed money.

You know, you can "prove" darned near anything with statistics. I understand that none of you progs live in the real world of regulation and burdensome taxes, but just take a chance and ask a small business owner is he is more optimistic than during 2015-6. The waterboarding has ended, and if you don't chafe under the regulatory state, then that means you are a taker. Makers appreciate what is going on in the economy.
            So I can assume that you'll go on the record right now and say that if the market takes a big hit any point between now and the 2020 Election, Trump should receive the majority of the blame?

Comment

• ..... of course not. It's not consistent with the Trump administrations's messaging.

None of us here are stupid enough to believe the President has anything to do with the Dow or the S&P. He does have something to do with market sentiment and his messaging has demonstrated that. The threat of war or political instability does too. However, fundamentals have much more of a long term impact on the markets than market sentiment does.

The point is, and there have been several decent posts made here that make this point, the market is going to correct. The general feeling from what I read is that it is probably not going to be much but it will be something.

Interests rates are going to rise - as they should. US economic growth is going to slow. There will be more growth in international sectors than in the US. It will be interesting to see how DJT and his people react to and explain all of this.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Last edited by Kapture1; January 15, 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Markets are always buoyed by optimism...doesn't mean it's rational...or that people's moods can't change.

Fer instance...coal country certainly felt Trump would be a savior. They're finding out that Obama the Terrible and his burdensome regime of tyrannical regulation isn't the only or even the main reason the coal industry is struggling.

Missed posting this from last week...Federal regulators (4 out of 5 were appointed by Trump) unanimously reject a a plan submitted by Rick Perry that would have subsidized coal and nuclear plants.

Despite boasting that he was responsible for creating 45,000 coal jobs, Trump's own Dept of Labor does not support that claim.

49,700 coal-mining jobs in Dec. 2016
                  50,500 coal-mining jobs in Dec. 2017

The BLS Data Finder allows for search across all BLS time series databases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                    ... but just take a chance and ask a small business owner is he is more optimistic than during 2015-6. The waterboarding has ended, and if you don't chafe under the regulatory state, then that means you are a taker....
                    My wife is a sole proprietor owner of a medical practice. Obamacare inflicted a host of regulations that are 'unhelpful' to her practice. Ignoring Obamacare and just looking at the regulatory environment, there has been no relief to small business in 2017. The insurance cartel and big Pharma are the real crushers in the industry. So bad that the wife will be selling the practice and retiring this year instead of waiting until she turns 65.

Is Obama to blame? Partially. Has Chump done anything to help small business? FUCK NO. All he's done is pander to big corporate America, leaving the real job creators (small biz) out in the cold. Too busy claiming credit for an economic uptick that he has no responsibility for. #SAD!!!
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Markets are always buoyed by optimism...doesn't mean it's rational...or that people's moods can't change.

Fer instance...coal country certainly felt Trump would be a savior. They're finding out that Obama the Terrible and his burdensome regime of tyrannical regulation isn't the only or even the main reason the coal industry is struggling.

Missed posting this from last week...Federal regulators (4 out of 5 were appointed by Trump) unanimously reject a a plan submitted by Rick Perry that would have subsidized coal and nuclear plants.

Despite boasting that he was responsible for creating 45,000 coal jobs, Trump's own Dept of Labor does not support that claim.

49,700 coal-mining jobs in Dec. 2016
                      50,500 coal-mining jobs in Dec. 2017

https://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view.../CES1021210001
                      Dems consider W Virginia a shithole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                        My wife is a sole proprietor owner of a medical practice. Obamacare inflicted a host of regulations that are 'unhelpful' to her practice. Ignoring Obamacare and just looking at the regulatory environment, there has been no relief to small business in 2017. The insurance cartel and big Pharma are the real crushers in the industry. So bad that the wife will be selling the practice and retiring this year instead of waiting until she turns 65.

Is Obama to blame? Partially. Has Chump done anything to help small business? FUCK NO. All he's done is pander to big corporate America, leaving the real job creators (small biz) out in the cold. Too busy claiming credit for an economic uptick that he has no responsibility for. #SAD!!!
                        clearly you are wrong. The tax cut is a BIG help for small business. Hilarious that the policies over the last decade have been so bad on your wife's business that she is shutting it down (that part isn't funny), and it was 0bama that spend 8 years fucking things up for small business. Yet you still voted for him, and would have for a 3rd term if that were allowed.

Talk about voting against your own interests.

Comment

• Clearly you are wrong. The tax cut means little to small business. The wife doesn't make billions and therefore isn't on the end of the business tax spectrum that garnered the biggest cut. It's state taxes, local taxes, property taxes, equipment depreciation, and that sort that is onerous. Not to mention regulations. All the things that Chump's giveaway to big biz doesn't cover. Next time, think before you write - you'll come across less of a buffoon.

You presume much in stating my votes. Without scrolling up to the post that details my vote, how did I vote and why in 2016? Or just more of your buffoonery?
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Jon is right about the impact of a very real insurance cartel (that BO tried to undue with the ACA but was stopped by Congress in doing so) and big pharma (again, where the ACA had provisions to try to reduce the impact of drug pricing on the cost of care but these provisions were left on the table and never fully inacted) that hurts independent medical practice.

The shocking costs of providing the best care to patients at the working level is driving a lot of good people out of medical practice. I almost made it to 70 (stopped in July and I'll be 70 this March) but was so troubled by what was happening on the ground to most patients that I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

The regulatory environment IS another problem for small medical practices and I'm not aware of anything that wasn't already done during BO's term in office to reduce that aspect of medical care that has been done by the Trump administration. I've posted links in the recent past about why you can't unwind a lot of the stuff that is still present from the ACA and any Trump claim that he is doing that with respect to delivering medical care at the grass roots level is a pure fabrication.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So I can assume that you'll go on the record right now and say that if the market takes a big hit any point between now and the 2020 Election, Trump should receive the majority of the blame?
                              No, I'd say that after a 40% run-up that a correction can be expected. But a correction is a 10% drop by definition. What you refuse to address is business optimism, particularly for small business.

None of us here are stupid enough to believe the President has anything to do with the Dow or the S&P. He does have something to do with market sentiment and his messaging has demonstrated that. The threat of war or political instability does too. However, fundamentals have much more of a long-term impact on the markets than market sentiment does.
                              Why then did the Dow drop 800 points the night of the election, and then rebound fully by morning? How do you suppose that happened, Jeff? Your statement is provably false to anyone who is paying attention. Regulatory reform and tax cuts, or the prospect of regulatory reform and tax cuts have an enormous effect on the markets.

Well, maybe if those Democrats you voted for would have helped Trump repeal Obamacare, your wife might have been able to keep her business. Jon, I remember when you claimed that you and your wife did not consider tax cuts to be in the top 10 of issues you cared for. No small business owner would ever say that. I didn't call you out on it because I had just handed you your ass on Charter schools and how you hated them but sent your kids to them.

Same deal here. you think it is all Trump's fault that your wife has to sell her business after 16 years of liberal rule. Trump cut taxes on small business substantially. I feel it already in my businesses, but they are real estate development, timbering, and oil leasing. I don't know what your wife does, but if it is selling Melaluca door-to-door, then I can see why she wants to get out.

Clearly you are wrong. The tax cut means little to small business.
                              Highest optimism in small business in 45 years. Tax cuts mean a lot. I agree small business didn't get the same cut as the big guys, but the increased economic activity is beneficial, as is what turns out to be a 10% tax cut.

Comment

• That's an excellent ignoring-costs/benefits analysis.

Comment

Working...
                                X