No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're imparting flavor while cooking (eg apples and pears with pork), use Fuji instead of Granny Smith. A rich mellow flavor without the sharpness.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Heh. I have been served.

And now I want bbq.
      Last edited by AlabamAlum; January 22, 2018, 09:15 AM.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• If you're imparting flavor while cooking (eg apples and pears with pork), use Fuji instead of Granny Smith. A rich mellow flavor without the sharpness.
        Well, true, mostly. First, with a slaw you're not cooking. Second, the texture of a Granny Smith is pretty unbeatable in a slaw. Third, the tartness of the GS goes really well with vinegar-dressed slaw. Fourth, for baking applications GS can be a good choice if you need the apple to old up. I like them for apple crisps, e.g., because they hold texture.

For pork and other actually cooking quasi sauces I would opt for different varieties with Fujis being right up there.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The Monkees were every bit as talented as The Beatles...discuss...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Was Wiz in Tennessee last holiday?

In Lawrence County, Tennessee, law enforcement officials are confronting the fallout from a new drug known as "Wasp" (crystallized wasp repellant mixed with methamphetamine). To wit: On Dec. 18, as the Johnson family baked Christmas cookies in their Lawrenceburg kitchen, Danny Hollis, 35, walked into their home and asked for help. NewsChannel 5 in Nashville reported Hollis poured himself a glass of water from the sink before grabbing a knife and cutting across his throat. Teenage son Canaan Johnson said Hollis then ran up to the second floor, heaved an oak dresser down the stairs, and jumped out a window onto a gazebo below, seriously injuring his neck. The Johnsons, meanwhile, had retreated to their car, where they called 911. Hollis chased the car down the street, but got hung up on a barbed wire fence, then stripped naked to free himself and climbed a nearby tree, where officers found him, according to police reports. Hollis fought them off by allegedly throwing his own feces at them, as they tased him out of the tree. Hollis was booked into the county jail on numerous charges. [NewsChannel 5, 1/4/2018]
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• We will be hearing similar reports out of Minnesota throughout the day.

Comment

• supertramp used the sax a lot --concur springsteen sucks but not all bansds featuring sax sucks

oprah winfrey if she runs for president will need to disclose her true weight to the American public so we can all monitor the situation

one reason I voted Obama in 2012--he had the balls to pull the trigger and wipeout binladen --I thought he'd be the last president that would ok a mission like that but he pulled the trigger. cant think of anything else that I agree with that he did

I am sick and friggin tired of 4th quarter patriot comebacks makes me want to puke wasn't much of a penalty in the second quarter that got new England their first td he threw that ball up for grabs. NE 1 penalty for 10 yeards--Jacksonville almost a hundred yards of pentlites

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                  supertramp used the sax a lot --concur springsteen sucks but not all bansds featuring sax sucks

oprah winfrey if she runs for president will need to disclose her true weight to the American public so we can all monitor the situation

one reason I voted Obama in 2012--he had the balls to pull the trigger and wipeout binladen --I thought he'd be the last president that would ok a mission like that but he pulled the trigger. cant think of anything else that I agree with that he did

I am sick and friggin tired of 4th quarter patriot comebacks makes me want to puke wasn't much of a penalty in the second quarter that got new England their first td he threw that ball up for grabs. NE 1 penalty for 10 yeards--Jacksonville almost a hundred yards of pentlites
                  I nominate crash to do the daily 10am roundup. Would save me a bit of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                    supertramp used the sax a lot --concur springsteen sucks but not all bansds featuring sax sucks
                    Correct. DMB is the shit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK-VRy7611I"]Seek Up - Dave Matthews Band - 7/30/01 - [Epic Wailing Version] - SPAC - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Supertramp is the music of The Gays.

:::turns up the Tenacious D:::

Comment

• Posted IMMEDIATELY after the board's mouth breather praises Dave Matthews Band? I wonder if Chief Submod AA is minded to dock you board points for that.

Comment

• So, an NRO piece on renewables in Europe that for some reason ropes in an African country? Hard to understand why THAT was posted HERE!

Anyhow, that article does not mention that saplings absorb more carbon than matured trees, so if there's a cycle in which every felled tree is replaced, or in which carbon is captured as trees are burned, that would be relevant in an unspun analysis. I don't know how Europe does power. I do developing countries.

In Cote d'Ivoire the power mix is 70%/30% gas/hydro, and reduced reliance on hydro is a priority there and elsewhere in Africa because rainfall is no longer reliable. Adding solar to the mix won't mean everyone's lights go off at sundown, the author knows but does not mention, because power sectors don't use all their capacity all the time. There's a reserve margin needed, and gas plants can be turned on and off easily. If the author doesn't know he's using a false notion to justify his point, then that says a whole lot about NRO.

The author also surely knows but does not mention that renewables aren't an all-or-nothing prospect. Doubling renewables' share of the global energy mix from 18% to 36% by 2030 would hit the Paris targets. You could spend your time sneering at bad policy ideas to get there, but I think it's more constructive and relevant to look at the market signals. It's clear where investors and companies are putting their money, and hopefully it's not too little/too late.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            Posted IMMEDIATELY after the board's mouth breather praises Dave Matthews Band? I wonder if Chief Submod AA is minded to dock you board points for that.
                            AA listens to Night Ranger.

Comment

• IMO both Billy Joel and to a lesser extent Springsteen fall into the guilty-pleasures category. There are 5 legit Billy Joel songs that aren't guilty pleasures, and for all its scene setting, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant isn't one of them. It's a more mature Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

Lots of Springsteen feels the same, with some very significant exceptions, most of them from the pre- or early-Landau years. The Hammersmith '75 show is spectacular, and I've had some other early 70s bootlegs from when they were still a weirdo bar band that are quite special. I hope I haven't lost them, but suspect I have. Also, Nebraska and the Seeger Sessions, which is horrifying to folk purists for good reason but is also just damn good music.

But IMO you have to have some guilty pleasure in the mix. I know Bruce is a snake-oil salesman, especially on stage. There have been nights where I was willing to buy it knowingly nonetheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                                AA listens to Night Ranger.
                                Likes to get all reflective when Sister Christian wraps up. Alabama recruits know what it means when someone asks ``What's your price for flight?" It's all motorin' from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X