No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strictly commenting on the art itself, and not the politicians, but I think Jean Chretien's official portrait is a nice update on the traditional form without going so far as to tweak sensibilities or attract too much attention to the artist's choices. Also, in the end, gotta capture the spirit of that person, which this portrait does with that arched eyebrow and oppositional stance:

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
      Strictly commenting on the art itself, and not the politicians, but I think Jean Chretien's official portrait is a nice update on the traditional form without going so far as to tweak sensibilities or attract too much attention to the artist's choices. Also, in the end, gotta capture the spirit of that person, which this portrait does with that arched eyebrow and oppositional stance:
      did the artist paint any jizz on him?

Comment

• Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/963155714825969664[/ame]

[ame]https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/963132007931723776[/ame]

So apparently that is the outragel of the week? Sessions Anglo-American comment? Are these people fucking stupid or just hate the administration that much?
          Last edited by Kapture1; February 14, 2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            "Censorship" of literature: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...e-racial-slurs

First, there's no way I'm not stealing "Ruprecht the Monkey Boy" and using it lieu of snowflake. Too perfect.

Second, I find it interestingly amusing that To Kill A Mockingbird was banned in 1966 by folks dedicated to Jim Crow bullshit and a mere 50 years later by folks dedicated to social justice. All it took was a little time and pressure. Geology.

Third, it certainly draws a ginormous red circle around the censors of this day and age. And they ain't curmudgeonly christians in Podunk, Texas banning dance and classic works. It'll interesting to follow this arc...I can't imagine any sane person thinking it'll stop at books by "dead white folks" that use the n-word.
            Ha, I think that cross reference has already been made.

Seems most large, formidable political/social bodies inevitably fumble (or not) into advocating some form of censorship... Regardless of how conflicting it is w/ supposed foundation of their existence in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

So apparently that is the outragel of the week? Sessions Anglo-American comment? Are these people fucking stupid or just hate the administration that much?
              Sessions has long been a target of confusing/continued existence in the WH.

Much like, Carter Page... Why did Trump promote him to NatSec team, again?

Maybe nothing malicious is going on, but Sessions still in the running for Clown #1.

Comment

• Originally posted by millenwasmyfavorite View Post
                Sessions has long been a target of confusing/continued existence in the WH.

Much like, Carter Page... Why did Trump promote him to NatSec team, again?

Maybe nothing malicious is going on, but Sessions still in the running for Clown #1.
                he didn't

and Anglo-American is proper common law lexicon. Here are examples of 0bama using the same phrase

Senator Obama in 2006, arguing in favor of habeas corpus on the Senate floor:

The world is watching what we do today in America. They will know what we do here today, and they will treat all of us accordingly in the future—our soldiers, our diplomats, our journalists, anybody who travels beyond these borders. I hope we remember this as we go forward. I sincerely hope we can protect what has been called the “great writ”—a writ that has been in place in the Anglo-American legal system for over 700 years.

And here’s Obama during the 2008 campaign, making broadly the same point:

But Obama, who taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago for more than a decade, said captured suspects deserve to file writs of habeus corpus. Calling it “the foundation of Anglo-American law,” he said the principle “says very simply: If the government grabs you, then you have the right to at least ask, ‘Why was I grabbed?’ And say, ‘Maybe you’ve got the wrong person.’” The safeguard is essential, Obama continued, “because we don’t always have the right person.”

And here’s Obama as president, at it again:

Obama would not say whether it could be achieved within the first 100 days of his term, citing the challenge of creating a balanced process “that adheres to rule of law, habeas corpus, basic principles of Anglo-American legal system, but doing it in a way that doesn’t result in releasing people who are intent on blowing us up.

Comment

• Lol are you saying carter Page wasn't part of natsec team?

The point was Sessions has accumulated criticisms -- the Anglo Saxon thing is fluff. Who cares.

You are linking tweets from Alyssa Milano, dude

Comment

• Can't wait for epic military parade. Hope it is the biggest in history of world.

A simultaneous show of force and rolling salute.

Comment

• Can't wait for epic military parade. Hope it is the biggest in history of world.

A simultaneous show of force and rolling salute.

Comment

• The "furor" over "Anglo-American" is one of the most spectactularly fucking moronic things I've seen in awhile. And that includes PDJT's twitter feed.

The Hawaii Senator who tweeted on it is officially a grade A asshat.

PDJT and Company will do plenty that will provide legitimate opportunity for the merchants of outrage. This, however, is just plain silly. Like choosing North Korea over Pence.

Comments from NOT Alyssa Milano:

Last edited by iam416; February 14, 2018, 02:40 PM.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yea, that was linked above as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by millenwasmyfavorite View Post
                            Yea, that was linked above as well.
                            it's worth a repost.

as is this

Comment

• I guess

Comment

• Comment