Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Well, do you think a license and registration fee, in the localities that have such things, is unconstitutional? I don't. Just so my own position is clearly staked out.
    I wouldn't live in a state that required a license, but i wouldn't necessarily say it's unconstitutional. In Heller they talked about firearms in common use at the time, i dont think the constitutionality test of Title II has been applied to firearms in common use, doubt it would fly as it would create a severe barrier to exercize a right.

Right now the wait times for a tax stamp for a SBR or silencer is several months, and those are VERY rare. Only the extreme enthusiasts are getting stamps. If every semi automatic required a stamp that would push waiting times out over a year at least. At least.
    Last edited by Kapture1; February 21, 2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Since you bring it up, I'll say too that I can't see legitimate uses for silencers other than maybe it's fun to shoot em at the range once in a while? I'd think that loud guns, not quiet ones, are what you want in a home invasion to frighten off burglars if it comes to that.

But since homemade ones are too easy to make it's probably sorta pointless to ban em completely.

Comment

Since you bring it up, I'll say too that I can't see legitimate uses for silencers other than maybe it's fun to shoot em at the range once in a while? I'd think that loud guns, not quiet ones, are what you want in a home invasion to frighten off burglars if it comes to that.

But since homemade ones are too easy to make it's probably sorta pointless to ban em completely.
        If you are hunting in Europe, one of the tightest areas of gun laws in the world, it's considered rude to hunt without a silencer.

For the record, it's not like the movies, a .223 with a silencer sound like a .22, still loud a shit.

Comment

• Also, since i looked it up, here is the average current title II wait times in days

Last edited by Kapture1; February 21, 2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• On a different (but sorta related) subject, what's the impact of social media on mass shootings? In the 80's when I was growing up, especially once cable tv became common, there were lots of studies aimed at showing hours and hours of tv every day was unhealthy. I've long touted the internet but I'm increasingly coming around to the belief that social media is as unhealthy, maybe more so, than watching 10 hours of tv a day.

I'm not yet 40 but I'm old enough to have spent my most of my formative years without internet and all of them without a cell phone. Are people raised on instant gratification technologies going to have very altered psyches or what? It seems like we're starting to see the beginning of a wave of new psychological studies on the impact of being tethered to a phone all day or spending hours viewing Instagram.

As a kid if I were bullied, at least I had a break when I went home. Nowadays it's potentially a 24/7 thing. Lot of older folks say "well, they're just soft". But shoot, not me nor my parents grew up in an era when anyone could contact me anywhere on earth at any time of day...or had enough access to publish anything they want about me and potentially reach millions of people.

There was a school shooting in Jackson Township, Stark County just yesterday. Wealthy community. A 13 year old shot himself and died. At first the story was suicide but the official story has changed slightly to make it sound more like an accident? Additional ammo was found in his backpack and they released his name (which I thought they wouldn't do in a suicide case).

Comment

• Absolutely technology is creating issues.

I would also add media should stop reporting the name of the mass killers. I say should but it wont ever happen.

Comment

• DSL,

There was a study done that (essentially) suggested that crazies seek the 24/7 attention that they see other crazies get with mass shootings. A kind of copy-cat-ism. Towers, the prof at Arizona State, described it as a kind of "contagion".
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  DSL,

There was a study done that (essentially) suggested that crazies seek the 24/7 attention that they see other crazies get with mass shootings. A kind of copy-cat-ism. Towers, the prof at Arizona State, described it as a kind of "contagion".
                  We also live in an age when crazies can easily find people just like themselves. Supposedly Flat Earth Societies have been surging in membership. No matter what beliefs you have, it's easier than ever to get your own views validated by finding a fellow traveler. "Hey, if this guy thinks the same thing, we must be onto something!!"

Comment

• Nothing to do with Trump, but Mueller is reportedly asking witnesses if Manafort secured home loans by promising jobs in the White House in exchange

Mueller's investigators are asking whether ex-Trump campaign chair Paul Manafort promised Steve Calk a White House job in return for $16 million in home loans.

New sealed additional charges agaisnt Manafort/Gates were also filed today.

Comment

• CNN reaches a new low

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                        CNN reaches a new low

That interview was garbage. Despise door-stepping, ambush interviews.

If they want to prove they're 'tough" no-holds-barred reporters, go do that outside a Trump official's house. Not someone's grandma in Florida.

Comment

That interview was garbage. Despise door-stepping, ambush interviews.

If they want to prove they're 'tough" no-holds-barred reporters, go do that outside a Trump official's house. Not someone's grandma in Florida.
                          or go ask Michael Moore why he participated in a Russian sponsored anti-Trump protest at Trump tower

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                            or go ask Michael Moore why he participated in a Russian sponsored anti-Trump protest at Trump tower
                            I'd actually support that too more than targeting some Trump-loving granny. I don't like that style of interview either way, but target powerful people if you do it at all.

There's no news value to it when you go after "random citizen" and the only purpose is to try and humiliate the victim.

Comment

• Right?! that but the poor woman doesn't want the attention. With Moore he's already a public figure that has made a career out of stating his opinion. He's a pro, this poor woman is a civilian.

Talk about punching down.

Comment

• Good Lord. Ivanka Trump and Baghdad Sarah are leading the US delegation at the closing ceremonies. Perfect examples of the Olympic ideal.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X