Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Well, if the argument is that the easy availability of guns illegally makes gun laws sort of doomed to fail, then I'm sympathetic. If the point is simply that getting an abortion illegally is harder than getting a gun, then ok, but I didn't say it'd have the same effect.

I'd still try regulating the crap out of it in blue states.
    Not to say it shouldn't be tried, and you make a point about blue states' ability to do it, but I guess you can't expect as much effectiveness as the abortion one. Harper's did a great piece last year on how effective South Dakota has been, down to hassling abortion clinics by defining them as hospitals, IIRC, and then being able to ding them on all the requirements that come with having a facility designated as such, such as the width of the hallways, etc. Effectively, when you factor in that plus social factors, women either have the baby or drive to Montana, which incurs costs. Hard to imagine finding so many ways with guns.

I think, in the end, Making America Safe Again may require some cold, dead hands. Some very ugly invasions of homes and buildings if the country is to attempt the very long transition into a more common approach to gun laws and availability. Which, IMO, is better than the alternative.

Comment

• Here is one alternative...STFU...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• but I guess you can't expect as much effectiveness as the abortion one
        Yeah, I don't.

But, I do think most lawful gun owners would follow the rules. It's what they do. And who knows if Nikolas Cruz would have been able to evade the rules and buy a black market gun.

In any event, I offered up a response to Buchanan as to what I think is politically doable. The best political move for the Ds is probably to refrain from any gun control measures federally as "insufficient"; push rigorous gun laws in blue states; try to pass an "assault weapons ban" in 2020 that won't make it.

There simply isn't any course that gets the US to a the "common approach" to gun laws.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          I don't think you have to go "full prison" but a metal detector and one way in and one way out is being done now at many schools.
          Not being snarky but then with one way in and out what do you do in case of other emergencies like fire?
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I would have said that Reasonable dialog was possible until I actually sat and watched that town hall that CNN had. What a fucking disgusting display. when one side is saying "if you don't agree with me about policy, then you don't give a shit about murdered kids" you will never get reasonable dialog. All you will get is people digging their feet in the ground.
            Exactly right, except the part about where you only just gave up hope on reasonable debate. There hasn't been that chance for a long time.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              There simply isn't any course that gets the US to a the "common approach" to gun laws.
              The proportion of voters minded to look at other country and copy/paste is rising. There's no path to that now. When? I dunno. But the overcorrection will come.

Comment

• Kasich mulls 2020 run, including possible Trump primary challenge: report

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) is weighing his options for a possible 2020 presidential run, including a possible primary challenge to President Trump, according to a new report.

Nine Republicans familiar with Kasich’s political operation told Politico the governor is weighing his options from a primary challenge to an independent presidential campaign.

Kasich has committed to attending events across the country in the next few months, including a trip to New Hampshire, where the first presidential primaries are held.

The Ohio Republican and his advisers have reportedly discussed whether he should directly challenge Trump or wait for an “opening” in the race.

“He’s actually been pretty straightforward about it: he would like to run again if he sees an opening,” Charlie Black, who advised Kasich’s 2016 presidential campaign, told Politico. “And if Trump runs again, there’s no opening. But if Trump doesn’t run, there is one.”

Kasich's top political adviser, John Weaver, attempted to tamp down the report, telling Politico “there’s been no decision to run, but no decision not to run.”

According to the news outlet, Kasich is targeting a younger audience with his message of civility and bipartisanship as he travels the country for various events, including an upcoming appearance with members of the Bush family in Houston.

The Ohio governor has been a frequent critic of Trump since losing to him in the 2016 Republican primary.

Last month, Kasich said he had not ruled out a potential 2020 presidential run.

"I honestly don't know what my future is," Kasich said on CNN.

"As to whether I would do something like that again? If I felt my country called me and it was practical, I'd have to very seriously think about it," he continued.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                  http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...020-bid-report

Kasich mulls 2020 run, including possible Trump primary challenge: report

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) is weighing his options for a possible 2020 presidential run, including a possible primary challenge to President Trump, according to a new report.

Nine Republicans familiar with Kasich?s political operation told Politico the governor is weighing his options from a primary challenge to an independent presidential campaign.

Kasich has committed to attending events across the country in the next few months, including a trip to New Hampshire, where the first presidential primaries are held.

The Ohio Republican and his advisers have reportedly discussed whether he should directly challenge Trump or wait for an ?opening? in the race.

?He?s actually been pretty straightforward about it: he would like to run again if he sees an opening,? Charlie Black, who advised Kasich?s 2016 presidential campaign, told Politico. ?And if Trump runs again, there?s no opening. But if Trump doesn?t run, there is one.?

Kasich's top political adviser, John Weaver, attempted to tamp down the report, telling Politico ?there?s been no decision to run, but no decision not to run.?

According to the news outlet, Kasich is targeting a younger audience with his message of civility and bipartisanship as he travels the country for various events, including an upcoming appearance with members of the Bush family in Houston.

The Ohio governor has been a frequent critic of Trump since losing to him in the 2016 Republican primary.

Last month, Kasich said he had not ruled out a potential 2020 presidential run.

"I honestly don't know what my future is," Kasich said on CNN.

"As to whether I would do something like that again? If I felt my country called me and it was practical, I'd have to very seriously think about it," he continued.
                  So? He wouldn't even win Ohio, massive waste of money.

Comment

• So?

It's news.

Jesus.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Kasich is a retread. Move on.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Doesn't seem very newsworthy.

Fuck it, i hope he does run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                          Not being snarky but then with one way in and out what do you do in case of other emergencies like fire?

I do not know. Perhaps the alarm unlocks the doors? My son is grown and married. Wasn't something I had to deal with.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                            there's the shitty snark.

first of, all of the teachers I know are far braver than that chickenshit.

Second, they are already standing unarmed between the psycho and their children huddled in a corner. It doesn't get any braver than that.
                            Lolololo.

Comment

• Those that can't do teach (and shoot mass murders before they kill). Those that can't teach teach gym (and shoot mass murders before they kill).

Comment

• Trudeau on his way to Japan

Comment

Working...
                                X