No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• their point is China flooding the market with their cheap and inexpensive steel
    Not that you disagree, but the obvious point to that is GREAT! We have gads of downstream companies that use aluminum and steel and, oh by the way, employs gads of folks. PDJT's tariff is specifically favoring one set of Americans over another.

Meanwhile, a Singapore company is attempting to takeover Qualcomm. Qualcomm is in a race with a huge Chinese company to develop, build and complete the 5G network, which will be instrumental in the emerging IoT "revolution." Beating the Chinese or at least achieving parity (according to some, Q is apparently ahead) is pretty important to US interests. So, it's probably somewhat important that we keep Q running along as is until 5G is done. Or, at least that's what crackpots at the NRO would say.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• he just wont go away will he

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Not that you disagree, but the obvious point to that is GREAT! We have gads of downstream companies that use aluminum and steel and, oh by the way, employs gads of folks. PDJT's tariff is specifically favoring one set of Americans over another.

Meanwhile, a Singapore company is attempting to takeover Qualcomm. Qualcomm is in a race with a huge Chinese company to develop, build and complete the 5G network, which will be instrumental in the emerging IoT "revolution." Beating the Chinese or at least achieving parity (according to some, Q is apparently ahead) is pretty important to US interests. So, it's probably somewhat important that we keep Q running along as is until 5G is done. Or, at least that's what crackpots at the NRO would say.
        No doubt, a lot of people can buy Chinese steel, use it in their product, then present it to the global market at a competitive price. I do fully understand the benefit, but living in Flint nearly my entire life I also understand the costs of free trade.

Comment

• not only that but the majority of job loss in the steel industry isn't from our trade imbalance, it's from technology.

Comment

• You drinking Flint water explains a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
              You drinking Flint water explains a lot!
              I was out by the time they switched to the Flint River for their water source.

I mean even without the lead, yuck.

Comment

• At first glance, DJT's steel and aluminum tariffs are a terrible idea for any number of reasons you can read about elsewhere. There may be a long term strategic nature to the tariff announcement yesterday that may mitigate the clearly short term negatives.

Trump promised action on trade barriers to US products during his campaign so, on a superficial level, he's making good on his trade promises. So, this shit plays very well with the Trumpsters nationally.

I don't think that priming his base is the target though. I spent a few moments this morning trying to understand tariffs and their economic and strategic implications. This is not easy stuff to understand. What Trump's announcement yesterday was probably all about was a shot across the bow of China and India. Little steel is imported from India. Most US imports come from China and the intermediate term impact of metals tariffs is thus:

A tariff-induced price rise creates a gap between prices in the importing and exporting countries. This in turn causes supplies (production) to rise in the importing country, while demand (consumption) falls, which is the essence of the "industrial protection" function of tariffs.

...... a tariff ..... generates revenues for the government of the importing country (revenue function). Tariffs therefore benefit the government and producers of the importing country in the form of tax revenues and producer surpluses at the expense of its consumers in the form of higher prices.

Because tariffs bring different benefits and costs to different groups, the net cost to the importing country is the "cost to consumers minus profits to producers minus government revenues." This is equal to the sum of the "efficiency loss" caused by distortions to the pricing system and the "profits from improved terms of trade" brought by a reduction in international prices.

It would appear, in the case of metals tariffs, that the Trump administration is trading the higher cost of goods to consumers in the US, for an efficiency loss penalty on China. In India's case, if Trump were to impose similar tariff's to those he imposed on metals on Electronics, the efficiency cost to India would be huge. China would be equally penalized if the tariff was global and not country specific.

So, my take is that this move is very strategic and demonstrates that Trump is listening to specific inputs from specific advisers (Navarro and Ross) while ignoring the rest (Cohn). By my read he's taking the advice of a minority of advisers in this particular situation. Most have opposed tariff's due to the negative implications associated with them and as the apply to world trade and the viability of the World Trade Organization - an organization that Trump has previously stated results in negotiations unfair to the US.

My view is that the nuts and bolts of the entire process of developing trade policy is insufficiently described in the mainstream press (shocking, I know). My insight is just beginning to emerge. I can superficially see both the costs and the benefits associated with yesterday's announcement. I''ll keep looking at it.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Please don't post again until you have finished "looking at it."

Thanks in advance.

Yer pal,
                  THE Talent

Comment

• This may take a while ......

STFU and learn some patience. BTW, I've been working on that myself on the advice of my stepson who is in on metaphysics. We've been discussing consciousness, where it resides and the possibility of the existence of multiple dimensions. Fascinating stuff. I may post about it ....... extensively. Maybe we can also discuss the Netflix series OA. That should make most people here vomit.

Meanwhile I'm learning not to fuck-holler in the terrible Fort Lauderdale traffic and to practice patience by picking the longest line in the grocery store. This is all part of meaningful living which, if properly practiced, may result in me abandoning my passion for M football. That's a good sign I won't be living meaningfully.
                    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Holy hell. I can't imagine a lengthy Buchanan post on metaphysics!

I yell way, way, way less at the TV when OSU is playing these days. I even miss games on occasion. That could be a product of UFM and terrible OoC/Rutgers games. But, it's not.

Too much great shit in this world to let CFB ruin anything more than 3 hours of your day.

Comment

• I thought The OA was brilliant storytelling. I didn’t get much into the metaphysics of it all though.
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Looks like Wiz and his significant other had a spat that was recorded on video.

An Oklahoma woman captured video of a man unwisely approaching a buffalo in a wildlife refuge and getting charged by the animal when he came too close.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• STFU and learn some patience. BTW, I've been working on that myself on the advice of my stepson who is in on metaphysics. We've been discussing consciousness, where it resides and the possibility of the existence of multiple dimensions. Fascinating stuff. I may post about it ....... extensively. Maybe we can also discuss the Netflix series OA. That should make most people here vomit.

Meanwhile I'm learning not to fuck-holler in the terrible Fort Lauderdale traffic and to practice patience by picking the longest line in the grocery store.

well done

I don't have the patience to get though most of your posts but that one had some merit

Netflix five came home is worth checking out btw

Comment

• Last edited by Kapture1; March 2, 2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Leftist Activists barrage Delta and every other company offering NRA members discounts?

Delta says "FUCK THE NRA" and Georgia Says Ok, Fuck your $50M from GA?

Then Delta checks and "Only 13 NRA members have ever used the discount" so that means that the NRA discounts cost them a little over $3.85 Million Each?

Virtue Signaling for the WIN!!!!
                                Last edited by Kapture1; March 2, 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X