No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re the Dow: Never mind ...... the Dow just opened and is up 98 points as of 10am.

What's interesting is that most reasonable economists and financial guys have said since January that the Dow should be trading between 25000 and 26000 and was overvalued prior to the current sessions where it has been trading fairly consistently within that range, although markets have been highly volatile.

I think its correct to wait and see how the tariff's are implemented. Brangham, in the PBS interview, mentioned this too. He mentioned that the current administration's pressure on China likely produced actions re NK on China's part that precipitated talk from Un about denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula/meeting with Trump.

He saw the tariff approach in a similar light. There is overwhelming evidence that China has more or less fucked the US with monetary and trade policy with previous administrations (Bush and Obama) taking it up the ass so as not to ruffle China's feathers.

Last week, following the announcement that Xi would face no term limits, Xi spoke of establishing a new framework for trade with other nations. That positive statement could be either helped or hindered by the tariffs. Regardless, some observers think that putting pressure on China, as the Trump administration is clearly doing, could produce positive or negative outcomes that can't be predicted today.

Economic advisers that have DJT's attention right now are aggressive trade policy advocates. The last time a sitting president harbored protectionist and mercantilist
    views with respect to global trade the country's Commander and Chief was Herbert Hoover, who led the US into the Great Depression.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Republican State Sen. John Ruckelshaus of Indianapolis is the proud sponsor of a new measure in Indiana that bans eyeball tattooing. According to the proposed law, passed by both the Senate and the House, tattooists would be prohibited from coloring the whites of a customer's eyes, with a fine of up to $10,000 per violation. The Associated Press reported that Sen. Ruckelshaus admitted he's not aware of any problems with eyeball-tattooing in Indiana. The legislation was on Gov. Eric Holcomb's desk for his signature on March 1. [The Associated Press, 3/1/2018]
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I wish we were in high school AA. I would take you behind the gym and beat the hell out of you for the way you treat women. and handicapped refs

Comment

• Crash,

My hands are huge. You would get killed! Sad!
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You know what they say...big hands...big gloves...it saved OJ...and now it's saving AA...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• You're back Wiz - now STFU.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Well, the stock market managed the largest drop in the history of causative presidential announcements (China Tarrifs)...... and poised for another 200 point drop at the open today.
                Well, I remember a day in the fall of 1987 where the Dow dropped 22%. Now I have no clue what a "causative presidential announcement" is, but the passage of a $ 1.3 Trillion spending package without any effort at restraining spending could as well have been the cause of the drop, as could the announcement of a hike in the fed funds rate. Maybe the three taken together explain the bad day.

Comment

• Any guy that talks like AA is the fattest ugliest guy in the room

Comment

• This is a concise rendering of why restrictive trade policies and tariff's in general are a bad idea...... right now. Maybe in the past, but not now. The article puts the current risk of a trade war precipitated by the Trump administration in the larger context of two decades of globalization and it's benefits versus costs .......

The split in the articles I'm reading goes 90/10 against US trade policies that are emanating from the White House.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "China started the trade war" .......

An interesting take:

In this article, the degree to which China has fucked the US and other EU countries by plundering advanced technologies and then dominating niche industries like wind power isn't minuscule. On reading this article, it's quite clear how the Chinese have advanced their economy on the backs of Western technology and Intellectual Property development.

I'm not convinced the approach taken by the Trump administration to address this unfairness is the right approach. Trade economists are almost uniform in their positions stating as far as the steps taken by the administration to date, we just don't know yet. I am convinced that doing something beyond taking China to the WTO is appropriate. The downside is that the cost of punishing China may be high in terms of strangling a global economy that was on the rise.

Comment

• Just a reminder. Spring is coming

[ame]https://youtu.be/PfavfIKjSOI[/ame]
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• World's greatest businessman negotiates massive spending bill which provides a bare fraction of The Fence funding, then publicly whines about how everyone tricked him.

#MAGA #4DCHESS

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            World's greatest businessman negotiates massive spending bill which provides a bare fraction of The Fence funding, then publicly whines about how everyone tricked him.

#MAGA #4DCHESS
                            He should have veto'd the fucking thing.

Comment

• He had to get to MAL --

Washington has discovered his ultimate naked weakness

Comment

• I caught parts of Fox's primetime MAGA lineup last night while driving. The message was pretty consistent: you, dear Fox viewers, have no reason to support any congressional Republican for reelection (except maybe the couple dozen Freedom Caucus guys). This Fall will be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X