No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that accepting a Presidential pardon is legally the equivalent of a guilty plea? I seem to recall talk of that when Sheriff Joe got pardoned.

Comment

• HE IS RISEN!!!

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/980443810529533952[/ame]

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/980451155548491777[/ame]

Comment

• "Is it true that accepting a Presidential pardon is legally the equivalent of a guilty plea?"

No its an exoneration of conduct that is illegal, but it doesn't require any admission of guilt from the recipient. It does, however, prevent the person from claiming fifth amendment protection.

Comment

• Thanks, Stan
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
            "Is it true that accepting a Presidential pardon is legally the equivalent of a guilty plea?"

No its an exoneration of conduct that is illegal, but it doesn't require any admission of guilt from the recipient. It does, however, prevent the person from claiming fifth amendment protection.
            So a possibility like this could come into play? Say Trump pardons someone could that person then lie his/her ass off and fall on the sword. A blanket pardon would allow for that right?
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
              Best Mel Brooks film of all time and not that close.
              Which? IMO there's an argument for Spaceballs.

Comment

• "So a possibility like this could come into play? Say Trump pardons someone could that person then lie his/her ass off and fall on the sword. A blanket pardon would allow for that right?"

If such lying occurs after a blanket pardon that would be a new crime or offense. Pardons are given for past digressions, not future ones. Such a person would need another pardon.

Comment

• Hooray for Stan!
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                    "So a possibility like this could come into play? Say Trump pardons someone could that person then lie his/her ass off and fall on the sword. A blanket pardon would allow for that right?"

If such lying occurs after a blanket pardon that would be a new crime or offense. Pardons are given for past digressions, not future ones. Such a person would need another pardon.
                    So a person would have to lie their ass off BEFORE the pardon and a blanket pardon would get them off? And if this happened what would be the recourse for Mueller's team then?
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• The executive's power to pardon is nearly limitless. There's nothing that MUELLER could do. The checks and balances answer is that a President that grossly abuses the pardon power is not re-elected and/or impeached. In this particular hypothetical, the political day of reckoning is nigh. Whether the D Congress would have enough political support to then impeach, if necessary, sort of depends on how egregious the pardons were.

Comment

• young Frankenstein by far was brooks best movie

history of world was unwatchable yesterday for some reason I tried to watch it and kept thinking how good monty pyton was compared to that drool.

Comment

• Young Frankenstein
                          History of the World
                          Blazing Saddles
                          Space Balls.

In that order.
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• You're take on education from day 1 entrenched you to be straight flat lined, braindead, so you're best off STFU.
                            Heh. Still smarting from the pummeling I gave you a couple years ago when we were debating charter schools, eh? Get over it.

Comment

• All of Mel Brooks stuff has aged very poorly. While I agree YF is his best work, compare it to a Coen Bros comedy like Lebowski or Raising Arizona, or a Wes Anderson piece. Hell, National Lampoon -for example, Animal House or one of the earlier Vacation movies- laps it on the comedy meter. To me, Brooks stuff is Benny Hill with more dialogue and better sets.

In my opinion, any way. As always, your mileage may vary.
                              Last edited by AlabamAlum; April 2, 2018, 10:48 AM.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• My mileage does not vary on that, and I loved most Mel Brooks stuff as a kid. I haven't re-watched one of his movies in ages and have no plans to.

Comment

Working...
                                X