No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having said that, it's not as if it's a new problem. The Atlantic had Mark Steyn around for years. After a brief run of making good points, he settled into a long career of ``Obama's suit is beige" type of commentary.

Comment

• We disagree on the merits of Williamson. He's very good. The Atlantic market, however, has no interest in much outside their coastal elite echo chamber. I thought it an odd hire in the first instance because I'm quite sure The Atlantic readership isn't ready to be challenged. Whatever Williamson's opinion on abortion is, it's undeniable that Atlantic heroine, Jessica Valenti, has argued in an actual OpEd piece (as opposed to off-handed twitter comments) for no restrictions on abortion. Anyone who has ever spent any time in a NICU ought to be genuinely appalled. The Atlantic is what it is -- and it's consistent with the bulk of putative "intellectual" organizations -- there IS an orthodoxy. Tread lightly if you deviate or you will be held "accountable" by people who will not be held accountable.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Meanwhile, The Atlantic has shown its ass. After a month, they caved to #GentryProgs and fired Kevin Williamson because, well, he's a conservative: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/05/b...-atlantic.html

The #GentryProg Media carries forward in it's wonderful echo chamber of coastal elite opinion. A great day for all those who don't much give rat's ass about hearing from the other side.

LMMFAO. I mean, LMMFAO.
        they start them early...

[ame]https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/981986353872326659[/ame]

Comment

• The Atlantic had Mark Steyn around for years. After a brief run of making good points, he settled into a long career of ``Obama's suit is beige" type of commentary.
          Yeah, and Tahiti Coates has written several good essays but has settled into a series of entirely predictable, well-written articles. Tahiti ain't going no where. The Atlantic is what it is.

Comment

• Frum is another example. When you say there is an orthodoxy, you can mean it in a partisan way or a non-partisan way. The Atlantic has been challenging its readers for years and years -- challening them with ideas, like Michael Kelley and Andrew Sullivan once did, and challenging them to still pick up the damn thing ten years after Mark Steyn stopped thinking and started complaining about Al Gore's ties. I think if you generalize your comments, they are accurate. If you aim them specifically at The Atlantic, they are not. That's a drive-by diagnosis.

I think it's also genuinely harder to find a solid conservative voice right now, which is perhaps another reason why this happened. Even in the best of times, the most coveted real estate in journalism, the NYT op-ed page, is full of very stale voices from both sides. That's the orthodoxy you're talking about. But in the case of conservatives, soon enough there will be a hardy and current voice who can address late capitalism, income inequality, and the increasing complexity of problems at a time when it's more and more clear what can be left to markets and what cannot. It's a tough time to express conservative ideas that are about facts and problems, but it sure is easy to resort to the soft intengibles like values and coded racism. So you get those conservative voices, and you get confused old people like George Will, and you get slick purveyors of whatever in David Brooks, and you get pretentious people that don their bowties and mine history for even more obscure analogous polities and thinkers, as if the only search for answers can be in the past.

I look forward to some real conservative thought from whomever comes up next and is a genuinely honest thinker who understands the need to destroy some of the orthodoxy of that wing of political thought. Conservatism badly needs that type of figure. It's an important ingredient in this polity.

Comment

• That's certainly a stale, predictable view of conservatives from the #GentryProg Orthodoxy.

Comment

• Making assertions is easy. Making an argument is not.

Comment

• I'm glad you appreciate you've taken the easy way out. I can go read the WaPO comments section on the Williamson outing and get the identical #Gentry Prog Orthodoxy on conservatives.

Comment

• I just tried to have a discussion with you on the terms you say you want. Have it your way, dude.

Comment

• My feelings on Williamson and The Atlantic:

My first real job, other than cutting the neighbors' grass ($2 a yard!), was working at a restaurant called "Steak and Live Lobster" in Mandeville, Louisiana. I was 14. The owner was a salty, no-nonsense fireplug of a Cajun and he was going to pay me $4 an hour (nearly double minimum wage!) to help out in the kitchen. He mainly wanted me to shell crawfish on Saturdays. When he hired me, he asked if I had ever shelled them. "Of course, I said." And it was no lie. My dad would stop by and get a bag of them from a little place that sold boiled crawfish by the pound, and occasionally even boil some himself that he had bought at the market. And I shelled them all. I counted myself as a skilled crawfish shucking professional.

My first day was a busy Saturday and he had a number of giant soup tureens of them cooked and waiting for me. He wanted me to take the pots, carry them to his cooler, and shell them for use in gumbos, etouffee, and any number of other dishes.

So, I began working. I shelled crawfish after crawfish (while freezing in the 38 degree cooler) until my hands were orange and raw from the seasoning the crawfish were boiled in. I thought it would take me all day, but I finished in about 4 hours. I cleaned up my mess and proudly went and told him I was done. He was in disbelief at my speed. He bounded to the cooler and found my work. "That's all fine and good, but where are the heads?" he shouted. You see, I learned that day that eating (really sucking the fat out of the cooked crawfish's head) was considered a Cajun delicacy by some. My family didn't do that. Never even talked about it. Just no.

So the rest of the day, anytime one of his regulars came in and asked for a plate of heads, he made me go to their table and explain that I had thrown all the heads away. Seemed like I was subjected to a thousand, "WHAT?! Why'd you do dat?" and "No! Dat's da best part of da crawfish!"

And you can all clearly see my feelings on Williamson and The Atlantic and how it relates to my story. Eerie, huh?
                      Last edited by AlabamAlum; April 6, 2018, 12:09 PM.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I just tried to have a discussion with you on the terms you say you want. Have it your way, dude.
                        No, you didn't. But, I will have it my way.

Comment

• AA:

STFU

Comment

• COMITY!
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The Comity Clause:

The Citizens of each State, except Alabama, shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Comment

• This is a fun game of Fabiano Caruana, the American who will face Magnus Carlsen in London in November, for the World Championship.

Last edited by AlabamAlum; April 6, 2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X