No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon, IMO maintaining fictions is a part of statecraft, and for various strategic and realist purposes. But US policy now amounts to picking a side, so it is now formally no different an actor than Russia or China or any other foreign country aiming to project power in the region. It's a surrender of a useful power-is-perception tool, and comes with no hard benefits. This will make it harder in the future for US foreign policy to maintain a fiction it that it still wants to maintain, which is that Israel is not on a path toward rogue-state status. It will also make it harder eventually to force a solution upon the Palestinians.

Ultimately, if foreign policy in the region amounts to picking this side or that, you're going to be picking allies that engage in terrorism. We've done that for years in backing Saudi anyways. With Israel at least the track record is inconsistent, and you can defend the choice of ally by citing some very admirable wartime conduct. With Saudi there's no possibility of that, so we maintain the fiction.

If the choice is amongst which terrorists to back, well, I can see why the Israel/Saudi/UAE axis appeals based on the current policy process. It means more chances to sell weapons, and Iran's lobby in DC doesn't have as much cash to throw around. If you want to wonder whether policy be for sale or aligned to long-term interests, well, Saudi is going to run out of money and collapse in on itself in the next few decades. Its policy ambitions will shrink from competing with Iran to trying to control the 20m Wahhabis in the country but without the money it used to have to throw at that problem. The Sunni/Shia divide only a temporary way to view the various players here. Iran can be the regional hegemon, and a whole bunch of countries nominally Sunni can deal with that. Hopefully Iran undergoes revolution before that. If Iran self-inflicts, or if a revolution is protected, the UAE could emerge as a for-now hegemon. Right now the UAE is in lockstep with Saudi, but Saudi will not be able to afford the price of loyalty for very much longer. It will be the real power in the UAE-Saudi relationship for years before we all know it for sure -- another fiction that will be maintained.

IMO the US has to have an engaged relationship with all of these countries, and stick to policy based on long-term interests rather than policymaker paydays.

Comment

• Israel doesn't engage in terrorism.

Comment

• Don Jr uses the Ronald Reagan Defense - when backed into a corner and faced with lying or telling incriminating truth, the answer is...."I don't recall."

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
          Don Jr uses the Ronald Reagan Defense - when backed into a corner and faced with lying or telling incriminating truth, the answer is...."I don't recall."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ipts/34975529/
          The same phrase Hillary said during her FBI sitdown over three dozen times. Next!

Comment

• But Hillllllllary...

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hamas confirms that 50 of those killed were members of their terrorist group.

so much for indiscriminately shooting into crowds of peaceful protesters the liberal, western media claimed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                The same phrase Hillary said during her FBI sitdown over three dozen times. Next!
                We're speaking about Don Trump Jr, not Hillary. Try to keep up.
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                  We're speaking about Don Trump Jr, not Hillary. Try to keep up.
                  your selective outrage is telling

and before you start posting dick pics like your buddy CG, know that I have no issues with Hillary claiming she doesn't remember. that is what any good lawyer will tell you to do when you don't actually remember exacts. It's exactly what I don't trust DJT to do if interviewed by Mueller, and he would absolutely be nailed to the wall on some contradiction, which is why I don't want him to sit down for an interview.

I don't recall are golden words.
                  Last edited by Kapture1; May 16, 2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• But Hillllllarrrrrreeeeeeee

Looks as if somebody is triggered...

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Comment

• *yawn*

Comment

• speaking of low T

Comment

• Senate Intel Committee concludes that Russia interfered in order to get Trump to win. Senate Republicans almost unanimously agree that the Intelligence Community's assessment was correct. Totally contradicts the report written by the hack partisans on the House Intel Committee who only had one goal: shield Trump.

Comment

• so... no collusion? SAD!

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/MZHemingway/status/996836102458761216[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X