Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Jeez. Of course Kennedy writes the opinion and of course it's about as muddled and wishy-washy as it gets. The Colorado commission and its actions are the basis for the decision. They were complete pricks and got what they deserved. But that also means there isn't much of a "rule" coming out of the case. Will be interesting to see how future cases add relief to this otherwise rudderless opinion.
    I haven't looked at the opinion yet but my understanding is that only Thomas and Gorsuch really addressed first amendment issues...the other 5 were predominantly concerned that the Colorado Commission didn't give him a fair hearing. Which won't resolve things to either side's satisfaction.

Comment

• You know, I love all you guys.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        I actually like the Trump administration's approach to trade with China given the circumstances that are present now versus those that prevailed for decades as that county grew it's economy. China, along with Europe and Canada, don't deserve slack now.

I think the steel and aluminum tariff's are dumb....... 50's kind of shit that might have been appropriate 60y ago. I also think that Secretary of Commerce, Wilbur Ross and Chief Economic Adviser, Larry Kudlow know they are too. Kudlow has said as much. Ross isn't very talkative.

The threats of tariff's are reasonable negotiating tactics, very consistent with Trump's business philosophy with regards to deal making, like them or not, and, IMO, have a better chance of working than blowing up in his face. There is absolutely no question that the US, in it's benevolent mode since the end of WWII, has taken it in the ass with trade. Certainly, it's a complex area and I claim no expertise at all in it but, I can see and i understand where this appears to be going and I'm prepared to see how it turns out.

I spoke too soon in criticizing, actually laughing at, the administration and PDJT after the NK/un summit fell through. But it appears to be back on and Turmp made it clear that he is prone to walk away from a bad deal and come back to the table when the other side is willing to offer better terms.

We'll see on both counts: Trade and NK Denuclearization..
        Most people had the same reaction about N Korea, simply because they are use to seeing the way a typical politician handles high level negotiations and peace agreements. Trump has played this perfectly. We will see what happens, but i dont think there is anyone bettwe suited to sit in a room with the leader of N Korea and make him feel like a million bucks while simultaneously get everything he wants.

Comment

• I love that some on the left are calling a 7-2 decision a "narrow" decision

Comment

• Jeff- If Hungary sells more exports to us than they import in return, they are making money. That money has to be invested somewhere. A lot goes towards buying US dollars. A lot gets invested in US companies or real estate. That capital hasn't fled the country for good, never to return.

Protectionists like Trump don't understand this. They just see a balance sheet in goods (they usually ignore services because those don't produce a tangible 'product') and if it's negative, that's automatically bad. Deficits CAN be bad, but they aren't automatically so. And when you're the world's largest economy, one that isn't an export-driven economy, they matter far far less.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
              I love that some on the left are calling a 7-2 decision a "narrow" decision
              Calling it narrow is accurate. They aren't referencing the margin of the vote (7-2); they're referencing the impact of the decision. Read what Talent and others have said. The decision will actually have very little use as precedent in other cases and mainly left the freedom of religion issues unaddressed.

Comment

• something
                "The GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the second quarter of 2018 is 4.8 percent on June 1, up from 4.7 p

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Jeff- If Hungary sells more exports to us than they import in return, they are making money. That money has to be invested somewhere. A lot goes towards buying US dollars. A lot gets invested in US companies or real estate. That capital hasn't fled the country for good, never to return.

Protectionists like Trump don't understand this. They just see a balance sheet in goods (they usually ignore services because those don't produce a tangible 'product') and if it's negative, that's automatically bad. Deficits CAN be bad, but they aren't automatically so. And when you're the world's largest economy, one that isn't an export-driven economy, they matter far far less.

Kapture, you jus got TOLD!
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Kapture, you jus got TOLD!
                    I don't like tariffs, I've mentioned this 100 times. Who cares that we have a trade imbalance. wanna know who I have a trade imbalance with? Meijer. Is that a bad thing? of course it isn't

Comment

• I actually quoted the wrong DSL message. Hahaha.

Replace that one with the USSpC narrow thingy.

I am pretty!

Comment

• The Moronic Media-Manufactured Melania Mystery

The fact that Melania Trump hasn't made a public appearance in several weeks is a story the media basically willed into existence.

Comment

Attached Files
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                            something
                            The link below would indicate caution assigning tremendous value to this figure.

The chart below also demonstrates that this GDPNow figure is at least 1.5 points higher than the consensus estimate produced by blue chip Wall Street firms. Heck, it's a full percentage point higher than the HIGHEST Wall Street estimate.

At the link I also found this statement: GDPNow is not an official forecast of the Atlanta Fed. Rather, it is best viewed as a running estimate of real GDP growth based on available data for the current measured quarter. There are no subjective adjustments made to GDPNow?the estimate is based solely on the mathematical results of the model.

The guy who created the formula says it's not intended as a forecast for the entire quarter. It's what he calls a "nowcast"; as I understand it, that would be a snapshot of a moment in time in the economy. This would explain how it jumped from 4.0% to 4.8% in only about a week.

gdpnow-forecast-evolution.gif?h=421&w=578&la=en.gif

Comment

• Temporary white knight makes his exit
                              ha ha I was just laying out some bait for Froot Loops with the smart guy comment, anyway Melania came out today so on to the next story.

Comment

• RIP Dwight Clark

De4bxBvUEAEaCZR.jpg:small.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X