No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Lingard was in midseason form, fortunately for England so was Kane.

Comment

• The Mexico/ Germany and Portugal/Spain games were awesome.

Comment

• CGVT - what do you mean by restoring pipes? What goes into restoring a pipe? They look great! I have about 6 or 7 pipes myself but have always bought new over the years.

Comment

• I prefer cigars due to my laziness. Have a few pipes, though. You do have to work with them, though. Which reminds me of the old joke:

"Never hire a man who smokes a pipe. He already has a full-time job."
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by drok View Post
            CGVT - what do you mean by restoring pipes? What goes into restoring a pipe? They look great! I have about 6 or 7 pipes myself but have always bought new over the years.
            I like buy old pipes on ebay. They call them estate pipes. There are quite a few in just about any price range, and if you are lucky, you might get an old very high quality pipe that my sold for $20 in the 50s that would be a $200 pipe today.

As far as restoring, it depends on what kind of shape they are in, but I start by cleaning the inside of the stem and stummel. I use alcohol and a ton of pipe cleaners and Q-tips. I also have a brush that I run through them. I usually ream the bowl down to bare briar, so that it is essentially a "new" pipe. I soak the old vulcanite stems in Oxyclean to bring the oxidation to the surface, then I scrub it and use micro mesh sanding pads to polish it up. If it has any chips or tooth marks that I can't bring up with heat, or any pieces missing, I repair the stem with black superglue. Once I get it all polished and shinny I hit it with some Obsidian oil to protect it.

I clean the briar with Murphys oil. soap, then soak it in alcohol to remove any wax or finish. If I want to change the color or think I need to refinish it I use acetone to remove the stain. Then sand it and make it smoooooooth. I stain it with alcohol based stains then buff it and put a coat of carnuba wax on it.

The two straight pipes that I picture were cheap Brewster pipes that were made in the 60s. I bought them because the stems were in rough shape and I wanted to hone my stem restoration skills.

If really isn't hard and it is very satisfying to bring and old pipe back to life.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              I prefer cigars due to my laziness. Have a few pipes, though. You do have to work with them, though. Which reminds me of the old joke:

"Never hire a man who smokes a pipe. He already has a full-time job."
              I smoked cigars for years, but the variety of flavors and types of pipe tobacco are almost endless. Plus I like fiddling around with them
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Yeah Lingard was in midseason form, fortunately for England so was Kane.
                Heh.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I am not much on flavored tobacco. It smells nice, but I prefer ligero. Oliva V is a great example.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• a good pipe tobacco seems to smell better then any cigars.

although the cohiba sunday with the aforementioned glenfiddich watching grandsons play bball was a particulary good fathers

so do the families get the choice of being told turn your ass around and head back or we have to arrest you and take custody of your kids

btw of those 12.,000 kids in custody right now--75% of them were unaccompanied to begin with

here's a look at the problem in 2014
                    The number of children crossing the U.S. border alone has doubled since last year. Answers to key questions on the crisis.

Comment

• I like Virginias and burly/virginia/perique blends with minimal toppings. I smoke some aromatics too. Not a big fan of latakia but smoke some English blends every now and then too.

Comment

• DSL, your boy Trey Gowdy

Comment

• yardcob.jpg?ssl=1&w=450.jpg is one of my favorite pipes. It is a cheap ass corn cob. I think it cost me $1.99. I put a hardwood plug in the bottom so I don't poke through the soft cob with a pipe tool. It's my working in the yard, smoke the hell out of it pipe. I don't do anything to it other than run a cleaner through it to keep it open enough to smoke

Comment

• BTW, froot loops , No top hat required when I smoke that pipe

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              yardcob.jpg?ssl=1&w=450.jpg is one of my favorite pipes. It is a cheap ass corn cob. I think it cost me $1.99. I put a hardwood plug in the bottom so I don't poke through the soft cob with a pipe tool. It's my working in the yard, smoke the hell out of it pipe. I don't do anything to it other than run a cleaner through it to keep it open enough to smoke
                              You put tobacco or weed in that thing? Big difference.

Comment

• If I put weed in it, I wouldn't be doing any work around the yard...

Comment

Working...
                                X