Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haha! Too bad that this is spot on.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• This quote
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Carter and Brezhnev getting frisky...

Leonid Brezhnev (1906-1982) and Jimmy Carter shaking hands after signing the SALT II treaty in June 1979, Vienna.

Comment

• Obama tells Putin to be patient until he wins election:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post

This quote
            Damn Rocky ....... great quote from history at just the right time.

It was the Duke of Windsor that after Poland fell to the Nazi's and before France fell, sidled up to Hitler and his gang of Black Shirts and, according to "official" records, made a deal with these criminals to help to change the mood of Brits towards the Nazis, including those in parliament and other Royals, in exchange for him being returned to the Throne as nothing more than a puppet king after Hitler subdued the entirety of the British Isles, Continental Europe and Russia.

Fortunately Great Britain was blessed with Winston Churchill and King George the VI who kicked his ass out of the Country after he married Wallace Simpson and subsequently abdicated. Records kept at the time, including unofficial diary entries not made public until several years ago, nail the Duke of Windsor meaning the right people new exactly what he was up to, considered him a traitor and to keep things on the down low for the Royals, put him at arms distance in the US.

Lots of history here and there that no one in the current dilemma with Trump is going to think about.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I remember when the All Star game was a must watch event. Today? Eh.
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• When Rosenstein told Trump about the 12 Russian indictments, he gave him the option of announcing before or after his Helsinki summit. Trump chose before.

Comment

• If this is true, Kelly won't be around much longer

Kelly was apparently irate about the presser and when back in the States began calling around Congress, urging them to publicly criticize Trump, which would leave him little choice to but to do a 'clarification' (Also note reportedly John Bolton also thought Trump had screwed up but felt any backtracking would make it worse).

Comment

• Plot
                    Maple Street is full of children playing and adults talking when a shadow passes over, accompanied by a roar and a flash of light. The residents soon discover that their power went off, affecting stoves, lawn mowers, cars and phones. They gather in the street to discuss the situation. Pete Van Horn volunteers to walk over to Floral Street, the next street over, to see if it is affected as well. His neighbor, Steve Brand, decides to go into town, but Tommy, a local boy, urges him not to leave the street. Tommy has read a story of an alien invasion causing similar controversy, and says that the monsters do not want anyone to leave the street. Furthermore, in the story, the aliens are living as a family that appears to be human. The power outage is meant to isolate the neighborhood.

Another resident, Les Goodman, tries unsuccessfully to start his car. He gets out and begins to walk back to the other residents when the car starts on its own. The bizarre behavior of his car makes the neighbors suspect that Les may be an alien, as suggested by Tommy's story. One woman brings up his late nights spent standing in the garden looking up at the sky. Les, defending himself, claims to be an insomniac. Steve tries to defuse the situation and prevent it from becoming a witch-hunt. Charlie Farnsworth pressures Steve about his building a ham radio. Steve and the other neighbors continue to argue.

Darkness descends and a shadowy figure is seen walking toward them. Charlie panics, grabs a shotgun, and shoots the figure, thinking it to be an alien. When the crowd reaches the fallen figure, they realize it is Pete van Horn, returning from his scouting mission on Floral Street. He is dead. As Charlie struggles to defend his hasty action, the neighbors voice suspicions that Pete had discovered evidence that Charlie is an alien, and Charlie shot Pete to prevent him from exposing him. The lights in Charlie's house come on, further fueling their suspicion, and even Steve is too angered by Pete's death to defend Charlie. Charlie makes a run for his house while the other residents chase him. A hurled stone hits Charlie in the head, creating a bleeding gash. Terrified, Charlie attempts to deflect suspicion onto Tommy. Several neighbors agree, as Tommy was the only one who knew about the aliens' plans.

Lights begin flashing on and off in houses throughout the neighborhood; lawn mower and car engines start and stop for no apparent reason. The mob becomes hysterical, hurling accusations, smashing windows and taking up weapons as the situation devolves into an all-out riot.

The scene cuts to a nearby hilltop, where it is revealed the shadow that flew overhead is, indeed, an alien spaceship. Its crew are watching the riot on Maple Street while using a device to manipulate the neighborhood's power. They comment on how simply fiddling with consistency leads them to descend into paranoia and panic. They also discuss their intention to use this strategy to conquer Earth, one neighborhood at a time.

Closing narration

Comment

• FDR's musings on Uncle Joe look totally foolish in retrospect and is a dark mark on his record. Most presidents should do all they can not to look that foolish decades later, Trump does it in real time. I salute you Rocky, you have topped yourself with a towering achievement in Whataboutism

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        FDR's musings on Uncle Joe look totally foolish in retrospect and is a dark mark on his record. Most presidents should do all they can not to look that foolish decades later, Trump does it in real time. I salute you Rocky, you have topped yourself with a towering achievement in Whataboutism
                        Other curious note on that, many in the military's highest ranks felt FDR catered far too much to Churchill as well. There were top military brass in 1942 that wanted to immediately invade mainland Europe, specifically France. Churchill urged the invasion of North Africa instead. And then the Italian campaign in 1943. Not a small number of American figures felt Churchill was prioritizing the preservation of British colonies over European liberation, and using American lives to do it.

The flip side of that is that throwing raw troops at elite and experienced Nazi forces in 1942, not yet thinned out by the Soviets, could well have led to far worse casualties than D-Day.

Comment

• Well ask any Aussie what they think of Churchill and you'll get a resounding dislike of him. He sacrificed Australians to spare British casualties on a number of fronts early in WWII when the site of British soldiers dying put the British citizenry in no mood for fighting the Nazis. There was great resentment in British Parliament from 1939 to just when it became clear that Churchill was beginning to turn the tide of war in early 1943 of Churchill's seemingly brazen disregard for the cost of war. Many wanted to negotiate a peace with Hitler. The Australians will begrudgingly admit however, that Great Britain, under Churchill's leadership, withstood both political challenges from within as well as military challenges from the Nazi's and triumphed. It's a great story that flat out wasn't fake or manufactured news in it's day.

Trump trying to walk back his ill-informed comments about Russian meddling in the 2016 election at Helsinki come as a stark contrast to true leadership exhibited by Winston Churchill and many other outstanding leaders when faced with difficult challenges.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Yes, thanks. My question is what possible complaint could they file against the victims? Spilling blood on their property?
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Its legal maneuvering in an attempt to gain liability shielding under some legal homeland security blanket. MGM is potentially facing 500+ lawsuits, certainly lawyers will argue that how could the hotel allow someone to bring that many weapons in without being culpable. I find that baseless but I am neither judge nor jury. The suit asks for no damages from the defendants only liability redress.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X