No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a dnc staffer gets murdered with no witnesses--shot in the back--nothing taken all around the time the dnc/Hillary's emails start showing up embarrassing multiple people and dsl claims nothing to see here move along--2 years later still no signs of progress in the case.
    fyi I don't believe he was the leaker now but when you have a PFC in the military having access and leaking multiple sensitive items and thrown in jail along with snowdens case itsnot that hard to imagine rich possibly doing the same. now that putin has basically admitted his kgb hacked into it due to the dnc arrogance the likelihood rich had anything to do with it is slim and none--you happy now DSL?---e.e.

Comment

• Yes the hackers hacked in due to arrogance. hahaha, clueless

Comment

• I heard this story on NPR yesterday. Worth the read.

Russian influence-mongers appear to have created a number of fake local news Twitter accounts — and spent years posting real headlines.

Russian Influence Campaign Sought To Exploit Americans' Trust In Local News

July 12, 20185:00 AM ET
        Heard on All Things Considered

LIBBY BERRY

Newly discovered aspects of Russia's active measures apparently reveal an effort to exploit Americans' greater trust in local news than in national news organizations.

Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

Russia's information attack against the United States during the 2016 election cycle sought to take advantage of the greater trust that Americans tend to place in local news.

The information operatives who worked out of the Internet Research Agency in St. Petersburg did not stop at posing as American social media users or spreading false information from purported news sources, according to new details.

They also created a number of Twitter accounts that posed as sources for Americans' hometown headlines.

NPR has reviewed information connected with the investigation and found 48 such accounts. They have names such as @ElPasoTopNews, @MilwaukeeVoice, @CamdenCityNews and @Seattle_Post.

"A not-insignificant amount of those had some sort of variation on what appeared to be a homegrown local news site," said Bret Schafer, a social media analyst for the Alliance for Securing Democracy, which tracks Russian influence operations and first noticed this trend.

Another example: The Internet Research Agency created an account that looks like it is the Chicago Daily News. That newspaper shuttered in 1978.

The Internet Research Agency-linked account was created in May 2014, and for years, it just posted local headlines, accumulating some 19,000 followers by July 2016. Another twist: These accounts apparently never spread misinformation. In fact, they posted real local news, serving as sleeper accounts building trust and readership for some future, unforeseen effort.

"They set them up for a reason. And if at any given moment, they wanted to operationalize this network of what seemed to be local American news handles, they can significantly influence the narrative on a breaking news story," Schafer told NPR. "But now instead of just showing up online and flooding it with news sites, they have these accounts with two years of credible history."

Twitter caught these Internet Research Agency accounts in the act and suspended them.

The discovery and suspension of the local accounts suggests two things as investigators continue to build their understanding about Russia's campaign of active measuresPew survey from 2016 found that 82 percent of Americans have "some" or "a lot" of confidence in local news organizations.

"If you're trying to pass along information that is not true but you want people to believe it, creating or inventing fake local news sources is an effective way of doing it because people will convey some trust to the locality even if the publication is one they've never seen before." said Tom Rosenstiel, the executive director of the American Press Institute.

Though this particular effort to exploit local news failed, the Russian misinformation campaign continues now.

"This effort is not over," said Sen. Susan Collins, a Republican on the Senate intelligence committee. "It continues to this very day, where the Russians are trying to sow the seeds of discontent in our society, take advantage of the polarization that exists."
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
          Its legal maneuvering in an attempt to gain liability shielding under some legal homeland security blanket. MGM is potentially facing 500+ lawsuits, certainly lawyers will argue that how could the hotel allow someone to bring that many weapons in without being culpable. I find that baseless but I am neither judge nor jury. The suit asks for no damages from the defendants only liability redress.
          So, they are suing to force the victims to agree to not hold them liable? That maneuver would piss me off and want to sue them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• jrfbo1hbgla11.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

So, they are suing to force the victims to agree to not hold them liable? That maneuver would piss me off and want to sue them.
              Yeah, probably so. Traveling on business, I've brought to hotels scads of stuff in long boxes and short squat cases. No way to tell if it's demonstration equipment and/or giveaways from something lethal. MGM is afraid that some do-gooder jury hands them a billion dollar judgement for something they had no control over. Unless you're willing to impose airport-esque security at hotel lobbies with the specific intent of uncovering implements of destruction, how can you even think of holding a hotel liable. Most hotels do not even have a policy of no firearms on the premises. That could change for liability issues but in reality have no effect as wackos tend to ignore laws and rules.

The suit is a reflection of our litigious society - "I've been wronged so I need millions of dollars." Not trying to minimize this particular tragedy, its just the general attitude.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Trump tells his base (in one of this morning's tweets) that they're all gullible shitheads that believe anything he says.

"So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki."
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Yes, thanks. My question is what possible complaint could they file against the victims? Spilling blood on their property?
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Decent NPR article, CGVT.........

I don't think you can escape America's vulnerability to the kinds of disinformation campaigns our enemies can mount against us. Frankly, there is not a lot of effective counterintelligence or protective efforts we can launch to limit it. Which is exactly why Mueller's investigation is so important and why the President's attempts, along with his supporters, trying to discredit it is so wrong minded.

I am becoming increasingly angry with Trump's continuing efforts to deflect attention from the actual role of the DOJ and Special Prosecutor and focus attention on his egocentric preoccupation with the notion that Mueller and his henchmen are trying to discredit has presidential election win over HRC. Moreover, I find the continuing discussion about what the BO administration did or did not do when it became clear DNC HQ was getting hacked by Russian Intelligence agents as a means of deflecting blame for Russian meddling away from Russia/Putin and onto the previous administration, counterproductive ...... fucking stupid if you will as it creates this false reality that it is unnecessary to hold the Russians accountable for what amounts to nothing less, in it's totality and impact on American democracy, than an act of war.

I think the media, the part of it that is willing to identify PDJT for what he is, along with the parts of government that, according to reports, hem Trump in or have an impact on his behaviors, by speaking the truth, is a huge benefit to Americans who are willing to listen. I still say that I appreciate the President's approach to many issues and would support him if it not for the serious character defects and intellectual deficits he possesses and dangerously acts on.
                    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Sorry, but Trump knows he didn't collude. That is why there is a Mueller investigation. And since they will find no collusion since Trump didn't collude, Mueller has free reign to go find a crime. All while the Democrats are fundraising off of this, all while the dark cloud hangs over this presidency. All the while the Democrats will impeach at the first possibility. over what exactly?

Because he said pussy 13 years ago. Because he is a loud mouth Manhattan billionaire. All because he beat the next in line and is fading away the legacy of the left's messiah.

The partisan way the intelligence community acted under 0bama, between Comey, McCabe, Brennan, and Clapper, why isn't Trump taking the word at face value of the agencies that are trying to destroy his presidency?

Comment

• I wish I could just take the strong, forceful advocacy for his daughters intellectual property, and leave the fumbling, failing effort to fully fund 666 Fifth Ave. But as with any policy agenda you're not going to like every core element.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                          .....Sorry, but Trump knows he didn't collude. That is why there is a Mueller investigation.
                          Words are critical hear and you are one to frequently argue a point on this basis. The Special Counsel (Mueller) was appointed to investigate the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election. The body of the appointment letter is included at the link below. There is nothing in it that appoints Mueller to investigate "collusion" between the Russian Government and Trump. The terms that Rosenstein does use in his appointment letter regarding the investigation are to investigate "any links/and or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald J. Trump."

The deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, appointed former F.B.I. Director Robert S. Mueller III as the special counsel to oversee the investigation into Russian tampering in the 2016 presidential election.

So far,and from what we know from indictments issued by the Special Counsel, Mueller has done exactly that and nothing more. Trump's egocentric preoccupation with the notion that Mueller wants to find evidence of collusion and that collusion resulted in Trump beating HRC in the 2016 presidential is counter productive. So is the harmful deflection Trump routinely undertakes involving question about HRC, BO and the DNC HQ hacking. That behavior has given rise to the awful soap opera, in all its facets and skull duggery, in DC surrounding these events. His actions and that of his supporters has taken the attention away from probably the most important investigation involving the national security of this nation in my lifetime. I'm sick of it.

Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                          And since they will find no collusion since Trump didn't collude, Mueller has free reign to go find a crime. All while the Democrats are fundraising off of this, all while the dark cloud hangs over this presidency. All the while the Democrats will impeach at the first possibility. over what exactly? Because he said pussy 13 years ago. Because he is a loud mouth Manhattan billionaire. All because he beat the next in line and is fading away the legacy of the left's messiah. The partisan way the intelligence community acted under 0bama, between Comey, McCabe, Brennan, and Clapper, why isn't Trump taking the word at face value of the agencies that are trying to destroy his presidency?
                          The conspiracy theory? I'll give you 10% just because I know about sleazy Washington DC politics. My view is that for the most part, Trump and his supporters have conjured up this specter of bad guys, inside and outside the Federal government, working to discredit his election win and oust him from office through impeachment ...... a term that is so loosely thrown about in that town that it rises to the level of absurdity. If there is any attempt to discredit Donald Trump, he does a lot of that himself with his behavior at home and abroad, nationally and internationally on multiple levels. The rest is done by purveyors of the truth, the facts, that DJT pays little attention to although he should start right now.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Boom!
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Eloquently and accurately stated Jeff.

Comment

• Hack,
                                you seem to have some knowledge about Economics. We use metrics like GDP, unemployment rate, the Dow Jones, etc to gauge the state of the economy. Are these the accurate measures to determine the state of the economy on Main Street? Or should we use other metrics like real wages, purchasing power, etc?
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X