No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a disincentive to buy Chinese goods. If it was just a tax on US consumers, the Chinese wouldn't give two shits. Now, the issue is on the tariffs that Trump has inacted on Chinese goods that there are no viable alternatives to from other countries. If Trump continues this, the smart play is to earmark the collected tariff dollars as incentives for US firms to start manufacturing the tariffed Chinese goods.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I am a free market capitalist. But I did like Shug. Nice guy, decorated war hero, and seldom beat Bama.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          It is a disincentive to buy Chinese goods. If it was just a tax on US consumers, the Chinese wouldn't give two shits. Now, the issue is on the tariffs that Trump has inacted on Chinese goods that there are no viable alternatives to from other countries. If Trump continues this, the smart play is to earmark the collected tariff dollars as incentives for US firms to start manufacturing the tariffed Chinese goods.
          Well certainly, it impacts China as well. But it's the US consumer who's paying the actual rise in price, should they continue to purchase that item.

As for the rest, sounds like you want the govt setting the price of goods and are asking for lots of central planning, comrade! Have a good 5 year plan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Well certainly, it impacts China as well. But it's the US consumer who's paying the actual rise in price, should they continue to purchase that item.

As for the rest, sounds like you want the govt setting the price of goods and are asking for lots of central planning, comrade! Have a good 5 year plan?
            No reasonable person could infer anything that I "want" from my post. I was simply countering the "tariffs on Chicom goods are nothing more than taxes on US citizens!" caterwauling.

They are something more. Like I said, they are disincentives to buy Chinese goods. That's why Bejing is up in arms over the move.

Comment

• As a general rule, I am anti tariff. Or, at the worst, I support a mirror policy of tariffs. I think that Trump thinks that he is doing that. But you can't look at total dollars like he is, you have to look at percents.

Comment

• For years, Mrs. Alabam'Alum' purchased Chinese-made Vienna Sausages made with a lamprey and tripe slurry because they were cheaper than the all-hog rectum Vienna Sausages produced in Minnesota. Mr. Alabam'Alum' never knew the difference. One day the US govt decided that US Vienna Sausage producers had to be protected and levied a 25% tariff on Chinese imports. Hormel now being cheaper, Mrs. Alum switched back to the patriotic brand. But Mr. Alum worked at a pharmaceutical plant making phony homeopathic medicine to sell on the Chinese market and soon found himself unemployed after retaliatory tariffs crippled his industry! All they can now afford are Vienna Sausages, which cost more than they did just months ago!

-- O. Henry

Comment

• OVER THE LINE!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    As a general rule, I am anti tariff. Or, at the worst, I support a mirror policy of tariffs. I think that Trump thinks that he is doing that. But you can't look at total dollars like he is, you have to look at percents.
                    and he's doing it for a specific end result, which i think is zero tariffs all around. to those freaking ot that Trump is plunging the world into a trade war ignore that we have been in a trade war for decades. we're just now starting to punch back.

Comment

• I should have included a reference to peat.

"Peat salad garnished w/ a sliced Vienna sausage was his preferred dinner after a shift producing faux shark fin remedies". Something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

and he's doing it for a specific end result, which i think is zero tariffs all around. to those freaking ot that Trump is plunging the world into a trade war ignore that we have been in a trade war for decades. we're just now starting to punch back.
                        This implies that we impose no tariffs ourselves which is, of course, not true. We protect all sorts of domestic industries and the average US tariff is no lowet than that of the EU or Japan. Canada's tariffs are actually lower than ours. And I don't believe ours only exist as retaliation. There is plenty of political pressure, even from conservative parts of the country, to 'protect' certain domestic industries. The American sugar industry is a big one.

Comment

• China is a country where a zero tariff goal may be possible. We have a $400 billion dollar trade deficit with them. It's a dangerous game with uncertain benefits even if we "win". With zero tariffs, it would not change our trade deficit. They would buy more of our now cheaper soybeans or whatever and we would buy more Wal-Mart clothing or whatever.

Comment

• If Trump continues this, the smart play is to earmark the collected tariff dollars as incentives for US firms to start manufacturing the tariffed Chinese goods.

Exactly. The challenge though is that it's a horizons mismatch. A company making a 30-year investment is never going to rely on the abrupt policy swing even in ideal circumstances. It'll first wait to see if the policy survives beyond that administration, and then start wondering if said policy has the staying power to make a 30-year investment sensible.

These aren't ideal circumstances for policy credibility. Companies have every reason to expect that this doesn't outlive Trump even if it is the actual policy. It's not Congress' policy.

Comment

• The risk is that it just further makes the US unpredictable and the dollar less of a safe haven. I think should the dollar ever lose its status as the world's reserve currency, then things could go south here fairly fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

That's precisely what we have been doing for my entire life. You prove how virtuous you are by condemning the "racists". This is the strategy known as "punching to the right", and it has been a catastrophic failure.
                                i mean it's not hard to condemn the racists. i don't know how old you are, but i tend to think we're less racist as a society than we were 70 years ago. also i reject the premise that all racists occupy the extreme right. leftist identity politics is as racist as white nationalism. at least unlike the left, those on the right identify it, and disassociate with it. those on the left have tried like mad to convince the world that racism can only come from a position of power. the left sees racism where it doesn't exist an ignore it within their own ranks, and they deny their own racist history.

I'm not sure if your arguement is that the result is the right is fractured because of it, i say so be it. the number of neo nazis and kkk members in America couldn't fill the Big House, and it's a big country. of course the left would have everyone believing that America's institutions, our Constitution, the whole of society, 60+ million American that voted for Trump are all seething with racism that they all need to be torn down in the name of social and radical justice, but i don't think too many people buy into that either. maybe 20% of the country? certinly no rational being buys it.

Comment

Working...
                                X