Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Well then you should go to your grave cursing the name "John Marshall" every night.
    Nope

Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Because John Marshall=William Brennan=Sotomayor=any judge who engaged in judicial review, ever. Of course.
    This.

If I were to go to the grave cursing a name, it would be Earl Warren. It is during that era that the court became a partisan activist branch and not a Constitutional check on the power of the Executive and Legislative branches. For the decades that followed, we tried to argue for Strict Constructionism, to no avail. So now it's just full partisan.
    Last edited by Hannibal; September 25, 2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Well, it was 9 months from the election, but I'm sure thoughts will be outstanding. The Senate implemented the Biden rule, which, of course is fine by the rules and such. But, in any event I'm sure you'll reach the conclusion that the Rs were acting terribly and justified whatever the Ds are doing now, even though the Ds are just seeking justice for "survivors." Should be a great read.
      AA-

Talent may need to have a cold beverage and relax.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
        So I come back to my original question. I would appreciate hearing your own reasoning as to why you hate Trump. I'd appreciate hearing from any of the progs about this. Disagreement is far different than the level of vituperation directed at the President.
        First of all, there is no burden of proof requirement in the Kavanaugh discussion. This is essentially a job interview, not a trial. I have remained silent (here) on the issue as I see problems with the actions of both parties. I am not in a position to impose a solution nor even have a solution considered, so why be part of the noisy problem? Re Garland - My reading of the Constitution says that the Senate is to "advise and consent" these type of appointments. Nowhere does it say "well, block the nomination from coming to the floor so that if my party wins the Presidency, I can deny you your right to even have a vote on your nominee, because I can basically wipe my butt with the Constitution and do whatever my partisan whims take me." Is Kavanaugh's experience something I approve of? No. But GOP complaints, given their abandonment of their Constitutional responsibilities in regards to Garland, ring pretty darn hollow.

Hate for Trump? That's pretty harsh. In my original response, I listed the activities that Trump has engaged in that are also the goals for the Russian intelligence agencies. At best the man is a Russian stooge surreptitiously positioning himself for post presidential enrichment. At worst he's a traitor who should be dealt with accordingly. I proudly served my nation because I strongly believe in the rights enshrined in it's founding. I did not willingly serve to have a Russian agent installed in the Presidency. Trump's belligerent rhetoric, assinine opinions, habitual lies, and distorted sense of reality that borders on mental illness is simply extreme free speech. His actions, however, clearly demonstrate that the interests of the United States are not even on his radar. He is a clear and present danger to our Republic. Distasteful as it would be, I would accept a religious mullah like Pence in his place. At least Pence would not be feeding/selling America's secrets to it's enemy. I'd wager big money that if Trump is impeached and removed, all of our secrets will be sold to his mentor Vlad Putin. Trump cares only for himself and would gladly destroy our beloved nation for his own ego and financial gain. That is undeniable to all but the Trump cultists.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Trump cares only for himself and would gladly destroy our beloved nation for his own ego and financial gain.

Well, as I just said: "People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason. But the privileged also feel that their privileges, however egregious they may seem to others, are a solemn, basic, God-given right. The sensitivity of the poor to injustice is a trivial thing compared with that of the rich."

Comment

Geezer thought that with this very creepy post he was defending Kavanaugh's nature. But Kavanaugh just told Fox in an interview that he remained a virgin all through high school and, in fact, for many years thereafter.

So Geezer- Do you figure Kavanaugh is gay, transsexual, or animalisitic?
            That was indeed a creepy post

Comment

• Comment

I'll probably have more thoughts later but how was leaving a Supreme Court seat open for 14 months, by refusing to contemplate literally anyone nominated by Obama, "playing by the rules"? The rules don't say that the voters are to determine the fate of certain Supreme Court seats but not others. And it seems to me that advocating the idea that elections should determine the fate of Supreme Court seats is, in effect, further politicizing the process.
                little over 8 months. to the election that is. Ask Biden, it was his rule. I guess more of a political standard.

More than two decades ago, Mr. Biden, who was chairman of the Judiciary Committee, suggested a different standard for filling vacancies in election years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

First of all, there is no burden of proof requirement in the Kavanaugh discussion. This is essentially a job interview, not a trial. I have remained silent (here) on the issue as I see problems with the actions of both parties. I am not in a position to impose a solution nor even have a solution considered, so why be part of the noisy problem? Re Garland - My reading of the Constitution says that the Senate is to "advise and consent" these type of appointments. Nowhere does it say "well, block the nomination from coming to the floor so that if my party wins the Presidency, I can deny you your right to even have a vote on your nominee, because I can basically wipe my butt with the Constitution and do whatever my partisan whims take me." Is Kavanaugh's experience something I approve of? No. But GOP complaints, given their abandonment of their Constitutional responsibilities in regards to Garland, ring pretty darn hollow.

Hate for Trump? That's pretty harsh. In my original response, I listed the activities that Trump has engaged in that are also the goals for the Russian intelligence agencies. At best the man is a Russian stooge surreptitiously positioning himself for post presidential enrichment. At worst he's a traitor who should be dealt with accordingly. I proudly served my nation because I strongly believe in the rights enshrined in it's founding. I did not willingly serve to have a Russian agent installed in the Presidency. Trump's belligerent rhetoric, assinine opinions, habitual lies, and distorted sense of reality that borders on mental illness is simply extreme free speech. His actions, however, clearly demonstrate that the interests of the United States are not even on his radar. He is a clear and present danger to our Republic. Distasteful as it would be, I would accept a religious mullah like Pence in his place. At least Pence would not be feeding/selling America's secrets to it's enemy. I'd wager big money that if Trump is impeached and removed, all of our secrets will be sold to his mentor Vlad Putin. Trump cares only for himself and would gladly destroy our beloved nation for his own ego and financial gain. That is undeniable to all but the Trump cultists.
                  Then the optimal solution would be to LISTEN to BOTH parties before making up one's mind.

Yet day after day, Dem Senators have emphatically stated they believe her. Without ever hearing from her directly. Even though all three men and one woman said to be present at the party all deny it under penalty of felony. Even though the dems have attempted to play politics with this woman, holding her allegation to the last second. Even though they have not heard from Brett on the record in direct response the the allegations leveled against him.

The republicans on the committee have been more than fair. They have offered to interview her in California. They have offered a closed session. They have extended their deadline to hear back from her lawyer 6 times. The Democrats have not extended the same level of fairness.

And it's obvious. And it's pissing off the Republican base. And it's pissing off a lot of independents.

Comment

• I hate to buy into the notion that Trump is as stupid as he behaves, but it kinda looks like it with this banging on OPEC. Cancelling the Iran deal has oil investors expecting a return to $100 barrels come early '19. To be fair, Saudi should pay for that policy outcome, but I don't know that it has the power it once did to control oil prices.

Comment

• I don't see it pissing off independents. I think that's wishful thinking. But I do see it as spending what little remains of #METOO capital and then some. When it comes to the power of a decades old, unverified rape accusation to destroy somebody, it doesn't get more extreme than this. We are now at the point where what you (allegedly) did in high school is fair game for your character check. At this point even Cuckservative Republicans and beta male feminists are probably realizing how easily this cannon can be turned on them.

Comment

• If investors are expecting $100 crude then they certainly aren't paying for it. January, 2019 Brent futures are at $80 right now. WTI is at about $72.
                        Last edited by Hannibal; September 25, 2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• 0crwe24ltfo11.jpg?width=439&s=201c68a2bd80ae898f6b8e468b20b7a173306b36.jpg

Comment

• Today's FT.

Comment

• say5lv4w2eo11.jpg?width=454&s=ddc9d0552de93d0656b88b96b26531ce96768d8b.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                We are now at the point where what you (allegedly) did in high school is fair game for your character check.
                                Which is a good lesson to send to current high-school kids. I'd choose that over telling them they don't have to be decent humans just yet. And we're at the either/or point now. A message is going to be sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X