Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

Yup. But not a peep out of Roberts when Obama specifically targeted an Alito's decision during a State of the Union speech. Roberts is a swamp creature.
    Yeah, I saw where Chuck Grassley said this same thing. Too bad it's not true. Roberts later put out a statement calling Obama's actions "very troubling"

And at any rate, Trump has gone much further than Obama did, attacking not a judicial decision but the judges themselves.

Even the Trump-friendly Washington Examiner's article suggests neither you or Grassley have the facts quite right.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, on Wednesday lashed out at Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts for issuing a rare statement about President Trump, accusing him of staying silent when former President Barack Obama was publicly critical of the court's Citizens United decision. "Chief Justice Roberts rebuked Trump for a comment he made abt

Comment

• ......... shocking. Facts not right.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I don't think I have seen such a display of presidential idiocy in my lifetime of being moderately aware of presidential politics - that would have been 1969 when Nixon became President.

The stock market is down because of the Democratic control of the House.

I'm sorry I drove oil prices so low and created a traffic jam.

We don't know that the House of Saud was involved in the Kashoggi murder.

Justice Roberts is wrong ..... a fucking twitter attack on the Chief Justice.

The level of imbecility emanating from this particular White House is just beyond belief. It is a national disgrace and international embarrassment.

People who are buying this utter bullshit, supporting this clown cannot be considered as being reasonable people.

For me, it's gotten to the point that the public or PR aspects of his presidency are so disgraceful and troubling that I'm not sure I can support some of the underlying policy positions he has staked out that I have gone or record here as supporting. I'd rather see him gone.
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 21, 2018, 10:35 PM.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

And because his ego is too brittle to just drop something or take it private, he is now publicly punching back at Justice Roberts...
          i would say the same about Roberts

bottom line a district judge issuing a nationwide injunction to halt a legal order by the president exercising his constitutional authority is not an independent judiciary, it is judicial activism. there is no two ways about it. and having a justice jumping into the political fray is disturbing.
          Last edited by Kapture1; November 22, 2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• I don't think I have seen such a display of presidential idiocy in my lifetime of being moderately aware of presidential politics - that would have been 1969 when Nixon became President.

Sadly, this is a case of be careful of what you wish for as it may very well come true. I hope the American electorate has learned a lesson. "We're mad. At everything. And to show how mad we are, we are going to vote for the most vile and incompetent buffoon we can find. Some one (probably the only one) clearly worse than Hillary (no easy task). We don't care that he advocates sexual assault, we don't care that he is a business swindler, we don't care that he has bigoted points of view, we don't care that he attacks military families that have lost children for this nation, we don't care that he's a uncontrollable pathological liar, we don't care if he gleefully acts as a foreign agent to the detriment of the US national interests, we don't care that he is a counter-productive, petulant, thin skinned narcissist, we don't care that he is completely unqualified and unable to even remotely grasp the responsibility of the office. We're mad." Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

The head of Russia's spy agency has dropped dead of "serious illness" at the age of 62. His immediate predecessor also died in office of "illness". He was 58.

Will Trump attend the funerals or will he send Pence? Or will he just send condolences via the usual dead drop?
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

i would say the same about Roberts

bottom line a district judge issuing a nationwide injunction to halt a legal order by the president exercising his constitutional authority is not an independent judiciary, it is judicial activism. there is no two ways about it. and having a justice jumping into the political fray is disturbing.
                Well, it's where we are. Why are we here? Because reasonable people are outraged by the president's public conduct.

Comment

• Trump this morning says that the judiciary has no business getting involved in Safety & Security matters. They must not ever put restraints on our great law enforcement. Else we will have chaos, bedlam, injury, and death. Happy Thanksgiving!

He's also been using the 9th Circuit's reversal rate at the Supreme Court as evidence it needs to be dismantled in some way.

George Conway (Kellyanne's husband) brings up some interesting facts (facts always being an enemy of the Trumpist Party). He notes that while the 9th does have a high reversal rate, it isn't the highest in the country. The average for the entire county is 74%. That does not mean the Appeals Courts are doing a lousy job. It means, as Conway points out, that the Supreme Court picks and chooses its cases from thousands upon thousands of cases and they are unlikely to take up their time with decisions in which they will simply Affirm a lower court's decision. And the 9th gets more cases seleected in part because it is the biggest in the country with the most judges and the largest caseload.

Dsm7ZbgWwAArM5H.jpg:small.jpg

Comment

• Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• It seems self defeating strategy to criticize the chief of the court that you are hoping will overturn the decision. At the very least it is counterproductive.

Comment

• Interesting take on SA and the Kashoggi affair from, surprisingly, the NYT. The gist of the story is that Trump is correct in his strategic assessment of the role of SA in undermining Iranian power and influence in the region and should therefore not create instability within the Saudi kingdom that might weaken it or cause them to tack to the Russians for shelter.

Comment

• I think I said it when it happened, but the grotesquely cynical take is that one inconsequential journalist can't possibly trump geopolitical foreign policy aims. The Saudis do a lot of disgusting, revolting things. They typically confine their repugnant behavior to the confines of the Kingdom, but whatever. The question always has to be how valuable do you see SA as an ally in the shitfest that is the ME. Of course, the flip side is do you really think SA is going to piss on the US over condemnation of one journalist.

That doesn't mean, however, that you must extol, approve or otherwise excuse awful behavior. It means you can remain silent on it or tepid in condemnation.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            I don't think I have seen such a display of presidential idiocy in my lifetime of being moderately aware of presidential politics - that would have been 1969 when Nixon became President.

The stock market is down because of the Democratic control of the House.

I'm sorry I drove oil prices so low and created a traffic jam.

We don't know that the House of Saud was involved in the Kashoggi murder.

Justice Roberts is wrong ..... a fucking twitter attack on the Chief Justice.

The level of imbecility emanating from this particular White House is just beyond belief. It is a national disgrace and international embarrassment.

People who are buying this utter bullshit, supporting this clown cannot be considered as being reasonable people.

For me, it's gotten to the point that the public or PR aspects of his presidency are so disgraceful and troubling that I'm not sure I can support some of the underlying policy positions he has staked out that I have gone or record here as supporting. I'd rather see him gone.
                            Gonna close the thread after this. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Comment

Yeah, I saw where Chuck Grassley said this same thing. Too bad it's not true. Roberts later put out a statement calling Obama's actions "very troubling"

And at any rate, Trump has gone much further than Obama did, attacking not a judicial decision but the judges themselves.

Even the Trump-friendly Washington Examiner's article suggests neither you or Grassley have the facts quite right.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-rebuked-alito
                              I'd love to read the articles or the statement you allude to.

What is factually true is that Obama castigated the Supreme Court for allowing foreign corporations to donate money to political campaigns. To this Alito mouthed "no, no...". Obama's statement was factually FALSE.

Trump called the Ninth Circuit "a disaster" while leaving to go to Florida. He said the Judge was political. Both statements are TRUE.

One wonders what would have happened after December 7, 1941, if a Federal Judge who favored non-intervention in WWII issued an injunction against military action for whatever reason he could come up with. At what point does the Judicial Branch stop imposing their own foreign policy using this "injunctive relief" canard. Does anyone here believe that if the President stopped all immigration of every kind for a period (as is specifically allowed by current law) that this Judge or Circuit would not immediately enjoin him from doing so? Justice Thomas has already written that this foreign-policy-by-District-Judges is a problem that the SC needs to deal with this term. And keep in mind DACA, which was Obama unilaterally behaving contrary to the specific dictates of law.

Pretty soon you will see calls for mining the border or some other violent response to the lawless behavior by the Central Americans who have specifically rejected amnesty in Mexico. On what basis can they reject Mexico and want America other than the extensive welfare state we Americans have developed. Another dangerous response would be for the President to say what Andrew Jackson said, "...The Court has made their decision, not let them enforce it...". This would be a disaster, but I believe it is coming.

Oh, yes, Strange, I apologize for the capital letters. It is not my intent to make you prog snowflakes fearfull.

Comment

• The NYT article points out previous presidencies have done a better job of downplaying the unsavory aspects of befriending shit-ass sovereign nations when strategic interests warrant it. The current president just sucks at it. The problem is that support for his otherwise justifiable strategic approaches erodes when he can't sell them. For a guy that claims to be a salesman, he is a stupendous failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X