No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs Drunk History when we've got this?

Comment

• I love Drunk History. Trouble is, the DH version of the Trump Administration would be confused as a stone sober documentary.
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Another insight into 's amoral thought processes. It doesn't matter if its right or if its wrong, its all about the optics.

President Donald Trump told a group of lawmakers he can’t accept Democrats’ offer to re-open the government as the two sides negotiate border wall funding because he “would look foolish if I did that,” according to a person familiar with the exchange.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• He sounds like an idiot but in this case he's not wrong. He gets that empires often die as a result of military overreach. Of course there's a better way to do this, and if course you cannot have a world ordered according to your interests without paying to make that happen, so a balance must be struck.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            He sounds like an idiot but in this case he's not wrong. He gets that empires often die as a result of military overreach. Of course there's a better way to do this, and if course you cannot have a world ordered according to your interests without paying to make that happen, so a balance must be struck.
            He's right about Afghanistan bankrupting the Soviets (other things happened too, but yeah). But then he goes on to say that t was the right thing to do. First American president to praise the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan because, he claims, they were fighting terrorists. Afghanistan was sending a bunch of terrorists to the Soviet Union.

That's...not what happened.

Comment

• Would have been nice if we cared as much about the real reason Busy and Cheney went into Iraq as we do today about this.

Comment

• From Wiki:

Prior to the arrival of Soviet troops, Afghanistan's communist party took power after a 1978 coup, installing Nur Mohammad Taraki as president. The party initiated a series of radical modernization reforms throughout the country that were deeply unpopular, particularly among the more traditional rural population and the established traditional power structures. The regime's policy of vigorously suppressing opposition, executing thousands of political prisoners and ordering massacres against unarmed civilians, led to the rise of anti-government armed groups, and by April 1979 large parts of the country were in open rebellion. The government itself experienced in-party rivalry, and in September 1979 Taraki was murdered under orders of his rival and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hafizullah Amin, which soured relations with the Soviet Union. Eventually the Soviet government, under leader Leonid Brezhnev, decided to deploy the 40th Army on December 24, 1979. Arriving in the capital Kabul, they staged a coup, killing president Amin and installing Soviet loyalist Babrak Karmal from a rival faction.

Comment

• Putin's cock holster.

Is Trump so stupid that he just makes shit up when he doesn't know? Or is this yet another overt blowjob for Putin? What can possibly explain this kind of behavior?

Comment

• Screenshot 2019-01-02 at 7.41.24 PM.png
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• What many 'Russia collusion' cheerleaders cite as the start of a conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Moscow was, in fact, something very different.

Comment

• During the campaign, Trump said he would have no problem banning lobbyists and "big donors" from serving in his administration

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...dministration/

He didn't want lobbyists and special interests making decisions

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...cial-interests

So what is the reality?

I'd add that the Secretary of Education is from a family of billionaires who donated huge amounts to Trump's campaign and has a financial stake in for-profit universities.

I'm guessing 99% of Trump's supporters are fine with all this because they never once genuinely meant "drain the swamp" for all and believed it to only meant "get rid of the Dems and anyone that once worked under Obama". They never really meant end self-dealing and corruption in DC.

Comment

• The anti-establishment rants were one of the only things I liked that he said in the campaign. But it seems like the deal here is that the GOP protects him in exchange for conservative judges and the promotion of swamp creatures into such jobs.

Comment

• Ghengis Jon, where's your morning-sneer post? I need that little dose of righteous focus to get my day started right. Please be considerate.

Comment

• Heh. I must be slipping. Sometimes there's just too much fodder to choose from.

I wonder if Very Stable Genius will be holding the book for this swearing in.

Rashida Tlaib likes to tell a story about how when she found out she had been elected to Congress, her 13-year-old son whispered in her ear, “See mama, bullies don’t win.”

Comment

• Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X