Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    I really missed the boat on that band. I love It Still Moves, and know I should listen more. I wonder if they are still worth seeing. So, Bonnaroo 2008 is the live show to try?
    That one is considered the gold standard at Bonnaroo, but some of that is its nearly 4 hours long and it was done in a pretty heavy rain. By the end when they are covering Home Sweet Home with Zach Galifinakis at 3:45 AM it gets pretty rough. Interesting time for them, they were almost there in terms of stardom but it didn't happen for various reasons.

Comment

• Thanks -- will have a listen. Have never done one of the big festivals. Imagine it would be too aggravating.

Comment

• BEZv9ou.jpg

Comment

• I haven't done a proper concert in 20 years, kids get in the way.

Comment

• It's an unprecendented emegency
            It would be a total load of crap and a disgusting example of executive overreach, DSL. However, what can really expect? I mean, Obama decided to bypass Congress on immigration and govern by executive fiat. This is just the pendulum swinging back. So, you know, it's Obama's fault.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

It would be a total load of crap and a disgusting example of executive overreach, DSL. However, what can really expect? I mean, Obama decided to bypass Congress on immigration and govern by executive fiat. This is just the pendulum swinging back. So, you know, it's Obama's fault.
              it's not though. It's not just that he has the constitutional authority, he also has the statutory authority to do it. 0bama, when he signed an executive order bypassing congress on DACA, he didn't have the constitutional or statutory authority.

The real question is does the provisions in the National Emergencies Act of 1976 go too far with presidential authority? I would say absolutely yes, it does, like confiscating private business for example. This Act was passed by Congress to reign in the presidential powers, as to get an idea of how much power the executive had prior to this passing Congress. It is odd to me that Republicans and Conservatives are getting all itchy under the collar at the idea of the president exercising one of his statutory powers, literally using the tools available to him. He is not abusing his constitutional authority.

Now it will be challenged in court. They will go judge shopping and will likely end up in the 9th circus. And it is not a guarantee that Roberts will rule on what the statues actually say, so who knows in the end. But him using the tools available to him isn't anywhere near the same thing as creating DACA out of whole cloth, or ordering departments in the federal government to ignore the laws.
              Last edited by Kapture1; January 11, 2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• There are legal semantics and broader constitutional questions. It may very well be that by some letter of some law PDJT can do this. The same could be said for some of Obama's Decrees from High. I haven't looked it enough to reach a conclusion one way or the other. And I won't, because I have a much bigger problem with it. Whether it ought to be done as a matter of constitutional structure is another question. PDJT followed the constitutional order. He sought an appropriation from Congress. Congress rejected that appropriation. There is nothing in our constitutional order that says when the President thinks Congress is being a bunch of poopyfaces he gets to bypass them. Obama took that approach on some issues -- including immigration, and, unsurprisingly, PDJT is considering the same.

WRT PDJT's threatened efforts, I'll reiterate what I said so that's there's no confusion: It would be a total load of crap and a disgusting example of executive overreach.

And I blame PDJT, not Obama. I assign blame to the actual actor, not to someone who starts the pendulum swinging. The former is clearly definable. The latter is not in our world of political one upsmanship.

Comment

• If you're looking to name a two-term president that issued fewer executive orders than Obama, you'd have to go back to the 19th century. Is there another metric you're considering?

Comment

There are legal semantics and broader constitutional questions. It may very well be that by some letter of some law PDJT can do this. The same could be said for some of Obama's Decrees from High. I haven't looked it enough to reach a conclusion one way or the other. And I won't, because I have a much bigger problem with it. Whether it ought to be done as a matter of constitutional structure is another question. PDJT followed the constitutional order. He sought an appropriation from Congress. Congress rejected that appropriation. There is nothing in our constitutional order that says when the President thinks Congress is being a bunch of poopyfaces he gets to bypass them. Obama took that approach on some issues -- including immigration, and, unsurprisingly, PDJT is considering the same.

WRT PDJT's threatened efforts, I'll reiterate what I said so that's there's no confusion: It would be a total load of crap and a disgusting example of executive overreach.

And I blame PDJT, not Obama. I assign blame to the actual actor, not to someone who starts the pendulum swinging. The former is clearly definable. The latter is not in our world of political one upsmanship.
                    do you think that we have a national crisis? The case can be made that even though the numbers of crossings are down, the situation with families and unaccompanied minors are creating a crisis as we are quickly running out of room to house and process the numbers. Trump is saying "There is a crisis. I'm giving Congress the opportunity to do their fucking jobs to solve this crisis, but if they will not then I have to act" and it is not quite the same as how you put it. I personally prefer that he has given Congress the opportunity, as he had the authority to declare a National Emergency from Day fucking One. No question about that.

You don't need to look into it, 0bama didn't declare a national emergency, where he actually might have some authority to create a protected class of quasi-legal residents (still most likely not), but he didn't do that. he signed an EO giving hundreds of thousands of people legal status, he simply did not have the authority to do it. Had neither the Constitutional authority or the statutory authority to do it. Trump has both.

You have every right to think he is over reaching, but the fact is he has the authority, and is not acting outside of his constitutional purview.

Comment

• do you think that we have a national crisis?
                      I don't. I think any claim of crisis is belied by the fact that PDJT hasn't acted on this for 2 years. So, unless someone can make the case that facts on the ground have went from non-crisis mode to crisis mode in the past few months, I won't be persuaded. In any event, whether I believe we're in crisis or not doesn't alter what I think is the fundamental Constitutional structure of the government. It's ends justifying the means, just as Obama did with DACA and DAPA. In both instances, I care about the means. Your mileage may and does vary.
                      Last edited by iam416; January 11, 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• I'm not a political professional strategist, but it seems like trying to divert funds from actual disasters for this is not very smart politically.

Comment

• Correct. The politics of the issue are far more interesting to me. And I can't fathom how this is a winner.

Comment

• And if I was considering going down this path, you would bet that it would be for more than 5 billion. That figure seems like chump change to the actual cost of what he is talking about.

Comment

I don't. I think any claim of crisis is belied by the fact that PDJT hasn't acted on this for 2 years. So, unless someone can make the case that facts on the ground have went from non-crisis mode to crisis mode in the past few months, I won't be persuaded. In any event, whether I believe we're in crisis or not doesn't alter what I think is the fundamental Constitutional structure of the government. It's ends justifying the means, just as Obama did with DACA and DAPA. In both instances, I care about the means. Your mileage may and does vary.
                              we are no longer catching and releasing into our country, illegals are being housed at the border, and we are over capacity.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                I'm not a political professional strategist, but it seems like trying to divert funds from actual disasters for this is not very smart politically.
                                He's not diverting funds from FEMA lol

Comment

Working...
                                X