No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannibal, China is also the world's largest builder of solar. They are building everything, including coal. That's what happens when you have 1.2bn people and demand for power is growing at a 50% rate this decade. They also cancelled solar subsidies, which may have just been to flood the US market after the solar tariffs. It's very hard to determine an actual direction from China, because the policy is contradictory and implementation probably is too. And verification would surely be difficult in many cases -- you'd have to go on see every site in person to really know, or do so much research the cost would be prohibitive. The IEA believes their coal mix will fall to 40% from 66% by 2040 I think, but, grain of salt, yes. Which is why that carbon tax, if it is what it is, makes a hell of a lot of sense. The US has the world's most desireable market to have access to. Is a huge weapon. The US can force its standards on everyone else with access to the US market as the carrot. From the left there's plenty of cause to be suspicious when oil companies are asking to be taxed on carbon-based output, so I can't say for sure I know what's what here in terms of exactly what that proposal is. I just know that everybody in the energy business seems to want a carbon tax and think it is the most efficient way.

Comment

• Inaccurate claims of non-citizen voting a trend in Republican states.

The recent ILLEGALS ARE VOTING BY THE TENS OF THOUSANDS scare in Texas is proving to be a total nothingburger. As an example, Galveston County says the state told them they might have 830 illegal voters on their hands. That number was part of the Governor's "Huge Announcement" trumpeted with great fanfare. Then the State, after checking for duplicates (they didn't bother doing this BEFORE the press conference!), reduced that number to 92. Days later, the Secretary of State called Galveston and said after checking at least 64 out of those 92 turned out to be citizens after all. Waco's county was told the entire list that they were sent checked out okay.

So after doing the bare minimum to verify identity, the state reduced the number of possible illegal voters by 97%

The episode is the latest in bungled attempts by states to show that huge numbers of noncitizens are registered to vote and have cast ballots in U.S. elections. In North Carolina, legislative leaders said in 2014 that more than 10,000 suspected noncitizens were registered to vote, but state election officials found that number was vastly overstated and determined that only 11 noncitizens voted that fall. In Florida in 2012, a list of 180,000 possible noncitizens ultimately led to the removal 85 voters from the rolls. Similar claims have been made in Colorado, Indiana and Kansas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.dc23a369b8db

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Inaccurate claims of non-citizen voting a trend in Republican states.

The recent ILLEGALS ARE VOTING BY THE TENS OF THOUSANDS scare in Texas is proving to be a total nothingburger. As an example, Galveston County says the state told them they might have 830 illegal voters on their hands. That number was part of the Governor's "Huge Announcement" trumpeted with great fanfare. Then the State, after checking for duplicates (they didn't bother doing this BEFORE the press conference!), reduced that number to 92. Days later, the Secretary of State called Galveston and said after checking at least 64 out of those 92 turned out to be citizens after all. Waco's county was told the entire list that they were sent checked out okay.

So after doing the bare minimum to verify identity, the state reduced the number of possible illegal voters by 97%

The episode is the latest in bungled attempts by states to show that huge numbers of noncitizens are registered to vote and have cast ballots in U.S. elections. In North Carolina, legislative leaders said in 2014 that more than 10,000 suspected noncitizens were registered to vote, but state election officials found that number was vastly overstated and determined that only 11 noncitizens voted that fall. In Florida in 2012, a list of 180,000 possible noncitizens ultimately led to the removal 85 voters from the rolls. Similar claims have been made in Colorado, Indiana and Kansas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.dc23a369b8db
        We can put this all to bed with the simple project of giving voting cards to all eligible voters, requiring only proof of citizenship and proof of age. A birth certificate would suffice. Use biometrics, probably an eye scan, to verify the identity of the voter. None of this is beyond the scope of what credit card companies or internet sellers are doing already. Make it free to get.

But the Dems, including Strange, will not hear of it. They will argue that having only citizens vote is somehow "voter suppression". They will also argue that black and brown people are either too lazy or too stupid to register. Of course, it will all be couched in terms of poverty, injustice and other victimologies. In the end, the extent of fraudulent voting can only be discerned by a rigorous re-registration of eligible voters. One wonders why hardcore lefties like DSL are always bringing the issue up by repeating Dem talking points saying "there is nothing her...move along now...".

Comment

• the only thing DSL knows is DEM talking points

Comment

• dh5nqh5qi1f21.jpg?width=583&auto=webp&s=31aba07293b4bec7f5074173100f6093b07fa73c.jpg

still larger than a Hillary rally

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

We can put this all to bed with the simple project of giving voting cards to all eligible voters, requiring only proof of citizenship and proof of age. A birth certificate would suffice. Use biometrics, probably an eye scan, to verify the identity of the voter. None of this is beyond the scope of what credit card companies or internet sellers are doing already. Make it free to get.

But the Dems, including Strange, will not hear of it. They will argue that having only citizens vote is somehow "voter suppression". They will also argue that black and brown people are either too lazy or too stupid to register. Of course, it will all be couched in terms of poverty, injustice and other victimologies. In the end, the extent of fraudulent voting can only be discerned by a rigorous re-registration of eligible voters. One wonders why hardcore lefties like DSL are always bringing the issue up by repeating Dem talking points saying "there is nothing her...move along now...".
              Maybe you or one of the woefully incompetent politicians you throw your support behind should first come up with legitimate evidence that there's massive widespread voter fraud occurring before demanding that it be more difficult and inconvenient to vote. Funny how you want the easiest access to guns imaginable, but voting should be as difficult and inconvenient as possible in order to "protect" against a threat you can't prove exists. All evidence supports the notion that's it's nowhere near as big a problem as you claim. That imbecile Kobach, who you supported day dafter day after day, utterly failed to prove anything in court and then was rejected by voters in one of the country's most conservative states. What an appalling humiliation for you and like-minded folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                the only thing DSL knows is DEM talking points
                Your Texas "bombshell" has proven to be more incompetent drivel from the land of Bullshit. That's the Trump Party for you. Total incompetence, lies, and bullshit that belongs on Infowars and nowhere else. Illegals are turning the frogs gays, that'll be your next line. Chemtrails, Brain Force pills, those are the people where you put your faith. Just kidding, I know you inwardly know it's bullshit too, but you'll do or say anything if it'll make Trump look good.

Is breitbart reporting that Roger Stone story yet? No? Well shoot..what are they waiting for? It's been almost three days since the story first broke on Pizzagate and "Sandy Hook was faked by Obama" websites.

Thy can't possibly think it's bullshit? Can they?

How's Alex Jones' lawsuit with the Sandy Hook parents going, btw? Are you contributing to his legal defense? Shit, you must have a lot of legal defense fund obligations these days.

Relatives of Sandy Hook victims sued the show’s host, Alex Jones, for suggesting the shooting was a hoax. Now they will gain access to his business plans.

Comment

• I don't know about the Texas stuff.

I do know providing a photo ID is not something that any reasonable person should have an issue with in regard to voting. It's 2019. The vast majority of citizens have a state issued photo ID. Alabama provided free rides to the DMV and free photo ID's for those who didn't have them. In a state of 5 million, there were 11 folks who took advantage of that offer.

Likewise, I am okay with a photo ID to purchase a gun. Hell, I am okay with a background check.

I don't see how either side gets upset about either of those things.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Pictures in a 1979 UNC Yearbook. The Fraternity is Chi Phi.

DywNPx8XgAIrMbX.jpg:small.jpg

DywOuFEXgAIS6yf.jpg:small.jpg
                    oh shit, more Democrats.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                      I don't know about the Texas stuff.

I do know providing a photo ID is not something that any reasonable person should have an issue with in regard to voting. It's 2019. The vast majority of citizens have a state issued photo ID. Alabama provided free rides to the DMV and free photo ID's for those who didn't have them. In a state of 5 million, there were 11 folks who took advantage of that offer.

Likewise, I am okay with a photo ID to purchase a gun. Hell, I am okay with a background check.

I don't see how either side gets upset about either of those things.
                      the democrat's insistence that blacks are incapable of getting photo id is one of the more racist notions they hold.

Comment

• A lot of it is the perception that voter ID is yet another incremental invasion of your life by the gov't. Every examination of the rolls know that voter fraud is not a major issue. Hell, not even a minor issue. Basically a fantasy rallying call for drooling idiots of one particular political persuasion. Photo ID? Not effective. Have you or someone you know ever used a fake ID to buy booze when underage? Do you really want the gov't to have your biometeric information? I sure don't. The less interaction I have with the gov't the better. What saddens me about the direction of this nation is that it has become a surveillance state and one that does not trust it's citizens. I can live with the fact the gov't has my fingerprints from military service. But eye scans, DNA, whatever, no way. I find it ironic that the party that claims to be the party of lesser gov't is the party trying to inflict Orwellian schemes upon the populace.

A line needs to be drawn on gov't intrusion. Since you mention firearms, I too have no objection to background checks but I am firmly against any registration or lists. Do only what is minimally reasonable. Don't do things just because you can, or worse, as a political stunt.
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

She was out in public on Monday at a concert. What a coincidence that the same bullshit conspiracy "Sandy Hook was FAKED" websites that are spreading your Roger Stone news also are spreading "RBG IS DEAD" news.

And only 4 Justices showed up this year. Alito and Thomas almost never go. Neither did Scalia.
                          XFXIpjz.png

Comment

• ExecutiveTime.jpg
                            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Largely agree with you both, AA and Jon

Comment

• I have to confess, I found it absolutely motherfucking preposterous when I had pull out my driver's license, show it the evil poll worker and wait 10 seconds for them to find my name. The fucking cherry on top was that I had to SIGN A PAPER! I felt so violated.

That's why I don't fly anymore. Fuck the government and it's "IDs" -- fuck that shit.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X