No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist behind magnificent painting of Trump is suing the Smithsonian to force them to hang his work in the National Portrait Gallery (which is a great, overlooked museum, btw). Says he will take it to the Supreme Court if necessary (he's already been laughed out of DC District Court).

Trump superfan Julian Raven has been locked in a years-long battle to force the gallery to put up his work. He thinks he might even get a hearing before the Supreme Court.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      I don't get that one. Never watched sitcoms.
      Ah, well shit. I almost went with Shelley Long leaving Cheers but that one's been played out in pop culture recently.

The Ropers were the original landlords on Three's Company until tv execs got the brilliant idea to spin them off into their own show. It was a colossal failure. Don Knotts became the new landlord and Three's Company lasted for like another 5 or 6 years.

And you consider yourself a man of culture? Piffle

Comment

• Listen up, crash, The Smartest Man in the Room has weighed in. And he's making sure the poindexters and the Einsteins over at MIT are hearing him!! #MAGA

Comment

• I see those dumb Trump tweets about airplanes and immediately have to see what Fallows has to say.

Comment

• Yes, Virginia, Trump once ran an airline. He grossly overpaid, it went bankrupt within a year, and was merged out of existence in less than three.

He used the launch ceremony to bash Pan Am's safety record. 3 months later, a Trump Shuttle had a crash landing in Boston when wheels wouldn't deploy.

Also, he originally wanted marble sinks in the airplane bathrooms. LOL

Comment

• AlabamAlum spent the better part of 1907-14 on my old Ivy League thread railing against that "fucking ditch" through that "fucking jungle hellhole" in Panama. Even after it's completion he was still bitching like an old man in a deli. Wasn't until the release of The Birth of a Nation that his spirits lifted and he confidently proclaimed it the greatest film that will ever be made. Little did he know National Treasure would make him the fool once again a mere nine decades later.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Here's a detailed post from Fallows on the two 737 accidents for anyone interested. I always find the investigations into air plane crashes to be interesting.
                No one knows for sure—but here is where experts will be looking for clues.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  AlabamAlum spent the better part of 1907-14 on my old Ivy League thread railing against that "fucking ditch" through that "fucking jungle hellhole" in Panama. Even after it's completion he was still bitching like an old man in a deli. Wasn't until the release of The Birth of a Nation that his spirits lifted and he confidently proclaimed it the greatest film that will ever be made. Little did he know National Treasure would make him the fool once again a mere nine decades later.
                  A mustachioed Auburn grad with a gold tooth and shifty eyes sold AA 50,000 shares in a "Nicaraguan Consolidated Canalization Company" around that time. The decision to plow through Panama made AA most wroth.

Comment

• As James Cameron foretold decades ago, the machines have come for us.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Fallows is great on aviation.

I was on the 737 that crashed in Indonesia two days before that incident. I would like to say that this would impact my behavior next time I book a flight, but I'll probably forget to check. And, still, the statistics show it is overwhelmingly safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        AlabamAlum spent the better part of 1907-14 on my old Ivy League thread railing against that "fucking ditch" through that "fucking jungle hellhole" in Panama. Even after it's completion he was still bitching like an old man in a deli. Wasn't until the release of The Birth of a Nation that his spirits lifted and he confidently proclaimed it the greatest film that will ever be made. Little did he know National Treasure would make him the fool once again a mere nine decades later.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

A mustachioed Auburn grad with a gold tooth and shifty eyes sold AA 50,000 shares in a "Nicaraguan Consolidated Canalization Company" around that time. The decision to plow through Panama made AA most wroth.
                          Nicaraguan cigars are better than Cuban. I would have taken up arms to protect that.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            Here's a detailed post from Fallows on the two 737 accidents for anyone interested. I always find the investigations into air plane crashes to be interesting.
                            This is a really good article. I have over 5200 flight hours in jets that I acquired during my military career. I also have a 737-300 (an early version) type rating. I can speak to Trump's comments which are not entirely bozo. Over the last two decades the transition from analog instruments in the cockpit to what are now called "glass cockpits," along with the automation of a huge number of flying/cockpit tasks previously being 100% manual is nothing short of amazing. There is no question that the process has made commercial air travel a lot safer ..... and it is safe. We tend to over-react when one plane crashes on a day when 10,000 flights took place and nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

The net result of this transition has been the development of pilots that are cockpit resource managers. They know how to fly, have to prove that they do in rigorous training evolutions but the are first and foremost, cockpit resource managers. Even the military is experiencing this. The F35, now fully operational, is so advanced that it can literally fly itself. There is no need for a pilot and truth be told, I know the USMC worried about this reality when it went in whole-hog to the concept that the F35 would be the only fixed wing aircraft and the MV22 Osprey the only rotary wing aircraft the USMC would fly. Marine Aviation is well on it's way to that objective while wondering if they actually need aviators any longer. I just attended the decommissioning ceremony for the EA6B Prowler, the last aircraft in a long line of it's variations that I flew. Even the newest version of it, that I did not fly, have these glass cockpits and pilots fly simulators learning to manage all that goes on inside them on a combat mission.

So, Trump isn't that far off in saying he wants pilots that can actually fly and make split second decisions that don't rely on computers making automated ones. I can relate to that. You do have time in an emergency in military or commercial aircraft on a combat mission or just training missions. The best advice I ever got from an instructor pilot I flew with early in my career was, "when you have an emergency, like when a fire warning light comes on, first thing you do is wind your wrist watch." You take the time to assess the situation. But, the best pilots are instinctive. I've grounded ones that aren't.

In the case of the Ethiopian Airlines crash it's clear to me, if, as they are saying, the aircraft never got above 1200 feet on departure, time was critical. In a severe nose down condition during departure, if that's what this automated stall prevention system was doing, you are about 10 seconds from impact. In an age where pilots are trained to manage the resources in their cockpit, they are more likely to rely on a process than on instincts. It's going to be interesting to see what is learned about this crash. That Boeing is in a heap of trouble over the two 737 Max 8 crashes you can bet we'll probably have some public word about it shortly.
                            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 12, 2019, 11:07 AM.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah. It's difficult to know how to react as a consumer. You know there are 10000 flights daily and you take comfort in the numbers, but when you see regulators start to pick on a particular plane in a growing list of countries, it feels foolish to ignore that.

Comment

• Back in the days where aircraft were far simpler as Trump says, there were more crashes. He says this is for "All this cost for very little gain." That is a capital B Bozo comment. Flights are safer and cheaper, is that a little gain?

Yep it sounds like there may be a design flaw with this newest edition of the 737 or the change in that version with the engines makes it so the pilots may actually have to get actually recertified. Or maybe it was pilot error. Nobody knows right now. He sounds like a nimrod. Fallows has the right approach, we don't know enough yet. Trump certainly shouldn't be weighing in on it.

Planes will crash, planes will get more complicated to keep them safer. Count on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X