No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This article from The Atlantic directly takes issue with your opinion on airline deregulation: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/

Prices have fallen drastically as competition increased. Duh. And what you're seeing now is the airlines managing price competition by going ala carte instead of charging the entire flight. Previously "free" amenities -- lol, amenities included in the price of ever ticket -- are now sold individually.

I can't speak about cable companies, though I can say the quality of television has sky-rocketed since the 1980s. I'd assume prices have gone up because the number of channels has gone up (carriage rates, etc). It's also pretty clear that cable/satellite companies are going to start to feel the squeeze with ala carte.

As for the right to collectively bargain, it's far from clear that it's "necessary" for any economy. It's nice to have that option, I suppose, but there's certainly an argument to be made against collective bargaining in the context of a global economy. There's also the obvious argument against CB for public employees -- as made by FDR.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Interesting factoid from The Atlantic article:

-- In 1974, it was illegal for an airline to charge less than $1,442 in inflation-adjusted dollars for a flight between New York City and Los Angeles. On Kayak, just now, I found one for $278.

Comment

• That's selective data. I'm looking at my travel history. In 2001, I took a flight from Flint (thru Detroit) to Seattle on Northwest and it cost $512. Last January, I took a flight from Flint (thru Minny) to Seattle on Delta and it cost $1003. In 2001, I had more leg room, an in-flight meal, and no one sitting in the center seat. This year, no room, no food, and everyone packed into the cabin like a boxcar heading to Auschwitz. All for twice the price. Selective data.

I subscribe to the print edition of The Atlantic. I'll read it and respond. I've been traveling for business since 1987 and I can say from first hand experience its never been worse than it is today. Over the years, I've just learned to cope better.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Jon is your company publicly traded?

Comment

• SW is more expensive today than it was a few years ago. In fact, I believe prices have risen the last 2 yrs. Yes, you can still find deals. But when most of my travel is booked only 2-3 weeks in advance, I've noticed the change. You also get less today as noted by Jon. The addition of Wifi has been great. But service has declined.
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• That's selective data
              No, it's not. Your comparison is selective.

Airlines also sell seats about 15-20 differently price points. Obviously.

Prices would have to go up massively to match pre-deregulation prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                Jon is your company publicly traded?
                I work for a joint venture that is owned by 2 publically traded companies. I get the best and worst of both worlds - the upside is one company cannot arbitrarily impose something without consent of the other and the downside is one company cannot do something without the consent of the other. Toss in a culture clash (one company American, one company German) and it can be a wild ride. But also a fun one.
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  No, it's not. Your comparison is selective......Prices would have to go up massively to match pre-deregulation prices.

Yes, my example was selective. But so is the authors'. We're even.

My observation is that over the last 30 years, quality of air travel has plummeted and pricing has skyrocketed. I'm not advocating the complete re-regulation of the airline industry, but they need to be made to behave responsibly since they won't do it on their own.

Comment

• The author's data is selective only insofar as he picked a date -- deregulation. Otherwise, no.

Your observation is not consistent, at all, with the macro data re pricing which shows nearly a 50% drop in price (inflation-adjusted).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                      Regulation is a necessary evil, but needs to be selectively applied.

Deregulation tends to be a license to rape at will. Just look at the cable tv and airline industries.

I'm old enough to remember when cable first came on the scene. The marketing pitch was "Since you'll pay a monthly fee, you will never see another commercial. Not just movies, but all television shows as well." Tell me how that worked out. 200 channels showing the same 30 shows, intermittant service, piss poor customer service, monopolized coverage, skyhigh prices. Oh, and commercials every 30 seconds.
                      LOL...I remember the "no commercials" rumors too. IDK if it was ever true, but if it was, it was pure bait. The bolded part though, is where the damage was done.

In the interest of getting cable access to as many customers as quickly as possible, cable monopolies were authorized by the FCC. Maybe a questionable decision in the eyes of some, but regardless, the bigger problem is that its taken 40 years to deregulate and reopen markets to honest, equal competition in lieu of satellite and phone lines, and in many places its STILL hasn't happened. We see the good and the bad aspects of government intervention at play.

Here in KC it has been deregulated...and this is where I roll out my tired Google Fiber tripe once again, but I do it because its poignant. GF is laying an AL v Michigan State type beatdown on Time Warner here, earning up to 80% of customers in areas of direct competition. They literally cannot get that orange fiber-op rolled out and buried fast enough to meet demand. And TW? The Down/Up speeds I was paying $55.00/mo for 2 years ago are now $15.00. Almost overnight. In parts of town where there is no GF yet? Still $50.00. maybe more now, IDK.

Like Clapton says...its in the way that you use it when it comes to regulation and deregulation.

Comment

• I think a full analysis factors in a whole lot of things. Planes are much different beasts now then back then. Especially fuel efficiency. They can practically be flown by blowup autopilots like in Airplane these days, and the actual pilots get paid marginally more. And of course there are fuel-efficiency gains also to be had by not having any food on board anymore...

Comment

• earning up to 80% of customers in areas of direct competition.

Sounds like you're talking about the next decade's Time-Warner, then. LOL at the Clapton reference. Ain't nobody's regulated till somebody's deregulated...

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            earning up to 80% of customers in areas of direct competition.

Sounds like you're talking about the next decade's Time-Warner, then.
                            Not at all; GF will always have to earn its customers, in lieu of being "landed" from on-high as TW was, and having its title protected.

There is already a second Fiber-Op company in town.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                              I work for a joint venture that is owned by 2 publically traded companies. I get the best and worst of both worlds - the upside is one company cannot arbitrarily impose something without consent of the other and the downside is one company cannot do something without the consent of the other. Toss in a culture clash (one company American, one company German) and it can be a wild ride. But also a fun one.
                              To what, then, do you attribute the sustainable care and feeding of this particular golden goose?

Comment

• Numbers to give the Hills supporters pause. Quinnipiac isn't always the best pollster though, so taken with a grain of salt.

1) Hillary behind Trump in Ohio. Winning by a hair in Florida and PA

2) Sanders still polls better than her everywhere matched up against Trump
                                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; May 10, 2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X