No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok .. I'm backing away from the stump now ...
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Police: Musician Bob Welch kills self

By Alan Duke, CNN
      updated 7:50 PM EDT, Thu June 7, 2012

Bob Welch played guitar with Fleetwood Mac starting from 1971 to 1974.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
      • NEW: Welch's death is "devastating" and "so,so sad," Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks says
      • Welch's wife found his body in their Nashville home Thursday afternoon, police say
      • "All indications are that it was a suicide," a police spokesman says
      • Welch played guitar with Fleetwood Mac from 1971 until late 1974

(CNN) -- Bob Welch, a guitarist who played with Fleetwood Mac before launching a solo career, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his chest, Nashville, Tennessee, police said Thursday. He was 66.
      Welch's wife found his body in their Nashville home about 12:15 p.m., Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron said.
      "All indications are that it was a suicide," Aaron said. A suicide note was found, he said.
      Welch played guitar with Fleetwood Mac starting in 1971. He left the group in late 1974, just before Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the group.
      Nicks said in a statement that Welch's death was "devastating."
      "I had many great times with him after Lindsey and I joined Fleetwood Mac," singer Nicks said. "He was an amazing guitar player -- he was funny, sweet -- and he was smart.
      "I am so very sorry for his family and for the family of Fleetwood Mac -- so,so sad," Nicks said.
      Welch's biggest hits, "Sentimental Lady" and "Ebony Eyes" came from his debut solo album "French Kiss," released in November 1977.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• RIP. 'Bare Trees' is an underrated album, IMO

Comment

• Dude had a very unique voice.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• From the Detroit Free Press:

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh stood in the middle of the football field Saturday morning at Dearborn High. He was surrounded by about 250 children and a small army of coaches ready to teach them fundamentals.

But Suh wasn’t worried about the kids becoming better football players at his second annual football camp. He was more interested in the youngsters becoming better people.

“Everybody obviously knows we want to teach them football and little nuances they can learn growing up,” said Suh, who gave out scholarships to about 25% of the campers. “But the biggest thing is the life skills, understanding that the biggest part of this is learning how to be a young woman or a young man and the dedication and hard work and competing.

“Just things that transfer to their normal lives, like when they’ve got to grow up and get into high school and college.”

Suh was joined by teammates Cliff Avril and Lawrence Jackson and Hall of Famer Charlie Sanders. Former Nebraska stars Cody Glenn and Tommie Frazier also showed up to support their fellow Cornhusker.

“One of the best quarterbacks to play at Nebraska,” Suh said over the public address system as he introduced Frazier, who led the Huskers to national titles in 1994 and ’95. “I would have loved to have hit him.”

Of course, there was no hitting among the boys and girls ages 7 to 14. Instead, they wore shorts and T-shirts and ran through drills with coaches while getting encouragement.

“Of course we’ve got enough coaches out here,” Frazier said, “but it’s always good for another former athlete to go out there, play with them, talk about hard work and staying in school. That’s the best education I can give them.”

Avril said the fundamentals didn’t apply only to football. “Like right now,” he said, “they’re learning how to warm up and stretch because that’s important in any sport.”

Terri Markray, 47, of West Bloomfield looked out over the field and saw her son Tyler, 12, doing just that. They liked last year’s camp so much, they decided to return.

“We’ve gone to a lot of camps, but it was the best-run camp that we’ve ever been to,” Markray said. “(Suh) was totally involved from beginning to end. He interacted with the kids, he coached the kids, he got out there and did the drills with the kids. It was wonderful.”

Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• David Stern, Jim Rome interview on lottery turns nasty

David Stern is on his “ain’t the NBA swell” media tour, having a press conference before Game 1 in Oklahoma City and doing a few other select media outlets.

That included the Jim Rome show, the very popular, syndicated radio show with the man who parlayed that into an ESPN and now CBS television show.

As he has throughout his last couple public media tours, Stern was asked about the NBA draft lottery and the impression by some — including some in NBA front offices — that it is fixed. Stern pushed back. Here is a transcript.

Rome: Was the fix in for the lottery?

Stern You know, I have two answers for that. I’ll give you the easy one — no. And a statement: Shame on you for asking.

Rome: I understand why you would say that to me, and I wanted to preface it by saying it respectfully, but I think it’s my job to ask because I think people wonder.

Stern: No, it’s ridiculous, but that’s okay.

Rome: I know you think it’s ridiculous but I don’t think the question is ridiculous because I know people think that. I think it’s my job to ask that.

Stern: Have you stopped beating your wife yet? [Editor’s note: This is a legal turn of phrase referring to people who pose an unfair line of questioning without facts in evidence, and remember that Stern is a lawyer. Basically, he’s not accusing Rome of actual abuse, he’s questioning he question in an aggressive manor.]

Rome: (Pause) I don’t know if that’s fair.

Stern: Why is that?

Rome: Because I think… I know you read your emails and I’m sure you follow things virally and on twitter — people really do think it. Whether it’s fair or not. You don’t think the question is fair to ask it if your fans believe it?

Stern: People think it because people like you ask silly questions. I expect it to be written about and all. Actually, I commented last night at my presser that there was one guy, who I won’t dignify by naming, who said “I have no reason to know anything, and I don’t know anything, but I tell you I believe it’s fixed.” Okay, that’s good. Why is that? Because if this team won it. But if that team won it it would have been fixed also. And if that team won it it would have been fixed also. And if every team was invited to have a representative there, and if four members of the media were invited to be there, and if Ernst & Young certified it, you still think? “Yes.”

Rome: I think two things and I want your response. First, I don’t think (it was rigged). I’m not covering myself, I don’t think so. But by asking the question it would not suggest that I think so. But the one thing I would say is the league does own the team (New Orleans). Does it not?

Stern: Yes.

Rome: Does that not make the question fair?

Stern: I don’t think so. Number one we sold it, we’re going to close this week. We have already established our price. I think if it had gone to Michael Jordan, which was the next team up in terms of a high percentage, they would have said David is taking care of his friend Michael. And if it had gone to Brooklyn, which is going into Barclay Center, it would have been fair to speculate, I suppose, that we wanted to take Brooklyn off of the mat. So there was no winning…. But that’s not a question I’ve been asked before by a respectable journalist.

It got worse. Stern goes on to accuse Rome of using “cheap” questions to further his career, something Rome took serious offense to as it questioned his integrity. They ended the conversation, hanging up on pretty tense terms not long after.

Post Extras: * * *
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• To be fair, Jim Rome is a hemorrhoid from a diseased yak.

And David Stern never worked an honest days work in his life.

Other than that, great interview.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Stern should have dared him to call him Chrissy

BTW, can you really call Rome's gig journalism?
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• David Stern, Jim Rome battle on radio

Updated: June 13, 2012, 9:01 PM ET
                    ESPN.com news services

NBA commissioner David Stern got into a heated exchange with Jim Rome Wednesday when the radio host asked him if the Hornets winning the draft lottery was fixed.
                    "I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?" asked Rome, who hosts a daily show on CBS Sports Network.
                    "I have two answers for that," Stern said. "The simple easy one, no; the second, a statement, shame on you for asking."
                    Rome went on to say that he thought it was his job to ask because people wonder.
                    "No, it's ridiculous, but that's OK," Stern said.
                    Rome, who used to host the show "Jim Rome Is Burning" on ESPN, said he didn't think the question was ridiculous.
                    Stern responded: "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"
                    Since Rome has no history of spousal abuse, it appears that the commissioner was using a traditional loaded question as a tool to make his point -- that the question itself, in this case about the lottery, presumes guilt.
                    Rome responded: "I don't think that's fair."
                    After a little more back-and-forth, Rome said he hoped Stern wouldn't hold the question against him.
                    "I wouldn't hold it against you," Stern said. "You and I have been in more contentious talks than that. But it's good copy. You do these things for cheap thrills."
                    Rome took offense to that statement, and Stern changed his characterization.
                    "Cheap trick," he said. "You've been successful in making a career of it, and I keep coming on."
                    That prompted a flurry of exchanges:
                    Rome: "Making a career of it? Making a career of what? What? Cheap thrills?"
                    Stern: "Now you're getting mad. You're taking on the world and now Jim Rome is pouting."
                    Rome: "I'm not pouting, I'm taking offense."
                    Stern: "You want to hang up on me?"
                    Rome: "No, I'm seriously running out of time."
                    Stern: "Listen, I gotta go call somebody important like Stephen A. Smith back. He's next."
                    Rome: "OK, you go make that call and I'll go talk to somebody else too I guess. Have a nice day. I did not hang up on him, we are officially out of time."

Comment

• Stern came across as being a petty piece of shit. Throwing out 7th grade insults and trying to make fun of Rome's career. I'd rather be Jim Rome than Stern. Fuck him.

Comment

• That is freaking hilarious. I'm a gonna see if I can get the video on YouTube...gotta see this...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Just search for asshole squared.

Comment

• Stern is a petty bully, and it shows. On a regular basis. I look forward to the post-Stern era. He's like Brandon but without the fun side.

Comment

• I'm no Rome fan, but his job is to run a radio talk show- he's as much of an entertainer and conduit for the fans as he is a sports journalist. Stern's job is to run a fair league. It's a legit question and pretty hilarious. I hope Bettman or Selig get similar treatments soon.

Comment

• Rome interviewing Stern is like Jimmy Hoffa interviewing Henry Hill.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X