No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then I'd profile right wing religious nuts... Then people who hate blacks... Then people who hate white people... Then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Jeff said:
      The natural response to the attacks we are seeing is to cower, not withstanding the two limited examples of Geezer provided.
      I just don't agree. I suspect many of us on this forum have had occasion to use firearms to defend ourselves or others. We just don't report it.

When I was first married, we got a call from a neighbor woman who was hyperventilating and claiming someone was trying to get into her house. It was 3:00 am. Coward that I am, I tried to think of some other guy to go with me, but it was the night before opening day of deer season, and no one was around. I grabbed my shotgun and went behind the woman's house. Coming around the corner, I was face-to-face with a guy, and I stuck the barrel about 4 inches from his nose and said something REALLY loud (don't remember what). I got him to lay on his stomach until the cops arrived. Other than the guy losing control of his bowels, there was no harm done, although when the police arrived (and the guy was down) I had about 6 pistols aimed at me telling me to put down my gun and step away. This was long before I had anything to do with the FBI.

I'll bet most of us have had some similar experience. To say that I mentioned two isolated cases is just not accurate. I mentioned two cases that prove my point, that Americans are psychologically equipped to defend themselves. At the very least, putting a thought of retaliation in a shooter's mind would do no harm.

So far, the best approach I've heard is the idea of having a no-buy list. Jon includes things that happen on the internet. Mateen went to SA twice and talked about killing infidels enough to his co-workers that one guy quit the job.
      Last edited by Da Geezer; June 13, 2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• There's been nothing passed since Sandy Hook. No significant gun legislation (off the top of my head) since the Brady Bill in the early 90's. If massacring a room full of 8-year-olds isn't enough to push the public to accept even modest new restrictions on assault rifle ownership, then probably nothing will. Or to be more precise, weaken the influence the NRA and gun manufacturers have in Congress.

Comment

• RE: Muslims on gays. It's certainly true that almost all if not all the countries that punish homosexuality with death are dominated by Muslims. That said, Muslims in the US are a different story and are NOT the religious group least accepting of gays

Overall, more Americans now identify as politically liberal than did so when the Religious Landscape Study was first conducted, while fewer U.S. adults

A year or two ago I believe Uganda was considering passing a law making homosexuality punishable with death until they backed down in the face of sanctions from the US and pretty much all Europe. Christian missionaries from the United States were one of the groups most heavily lobbying them to pass the law.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

So is the gun a threat or the individual(s) or groups and the violence they want to conduct?

Last edited by Coop; June 13, 2016, 07:30 PM.
            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• If someone has a CPL and has purchased a gun legally are they a threat or rather those whom will use whatever methods to kill?

Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• So, in this country only mormons and jehovah witnesses are less accepting of gays than Muslims. And christians as a whole are more accepting in this country.

You can defend and equivocate that shit all you want DSL. My guess is you're more offended by a christian opposed to gay marriage than Muslim states executing sodimites.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I read something on another site today that I found interesting and ironic at the same time.

Terrorists don't need guns to carry out their acts.

The 911 attackers used box cutters and airplanes.

Timothy McVeigh used a Ryder truck and fertilizer.

Taking away guns will not stop a single terrorist. Terrorists will not line up outside the local police station to turn in their weapons, just because Hillary signed a law that says they have to do it.

The problem and solution are another topic.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    So, in this country only mormons and jehovah witnesses are less accepting of gays than Muslims. And christians as a whole are more accepting in this country.

You can defend and equivocate that shit all you want DSL. My guess is you're more offended by a christian opposed to gay marriage than Muslim states executing sodimites.
                    You'd guess wrong, counselor. Just presenting a fuller picture before we leap into Trumpian calls for immigration bans and 24-hour Muslim surveillance.

(Also Christians on the whole, but evangelicals/born-agains accept gays even less than Muslims too)

Comment

• I guess it depends on the person. No doubt about it, people in some places are fucking terrible. Islam is a very good way to control the thoughts of millions. Definitely better than the other major religions, or, at least, the combination of the places and it, where it reigns. But as for how much you can be offended by this, for me personally it depends on the group and the opportunity they had to know better. Did they get a chance to get an actual education, or was ``school'' where they grew up a vehicle for injecting various types of dogma? Have they ever had the chance to look the actual real facts in the face and ignore them? IMO that stuff matters.

Comment

• Also Christians on the whole, but evangelicals/born-agains accept gays even less than Muslims too
                        Have you ever attended an evangelical Christian church?

And for clarity, maybe you should describe a bit more what YOU consider a "evangelical born-again Christian church" to be.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          Have you ever attended an evangelical Christian church?

And for clarity, maybe you should describe a bit more what YOU consider a "evangelical born-again Christian church" to be.
                          I'm citing a poll. I assume the poll asked people if they would classify themselves as evangelical. More people who self-described as such look dimly on gays than Muslims.

I have not attended an 'evangelical' church nor am I sure why that matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                            I read something on another site today that I found interesting and ironic at the same time.

Terrorists don't need guns to carry out their acts.

The 911 attackers used box cutters and airplanes.

Timothy McVeigh used a Ryder truck and fertilizer.

Taking away guns will not stop a single terrorist. Terrorists will not line up outside the local police station to turn in their weapons, just because Hillary signed a law that says they have to do it.

The problem and solution are another topic.
                            For the millionth time. No one wants to take guns away. Make them harder to get. Make semi automatic or those close to it illegal. Don't let people on the Do Not Fly List buy guns. That would be a step. It's not just one thing.

Comment

• With the element of surprise, a law abiding US Patriot with a concealed weapon permit and basic training would have made all the difference in the world. Small calibre, strategically placed with confidence, Arab, Muslim, Terrorist coward....game over, he never would have known what hit him.
                              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• New reports suggesting that Mateen was a regular at Pulse. One customer told the Orlando Sentinel that he'd seen him there at least a dozen times before. There's also reports that he had a profile on a gay dating website.

FORT PIERCE — At least four regular customers at the Orlando gay nightclub where a gunman killed 49 people said Monday that they had seen Omar Mateen there before. “Sometimes he would g…

Comment

Working...
                                X