Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tool for home protection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06...ime-label.html

Target whites..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Well now I'm REALLY against terrorism.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        Any thoughts on how far the market will fall before it stabilizes?
        Driving the market lows is uncertainty. There is nothing wrong with the economies of the countries that the US does regular business with. Slow economic growth and attendant wage stagnation in the global market outside of Asia is already present and that is probably the most hurtful aspect to the masses of Brixit as that is going to be prolonged. Maybe get worse.

The market is going to be volatile over the next 6 months and there's going to be a sharp decline in share prices across the board. How painful it will get is anyone's guess.

The lesson learned from the 2008 Mortgage Crisis and just about every large decline in the markets since markets existed was and still is, stay invested. The worst thing you can do right now is panic sell securities if that's what you're getting at.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
          Driving the market lows is uncertainty. There is nothing wrong with the economies of the countries that the US does regular business with. Slow economic growth and attendant wage stagnation in the global market outside of Asia is already present and that is probably the most hurtful aspect to the masses of Brixit as that is going to be prolonged. Maybe get worse.

The market is going to be volatile over the next 6 months and there's going to be a sharp decline in share prices across the board. How painful it will get is anyone's guess.

The lesson learned from the 2008 Mortgage Crisis and just about every large decline in the markets since markets existed was and still is, stay invested. The worst thing you can do right now is panic sell securities if that's what you're getting at.
          No, I'm not planning on changing anything. The only thing that has me worried is my kid's college funds and at that, I'm not overy concerned.

I wish I had some extra money to spend and take advantage of the drop.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• This is an opportunity, especially if you're in it for the long run. One can't time the market, but you can play the peaks and valleys. Because I'm an old phart nearing retirement, I moved 60% of my 401(k) into a guaranteed return fund the last time the market hit 18k. Yeah paltry return, but but unaffected by the market. My best wild assed guess is the bottom is 16k. Once it gets close, I'll change my paycheck contribution to an index fund and ride it back up. Just look at it as an opportunity.

As the Brits say, "Keep calm and carry on".
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Well now I'm REALLY against terrorism.
              Politically correct terrorism...that?s a new one.

Fortunately I?m Irish, not White. Jokes? on you AQ!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                No, I'm not planning on changing anything. The only thing that has me worried is my kid's college funds and at that, I'm not overy concerned.

I wish I had some extra money to spend and take advantage of the drop.
                Understand. I've been through this three times in my investing life time. The first time I got really nervous but stuck it out. Market doubled in 3y and that's been my experience every other time - if not doubling, still doing really nicely.

There are a lot of investment guys out there offering advice to average guys like us with a little bit saved up that will tell you do this and do that and you'll profit. Nutz. They usually profit on sales commissions and you don't.

Managed funds (those that you pay a fee for balancing based on market conditions and your risk tolerance) have gotten a bad rap. I think these were too costly compared to the likes of Vanguard that in the early to mid 80s were pushing Indexed funds (invest and let them run with very low costs) as the way to go. There's still some sense in indexed funds but the older you get the anticipation of the terrific jump in a particular index producing a nice wealth affect is frequently overbalanced on the down side by volatility and steep declines in the value of your equities.

In the Global economy where there is so much play between global markets and the attendant volatility that can be problematic short term and sometimes medium term, I've found great comfort in actively managed funds. Like Jon, I'm in semi retirement and will bail completely at the end of 2017 when I turn 70. Over the last 8-10 years I bought an annuity and pushed some of my IRA investment into rental real estate.

There was a time not too long ago where someone told me doing something like that was utterly stupid. We'll I'm making rental money, watching the property I bought increase in value, getting nice dividends from conservative stocks, keeping ahead of inflation on some growth equities and watching my annuity grow at a higher rate than most bonds or savings accounts until I start pulling money out of it in the years to come. Steady, diversified and balanced investing.

I'm pretty happy with all of that, glad to pay someone to manage it for me and feel pretty much lucky I didn't take some of the quick money, bad advice I was given in my mid 40s to early 50s.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 28, 2016, 07:58 AM.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So Geezer you're saying that repatriating that income allows the corporation to, legally, display a loss that further reduced declared profits? If I follow your logic, anything paid would be offset at home anyways?
                  I don't know exactly how that would work, and I suspect it may vary with individual corporations. Corporations that do cash accounting would have none of these problems.

From the point of view of a corporation, it owes both the foreign tax and the US tax but it gets a credit for paying the foreign tax, That is what it owes. What it pays is the foreign tax only, and it still owes the US tax when repatriated.

I was concentrating on the government's point of view. For budgetary matters, the year when the tax accrues is when it is recognized as income to the US. This makes any deficits appear smaller (which cynics like us realize is why it is done this way). This creates the problem I dealt with if an amnesty plan ever goes into effect. The point is that accrual accounting allows the entity preparing the balance sheet (the US government in this case) to treat income (or payments) as having happened when the cash never changed hands. Cash accounting is far more transparent.

As for corporations getting a deduction for the foreign taxes paid, in general, you get a tax credit or a deduction but not both. We are talking a credit here. But if the corporation properly treats the taxes owed, I believe they would report lower income in the year the money is earned (and income in the year of an amnesty!).

Reminds me of a professor who told a story of a bunch of accountants being interviewed for the same position. The first three applicants came out of the interview perplexed, and upon comparing notes, found they had been asked the same single question " How much is 2 + 2 ?" Right at that time the fourth guy came out with a huge smile on his face and announced he had gotten the job. The first three asked, " well, did they ask you how much 2 + 2 is?". Yup, answered the fourth, and I told them "whatever you want it to be."

Comment

• This is a link to an opinion piece written by presumed conservative party leader and next Prime Minister of GB, Boris Johnson, that doesn't say much and in the process diminishes the apparent leadership capabilities of this guy. The best part of the link though is found as you scroll down the page to Key Questions for Scotland and EU Referendum; Sixty Years of Strained Relations. ...... some perspective there on the history of the EU.

Comment

• Ali, Gordie Howe, Pat Summitt, and Buddy Ryan all gone in the month of June...damn

Comment

• And Kimbo Slice. Don't forget about Kimbo Slice.

Comment

• I didn't know Buddy Ryan died.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Died today at age 82

Comment

• Nice little piece detailing the borderline stunning effort to portray pro-Brexit voters as xenophobic idiots: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...verage-bregret

And, for good measure, why the UK is considerably better off w/ Brexit: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-united-states
                              Last edited by iam416; June 28, 2016, 11:21 AM.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Nice little piece detailing the borderline stunning effort to portray pro-Brexit voters as xenophobic idiots: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...verage-bregret
                                Fair piece. That Chris Hayes guy on MSNBC (a leftist to be sure) coined this a battle between corporate finance capitalism and ethno-nationalist backlash. You might not agree with that characterization. British banks are certainly very, very unhappy.

But your crusade for sovereignty over prosperity, sir, makes you sound like William Wallace. Wear that tartan with pride ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X