No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan, I am certain there are probably many things in your life that have eluded you.

You may want to add firearms, personal protection and common sense to your list.

What, now 44 out 50 State Legislatures have seen the wisdom in allowing their citizens the right to carry concealed weapons to protect themselves and their families?

That's 13 million permits now and growing, but perhaps it's probably a good thing your remain blatantly ignorant of the topic and unarmed.

In your particular instance, America may actually be safer.
    "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• A big part of the root problem is the broken family. Single parent families with unsupervised children is fertile ground for societal problems. A few cynical bad police officers destroys the trust and support all the rest deserve. The collapse of friendly, supportive neighborhoods does nothing to stem hate and discouragement. Economic disparity flames the passion.

My suggestion to color the police to those who they police would force people to look at the actual problems that cause our society's issues. This realization is there, but it doesn't serve those with an agenda. Has Black Lives Matter taken to the streets to protest a black officer shooting a non-black evil doer? Of course not. Doesn't fit the wheelhouse.
      I agree in part Jon. The immutable true is that the Media, Blacks and so-called Black Community Leaders are fixated on 1% of less than 1% of all Black Murderers in the US.

The truth is Black-on-Black violence is off the charts. A black teen in Chicago dies every 14 hours. Where is the outrage, where is the mass concern? Where are the marches?

Why are blacks not taking ownership and addressing the real problem? Because the crisis can't be exploited financially, there's no dollar in suing poor people.

The Police are thoroughly investigated, when there is an occasional problem, those officers are charged. It's not perfect but the system works.

Comment

• It seems to me that racism in this country has escalated since we've had a black president. Just an impression.

Another perhaps related phenomenon is the spike in citizen militia movements during Democratic administrations. It certainly rose during the Clinton years and seemed to subside after Bush entered office.

Comment

• I don't know Doc, maybe the speed of information flow coupled with extreme polarization and no stop-check for accuracy makes it seem like racism has escalated. I hope it isn't escalating. It seems like today the most important thing is to be Youtube star, or Twitter gasbag. Dull, accurate and boring doesn't stand a chance against froth mouthed incitment.

Thats an interesting point about the spike in militias. If militias are considered to be on par with single issue activism, then perhaps we're seeing spikes that are wearing different faces, operating in cycles. I need to think on that one, its something I've not considered.

OP, I was not going to raise the black on black issue. I think that is a whole 'nother conversation. That comes into play better when discussing economic opportunity and our urban infrastructural decay. I don't see that as a racial bias. If the neighborhood is 99.9% orange, then you'll see alot of orange on orange crime. Those are simply crimes of opportunity, not direct racial bias.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Yeah OP all them armed citizens has made this country so much safer (well if you subtract all the kids shot by firearms that adults had to protect them from the hoards of people shooting up the nation.) I'm still looking for that "armed citizen" who bravely stopped a mass killer, saving the lives of ordinary white boys.

Comment

• "Barb Moles shot and killed a home intruder who beat her husband with a crowbar and stabbed him with a knife."

As I've said all along, it happens nearly every day, common citizens, defending their homes, loves ones and property.

Even an 80-year old Grandmother, hell Stan if you ever grow a pair you mighty consider it.
              Last edited by Prime2; July 11, 2016, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Uh hey OP I said where can you point out a situation where an ordinary citizen killed a mass killer saving some white boy's ass? More people are killed by their own gun than kill an intruder or attacker. better yet, how many times have you come to the aid of strangers blowing away some mass killer (or single killer for that matter)?

Comment

• I have said it all along and have been very clear, it is for personal self-defense only, the statutes are perfectly clear.

I made one statement that if any of the guys in my Gun Club that have trained tactical, pistol, rifle & rifle would have stood a very good chance of killing the lone gunman in the Orlando Club, probably saving lives.

Whatever has followed are some twisted and morphed scenarios that you've cooked up that I certainly have no interest in proving.

The truth is there are 1000's of "good guys & gals with guns" even if Obama continues to mock them.

At the time of the Orlando, Islamic Terrorist attack, I used the term "American Patriot", you know, citizens that still love this country?
                  Last edited by Prime2; July 11, 2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for the thoughtful post, Jon. I can't disagree with anything you're saying.

The problem is that societal changes occur at glacial speeds while the implications of inappropriate or criminal acts by both sides, in this case by the police and by an angry AA community, can be devastating. So, I don't know if we can go all academic on this issue.

My view is that there needs to be an immediate and concerted effort to educate communities about the role of the police that protect them - call it community outreach if you like. My perception is that police tend to circle the wagons, become insular when they are faced with criticism. The press fuels hatred of the police when there is the perception that police have acted wrongly. I am aware there are programs that do just this. They need to be amplified and baring interest from the press, more concerned about titalating news, local governments need to respond to inaccurate or misleading statements That are made and provide some degree of balance. I'm not sure why this doesn't happen more often. Perhaps concern about compromising a prosecution or an administrative review of an involved officer. That is really too bad and is more harmful to the current circumstances than it it is in any way protective of the people directly involved in a controversial event.

The public is not going to avoid hearing the narrative provided by agenda driven entities but local governments who employ the police that are protecting communities need to take a much more active role in making sure the policed community understands what happened and why.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Tim Duncan is retiring from the Spurs.
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• He should wait and see if the Warriors have a roster spot for him.

Comment

• Jon said:
                          His mother guided him away from what could have been a life that have been jaded by race. Credit the strong woman in his young life. I trusted my children in his care to give you an idea of how much I trust and respect the man. He credits his personality to a strong family upbringing.
                          Jon: Is your friend religious?

Comment

• Multiple people shot including a police officer at the Berrien County Courthouse in St. Joseph,Mi. at 2:30 this afternoon. That is where I practice law for 5 years and where my father was a judge. No other details presently available.

Comment

• Now reporting three fatalities including two courthouse employees.

Comment

• Oh no! I love St . Joseph.

Comment

Working...
                                X