No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen High School, located in Allen, Texas, unveiled its $59.6 million dollar, 18,000 seat project that was funded from a $119 million bond package approved by voters in 2009. The stadium features a sunken-bowl design, video scoreboard, multi-level press box, weight room, wrestling room, and an indoor golf facility. It is on schedule for completion and will officially open Aug. 31 when Allen hosts the defending 5A State Champions, Southlake Carroll.

Hs football stadium in texas
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Liney, hows the ice cream shop going. I've been in Michigan all summer and just returned to NC. Sorry I didn't get the chance to make it over to Chesaning, I really wanted to but stayed too busy helping grandpa and fishing.

Comment

• A real friend would make time.

hello
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Mallory View Post
          Liney, hows the ice cream shop going. I've been in Michigan all summer and just returned to NC. Sorry I didn't get the chance to make it over to Chesaning, I really wanted to but stayed too busy helping grandpa and fishing.
          Thats OK---I ate your share when I stopped up there at Lineys a couple weeks ago. Thought it was curious, though, that Liney already had it ready, until I noticed he was a bit sad as he said "you might as well eat Chuck's, too", as he kept glancing out towards the entrance drive as if to hope someone in particular might show up before closing time. I guess I know now who he was referring to, especially when he muttered something about "fishing buddy" under his breath...
          Last edited by Rob F; August 9, 2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Chuck - Its been an up and down year. Started off pretty well, but now its tailing off. We're going to shut down the day after Labor Day. I'm losing most of my help then, with my college gals going back to school, and my other two "married with children ladies" needing their evenings off.

So, it will be a wrap on this season, and we'll see how things shape up for next season.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Liney-

hi

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post

I wonder if that school even bothered saving money for books.

Comment

• Man I wish I would of taken the time now....those college girls would of been nice. The ice cream too.

Comment

• A question for the legal beagles here. I was in Northern Kentucky on business and had the opportunity to check out the Pompeii exhibition at a museum in Cincy recently. I saw a near violent confrontation between museum staff and a person who took some pictures with a cell phone. The staff demanded the cellphone in order to delete the pix and further demand the person buy the exhibition book as recompense. PHOTOGRAPHY IST STRICTLY VERBOTEN!!!

Now I collect old books (among other things). I love illuminated manuscripts. I understand where flash photography is forbidden in places like the Louvre, the British Museum and the British Library because the repeated intense light of flash photography can damage or fade many century old illustrations.

But statues, coins, and jewelry? I gladly pay my $20 to frolick among the artifacts, but can they (the museum) really ban you from taking photos? Sure, setting up a tripod with professional equipment in order to get high grade sellable pix could reasonably be prohibited. But tourists taking pix? Can they really do anything other than ask you to leave? I ask this question concerning American law.

I was once scolded for taking a picture of the British crown jewels in the Tower of London, the concern was images of the security measures, not the jewels themselves. Once they saw I was a stupid American tourist, the angst level went down. Matter of fact, I was allowed to take a couple of flashless shots of the Swords of State by the Beefeater guards when they were looking (wink wink) the other way. They don't get many people more interested in the history/archeology than the monetary value of the displays. I bought the books (and the t-shirt) anyway.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• In some places there may be an extra charge for the right to take pix. And perhaps there's a diff in the laws for public-sector museums and those privately owned?

Comment

• I don't know of any law or legal principle that would prohibit a ban on photography. Hack is basically right that a private museum would have more right to restrict photographs as it would not be subject to a potential first amendment argument as first amendment rights are only protected against federal or state action.

Comment

• here's a policy at indy's museum
                          you would be caught by the last one

General Visitors

• Photography must be conducted without disruption to Museum operations or limitation to the accessibility of exhibitions, entrances/exits, doorways, and high traffic areas.
                          • To help us preserve the outdoor sculptures, entering, climbing, or standing on any water features or fountains is prohibited; do not climb, lean or sit on any artworks. Do not place props or equipment on the sculptures.
                          • Flash photography, tripods, and other photographic equipment are not permitted in the galleries or Oldfields–Lilly House.
                          • Photography is permitted for private, noncommercial use only. Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner.
                          • Photography is not permitted of temporary exhibitions, works of art within the Efroymson Family Entrance Pavilion or the fourth floor contemporary art galleries, within Miller House, or borrowed works of art.
                          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Searching around, variations of this

Works on loan to the Museum or in exhibitions in the Featured Exhibition galleries may not be photographed.

are widespread
                            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Most art museums I have been in have restrictions on photography. It is usually okay to photograph the older stuff (with no flash), but anything with an existing copyright is a no-no.

And yeah, if something is a special exhibit that's separate admission from the main museum, photographs are almost always off-limits

Comment

• "...Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia...King Tut..."
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X