No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Cheney, Geezer, with a wrinkle: he was his own top customer. Sold access to himself instead of to others. Luckiest man in politics.

I think with the Clintons you have to figure in that the exceptional attempt to expose it. I doubt there's a modern politician/political couple that have faced the aggressive scrutiny they have, much of it a fishing expedition. Take Obama as an example. Not a single whiff of any of this. Yet providing access is what politics is all about. I think the reality is that Obama's not as clean as his stellar record, and Hillary's not as exceptional as the coverage makes her seem.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm a corruption zealot. As you know, I don't believe you can have any good policy outcomes in a bad execution environment. But I'm also a realist. All pols belong on a spectrum from sleazy Cheney to less-sleazy Obama. It's just a fact of life.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
      Actually, I don't see it as a real bad idea. It would be better than seeing those neighborhoods continue to decay. Hopefully, the people who would be living there would fix up the properties and make them habitable again.

The biggest problem I see, is that there would be no jobs for them. They'd end up on government assistance.
      I don't see that as an issue. The unskilled workers would take the jobs the current population doesn't want, and there will be skilled laborers as well that contribute positively to the economy. Nations like Turkey, Jordan, etc. have taken in way more refugees than the US would and their economies haven't been affected in a negative way and those countries aren't anywhere near the position to take that many people in as we are.

I'm all for it.

Comment

• Breitbart news, haha.

Comment

• Dick Cheney, Geezer, with a wrinkle: he was his own top customer. Sold access to himself instead of to others. Luckiest man in politics.
          Well, I guess I have to chew on that for a while, "his own top customer." I do see where you can then get to "all politicians belong on a spectrum. . ." with that belief. The local dog-catcher sells himself access in that way. But I am talking about criminal behavior unless you believe something is not a crime if it is not prosecuted, which I don't believe you think. I just don't agree about Billary being more investigated than others. Remember, Nixon was impeached for obstruction of justice, and I spent a summer listening to the Watergate hearings. I think the media has basically given Hillary a pass on a lot of corruption, but, then again, corruption for Billary is a target-rich environment

( as a complete aside, do you guys figure physically breaking into the DNC office and stealing documents is a worse crime than hacking a DNC computer?)

I thought you might bring Cheney up as comparable. Back in early February, immediately after Scalia's death, this forum had a somewhat heated discussion about Cheney and his "corruption". I sometimes ask a question to make a point (eg. Hillary's top personal tax rate) but I honestly have heard very little about Cheney's corruption. I remember you saying, regarding Cheney, that sometimes society as a whole is better off if a person is not alive, or some such, and Talent gave me a case to look up, but I'd like to know more Cheney if you have a link.
          Last edited by Da Geezer; September 2, 2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Hey. I'm just not able to figure out Hillary's top personal tax rate. Just can't find it. Trump is clear: 10% 25% 33%(top)

Maybe you guys who make rote statements about Trump not being specific should do some thinking for yourselves and not just parrot the party line. Trump is a disaster because he is too specific. His Latino advisors are quitting because he was totally clear that the only way for an illegal immigrant to obtain citizenship would be to go back to their own country and wait in line with the people who have followed the proper procedures to legally immigrate to this country. That is never going to sell to Mexicans I know. Basically, this is the same plan that Romney had (self-deportation) and it is a non-starter for illegals.

Comment

• Yeah, that's his problem. Too specific.

Comment

• Yep

Comment

• 43.6% for ordinary income over $5M. Google is your friend, Geezer

Comment

• mike.. unless you have good lawyers, then 43.6% is more of a suggestion..
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• If you are making 5 Million a year, you have good lawyers.

Comment

• Oh, I now. Just pointing out that her proposed tax plan is public record and easy to find. I look at tax rates like the sticker price on a car. It's the starting point from which you work your way down.

Comment

• agree Mike.. they won't end up where she's suggested. Either the %'s will change or the breakpoints between levels will be increased.
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Dunno what to tell you, Geezer. Cheney was a war profiteer of the worst kind. The entrepreneurial side of you should be aghast at the rent seeking. If you're not curious about it then you're not curious about it.

Comment

• "I thought you might bring Cheney up as comparable. Back in early February, immediately after Scalia's death, this forum had a somewhat heated discussion about Cheney and his "corruption". I sometimes ask a question to make a point (eg. Hillary's top personal tax rate) but I honestly have heard very little about Cheney's corruption. I remember you saying, regarding Cheney, that sometimes society as a whole is better off if a person is not alive, or some such"

Geezer give credit where credit is due. I'm tired of your failure to acknowledge my great contributions to your needed education. Arrogant ignorance is such an insideous disease. it was me who stated that the country was better off with the death of Scalia, not Hack who advocated for the death of Cheney. Pissed off Entropy to no end.
                              Last edited by UMStan White; September 2, 2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Not so fast, my friend! I have and will continue to say those same things! Assasination as a more lucrative option than journalism is one of my bits. Am not willing to just give up taking credit for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X