Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
    Well, one can only hope for charter schools and vouchers. Whitley, are you by chance a teacher? If not, don't worry. Your kids will get a better education, and if you are not satisfied where they are going, just change schools.

On the other hand, if you are a teacher, be afraid, be very afraid. The hostage crisis may be ending.
    Right because the DeVos family plans for public education have worked so well in Michigan.

The school choice is such BS. Parents always had a choice where to send their children it was a factor in real estate prices. You choose where you want to live.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Trump? Pshaw. Lightweight. Warren G. Harding made millions before, during, and after his presidency with organized crime and later became an idol of certain rappers. When Dr. Dre released his "Nothing but a "G" thang" single, few at the time realized that Dre (Andre Young) was actually singing about Warren "G" Harding. Ironically, Harding didn't like rap, but he was musically creative and helped mold the careers of the boyband supergroup "New Kids on the Block."
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Draining the swamp and replacing with more swamp rats. Good job Americans. Stick voters are being heard now!!

Comment

• The school choice is such BS. Parents always had a choice where to send their children it was a factor in real estate prices. You choose where you want to live.
          Poor people cannot live where they want to live. They live where they do mostly out of necessity. Poor folks never had choice.

And about you being a teacher...........?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Biggest problem with our school systems are parents.
            Vouchers will fix that.

Comment

Poor people cannot live where they want to live. They live where they do mostly out of necessity. Poor folks never had choice.

Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
              Vouchers will fix that.
              LOL!

Yep, cause everyone knows that poor people will move their kids to better schools because it is so affordable. (And the tax breaks. My what an incentive!) even when you don't have money for food..
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hack said:
                I'm skeptical of 100 percent of that, and really it's just fiddling around at the margins based on some weird notion that the only constituents of government worth heeding are commercial interests. But if you really believe it go get some numbers. You can posit the value of ESIA studies against S&P EPS or something like that. A least put some facts to the fantasy.
                What is ESIA?

let's start with this:

https://cei.org/10kc2015.

I'd read the actual report. On average, 29% of a family's household income of $ 51,000 is spent on regulation. Around $ 14,600 per household.
                This costs more than health care or food. And it is more than even taxes. I hardly consider that fiddling around the edges.

Who are the other "constituents" of government who face regulation and are not "commercial interests"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                  Vouchers will fix that.

Absolutely... parents will suddenly care or stop acting like little Johnny does no wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• GVGT said
                    ....Yep, cause everyone knows that poor people will move their kids to better schools because it is so affordable.
                    Now, again, is this because poor folks are too stupid, or because they are just too lazy? Or both?

Comment

What difference does it make if I am a teacher or not? Is my opinion invalidated or validated more if I have that job?

The districts are clearly drawn out (at least they are in Michigan). The property values between districts (with a couple exceptions) do not vary that greatly. There is not a great disparity between Coloma and Watervliet with property values for example. Parent(s) moving into an area choose where to live (even poor people) and the school district does matter. If they want to live in a better school district they will find a way.
                      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I wouldn't sweat his questioning if you are a teacher Whitley, that's his thing to try and discredit you. Ignore him. Da Geezer tried the same thing to me. It's not worth your time.

Comment

GVGT said

Now, again, is this because poor folks are too stupid, or because they are just too lazy? Or both?
                          I'm sure your answer is the latter.

Comment

• IQ=85

Comment

GVGT said

*sigh*
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• ESIA = environmental and social impact assessment. Typically required in a permitting process, and disclosed as material in securities filings, so therefore one reliable way to measure this. Any number of crazy people can claim any number of numbers, as your link shows. One person's ``cost of regulation'' is another's protection from harmful business practices. No doubt about it, regulations impact profits. Or, as you put it, regulations prevent commercial entities from downloading the cost of their operations to others. I agree. Even you appreciate the need for that, which is good. But as for that link, come on already. An ``unconstitutionality index"? I'm sure the person behind that nonsense knows that legislators make laws and regulators issue regulations to flesh out the details in the laws. Regulations are there because laws force them to be there. I'm sure many people don't know the difference and might respond as if this is some sort of insight or outrage, but you know better, and I'm not interested in countering that sort of bullshit.

Again -- you have ethics and values and so do I, and to the extent that they differ it doesn't make you a shithead or me an angel, or vice-versa. We won't be changing each others minds in areas where values enter into an economics discussion, so no point in trying. But if you want to drop the bullshit and work with unspun numbers and facts, we've proven we can have an interesting discussion. If you'd rather throw silly stuff at me and see what gets a reaction, that's a lot less interesting or sustainable. I'm not here for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X