No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to a place with good schools is not the panacea if by the time your kids start using the schools they get a lot of cutbacks. Take it from me.

Comment

• I favor a cost-benefit analysis as part of any regulation.

That's a comparative exercise, as it is for an investor deciding where to make an investment. The US is the most competitive economy in the world. As far as I'm concerned there is not enough regulation. We could have more regulation and still have the most competitive economy in the world. The government is not an investment-facilitation service. It has an obligation to others who are a part of the social compact, and it needs to do a better job in that area.

Comment

• What difference does it make if I am a teacher or not? Is my opinion invalidated or validated more if I have that job?
        Well, the reason I can tell is that I have heard the same sentences said the same way thousands of times. Your opinion is merely reflective of one who is being paid about $ 30,000 more for her part-time job than other teachers in other states. I don't blame you for wanting the gravy train to continue.

you say:
        If they want to live in a better school district they will find a way.
        Is your implication that some don't want better schools for their children? (now, is that because they are too lazy or too dumb?) And weren't you the one complaining that charters don't hire certified aids. Maybe it was government schools because of their shortage of money, I forget. Trust me, I hired scores of aids with Masters of Education degrees for $ 10.00 per hour. That is the predictable result of the vast oversupply of teachers in Michigan.

No, Whitley, I don't think we should wait for poor families to move from Detroit to Coloma. I think the closest school to them should be a good school, and that can only happen by spending the "other 37%" on newer facilities. There is plenty of money if you don't pay it to persons according to their political affiliations.

Comment

• hack
          ESIA = environmental and social impact assessment.
          WHICH IS ANOTHER REGULATION!

Comment

• You are very impressed with yourself.

Comment

• Any number of crazy people can claim any number of numbers, as your link shows.
              You asked for a link. Did you read the 92-page report, and the supporting data as I suggested? I'll bet you didn't.

And you go on to talk about social compacts. I had previously asked you, "Who are the other "constituents" of government who face regulation and are not "commercial interests"? Well..... I propose there are few if any such constituents who face regulation that are not "commercial interests".

That's a comparative exercise, as it is for an investor deciding where to make an investment. The US is the most competitive economy in the world. As far as I'm concerned there is not enough regulation. We could have more regulation and still have the most competitive economy in the world. The government is not an investment-facilitation service. It has an obligation to others who are a part of the social compact, and it needs to do a better job in that area.
              That really gets to the heart of the matter, doesn't it. You favor more regulation. OK. And if I ask you by who, you'd answer government, because that is the only answer.

Now. You believe man is evil in the philosophical sense. You believe that power corrupts. You believe that government is more powerful than any corporation could be because (by social compact) government has the power to take property, or liberty, or even life.

Why then do you want the government to have more power?
              Last edited by Da Geezer; November 23, 2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                Well, the reason I can tell is that I have heard the same sentences said the same way thousands of times. Your opinion is merely reflective of one who is being paid about $ 30,000 more for her part-time job than other teachers in other states. I don't blame you for wanting the gravy train to continue.
                You think teaching is a part-time job? You seriously don't believe that do you?
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• He does.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• No, an ESIA is not a regulation, but it is part of a permitting process. And, yes, I'm fine with that.

Why do I want the government to have more power? It's not every country where I would say that, but in this particular country that's needed. But, recall, you often talk about ``atomized'' power. I agree with your valuing of that condition. And, as you know, ``the government'' is not a monolith. There are power centers within it. Power is atomized within it. If ``the government'' was a monolith, that might be a different story. But it is clear to me that this is a country where the balance of power is in favor of commerce and not government, and that Americans are suffering as a result. As for who is supposed to regulate, well, who the heck else? Are you suggesting that commerce regulate itself?

No, of course I didn't read that 92 pages. That shit is shit. Waste of time. It didn't even take more than a minute to recognize it for what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      Absolutely... parents will suddenly care or stop acting like little Johnny does no wrong.
                      Maybe Trump will offer vouchers for food too. So Johnny can at least continue to get his cheese sandwhich every day, since his parents never deposit money in his lunch account (Budweiser, lottery tickets and cigarettes ain't free) or provide him with a lunch to take, along with his non-existent breakfast (Who gets up by 8 anyway?). Because feeding Johnny isn't good for business, when education is for-profit.

Maybe Johnny can get bused to one of those inner-city pre-prisons, where the non-net taxpayers' kids go. Assuming there's funding for buses. He could probably walk.

Comment

• You can't fool us, Geezer. This is really you, isn't it?
                        Attached Files
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I would like to take this time to say Happy Thanksgiving to my B1G brethern. Not all of you suck.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Backatcha AA. I hope this Thanksgiving finds you and yours well and blessed with plenty...or whatever Nicks S&C police allow you to have.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• You are permitted to take this time to say Happy Thanksgiving to us. That'll be great. Afterward I would like to carve out a few meaningful seconds in which I will return the favor.

Comment

• You think teaching is a part-time job? You seriously don't believe that do you?
                                Well, let's see. Teachers in MI are required to teach 1,098 hours over a period of 180 days. Full-time working folks work 2,000 hours over roughly 240 days.

Whitley, I understand that you probably work a lot after school on things you bring home. If you are an elementary teacher you bring home roughly 2 times as much work as does a secondary school teacher. You need to acknowledge that you get summers off, and several other vacations to boot. Charters teach year-round, and if teachers choose to teach year-round, then they get 133% of their salary.

But, once a government school teacher gets tenure, you are under no obligation to work any more than 1,098 hours. And, even if you personally work say 1,600 hours, your membership in the MEA supports the retention of the lazy teachers who don't act as you do. Please try to envision a world where tenure no longer protects the incompetent, lazy or harmful teachers. That world would not include $ 100,000 + salaries and benefits that a substantial majority of Michigan teachers receive. This year, 29% of your base pay goes just to a defined benefit pension. Then there is medical, dental, legal, and mental-health days. All this with the likelihood that you can retire at age 54 or earlier, having spent roughly 23 full-time years working. No wonder the oversupply in this state is so enormous.

Comment

Working...
                                X