Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permits to do what, precisely?

Comment

• To shortcut this, they obviously aren't permitted to commit felonies. However, the police can't forcibly disperse. If they had spontaneously marched then police could have (and probably would have) stopped them. As it is they complied with time, place, manner restrictions.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Finally, I'm all for appropriate arrests. In some of these confrontations I'm sure there's a fair amount of ambiguity and in others none at all. In any event, it strikes me that (a) the CPD is not equipped to handle this situation; and (b) recognizing that, the City should have considered not issuing the anti-protesters permits for that date but, instead, maybe for today. I don't think, e.g., that a city needs to issue the repulsive anti-gay Westboro folks a permit on the same day as a gay pride parade. They can march, but not then.

The Supreme Court specifically allows cities to set forth reasonable time, place and manner restrictions for assembly and protest. I think those cities ought to use that tool to avoid extremely combustible situations, especially when it seems clear they are unable to effectively handle those situations. IMO, the City wasn't just negligent, but reckless.
        Last edited by iam416; August 13, 2017, 11:39 AM.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Do the permits for a rally include the right to bring obvious weapons? Besides clubs and shields, a lot of the Nazis were reportedly brandishing open firearms. I get that Virginia may be an open-carry state but open carry + protest rally seems like a bad combination to allow...

I assume though that the fact that they showed up in helmets and with riot gear is how it became an 'unlawful assembly'

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            It's shocking to me that so many of these "marchers" dropped all pretense and ulterior motive and showed their true identity by donning nazi gear, and sieg heiling. While it wasn't all of them, it was a sufficient quantity to establish that the nazis make up a good portion of this faction. I guess I was naive.
            I could be completely wrong, but I think a lot of the people in this neo-nazi, neo-confederate movement have no particular credo other than "I want to piss off liberals". It's a very, very adolescent act of rebellion. I'm a fucking loser in real life; here's how I can be a 'badass' and earn the respect of others like me. Basically they are trolls taking action in reality. I noticed how many of them appeared to be young yesterday; the murderer was only 20.

Comment

• Two of the guys at the torch gathering were part of the College Republicans. One of them was the College Republican president at WSU.

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/896769090093805568[/ame]

Thoughts on this: Even in the statement put out this morning which condems the KKK an neo-nazis for the first time, it's coming from the "White House" and not Trump himself. Secondly, even the spokesperson who issued the statement refused to go on the record as having issued it. Didn't want the Boss so know who had released it, I guess. This is nuts. It should be a slam dunk to condemn a freaking Nazi murderer.

As I read somewhere, Trump expressed more outrage over Nordstom's pulling Ivanka merchandise.

Comment

• Just like ISIS, there are a handful of idealogues manipulating those you probably correctly identified.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• It is not a slam dunk statement if Trump doesn't believe it. People keep giving him the benefit of the doubt like he is just being influenced by racist advisors and that's not really him. That ignores the mountain of evidence that it is him. He is the Birther In Chief. Most of that ugliness we saw over the last two days has shown up in his rallies in small doses and he didn't nip it in the bud. This is who he is, that's who they voted for.

Comment

• Trump gets riled up over the smallest of criticisms, but he was life less at this press conference; obviously reading a speech prepared by someone else...

Like Froot Loops stated, Trump can condemn some of his supporters he doesn't agree with anytime but he never does.

Comment

• UN prosecutor for war crimes in Syria has quit because of lack of action from the Security Council. Chalk another one up for the Chump/Putin bromance.

Veteran war crimes prosecutor Carla del Ponte says she’s quitting the UN panel probing Syria abuses over a lack of ‘political will.’
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Great news! Chump has just aired his first re-election ad!

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            You were correct. They need to be ignored. They were looking to justify their hate. They got it. Mock them and shame them, but don't give them the fight they want.. and that is what they wanted. A fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Well, Trump is ignoring them.

Comment

• Trump said Friday that he'd have a 'pretty big press conference' today, but there's nothing on the WH schedule.

Also, the internal war may be coming to a head. Roger Stone and The Mooch are attacking Bannon in interviews from the outside...meanwhile Bannon & his allies are about to spread a story about McMaster having a drinking problem.

Comment

• I remember when barack had to disavow his pastor for his anti honkie rhetoric when jeriamiah wright got caught even though barack was in his church for 20 years

trump needs to be much more forceful on this but the question remains why are you granting two diversely hateful groups the ability to congregate and march within blocks of each other. phelps and his ilk had to stay miles away from the funerals of soldiers --seems like chancelorsville could have done the same with all these idiots

not sure why we still have statues of 1/2 the presidents who owned and boned slaves back in the day. we should strip from our culture any past figure who ever had any antiblack sentiment in him

john brown killed multiple people many in cold blood (pottawatami massacre) during his rant through Kansas yet his mural depicted on one Kansas album hangs in our capital prominently to be seen by thousands every year.

politically we would be much better off to strip every statue/quotation/religious reference from every government building or government issued/related document

so by by constitution by by declaration bye bye many of our judicial and legislative practices

there are way too many people who have no common sense when it comes to embracing and learning from our past instead of stirring a pot that leads to violence and death today

Comment

Working...
                                X