Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    A country certainly has to comply with the regulatory requirements of any country they export to. But, countries do not have to have regulations dictated to them from outside their borders, especially when it comes to intrastate commerce.
    Well they don't have to, no. They can choose to, which is what countries do in FTAs and in regional integration organizations like the EU, or lesser-known and less integrative ones thus far like the GCC, ASEAN, the multiple ones in Africa, etc. Some of those experiments are no less ambitious, and, frankly, much more implausible. Free movement across borders in West Africa? A common currency in the GCC? LOL. But that's the trend -- states are increasingly willing to surrender bits of sovereignty to a group that includes themselves.

That said, on an is-what-it-is basis, and not a what-ought-to-be basis, we're going to find out if entering the EU is a mistake that's actually worth undoing for the UK. It's just agreed to pay $52.25bn for the right to do so. Now can it get free-trade agreements in place by March 2019, or will it be complete chaos? Everything has to be redone either way. Your average Uk supermarket chain apparently has 20,000 contracts on average to renegotiate with European suppliers, thousands of which apply to perishable goods that need to move smoothly past borders. Your average manufacturer needs to overhaul its IT systems and change its SKU numbers and all that other nonsense. Time and costs on top of higher tariffs.

We'll see if that's worth it for the UK, even as on the other hand they are agreeing to surrender bits of sovereignty to international bodies in other areas, like tax policy, to the OECD. It could be in the long term, but what's certain is that there will be pain now.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Thank you. As I mentioned, they're so different I wouldn't even dream of making he comparison, but one was made for reasons I can't quite fathom.
      Do you know of another instance where independent states agreed to forgo sovereignty, voluntarily, to a newly created political entity? I don't know that I can think of any off the top of my head.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        My original question was "Why does he (Trump) suck less than Hillary?"
        She was the candidate of War and Wall Street (moreso than Trump), and here tentacles were too deep into the depts of Justice and State. And she controlled the Democrat Party with an iron hand, giving us two corporate parties and blocking the chance for progressive candidates.
        Whatever...

Comment

• These types of regional integration organizations are much more common now, but far less advanced. There's 4 in Africa, and the GCC, all of which aim for a common currency in the future.

I don't know if it fits your example because the OECD isn't new, but all OECD and Group of 20 countries have agreed in principle to a tax-rules overhaul that obliges them to change their tax laws according to a set of rules set by the OECD. All of them have seats at the table, of course. But the trend of sharing sovereignty is on the rise. Taxation is right at the heart of sovereignty, so it's quite significant to see it happen in that area. We'll see how execution of the plan goes in the next few years.

Comment

• Do you know of another instance where independent states agreed to forgo sovereignty, voluntarily, to a newly created political entity? I don't know that I can think of any off the top of my head.
            The comparison is either valid or not. I'm not sure why the presence or absence of other alternatives would change that conclusion.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• But... Hiiiiiiillary
              Attached Files
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                Do you know of another instance where independent states agreed to forgo sovereignty, voluntarily, to a newly created political entity? I don't know that I can think of any off the top of my head.
                Hanseatic League
                Italy
                German Empire

Comment

• fucking garibaldi
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Just got an NRA flyer in the mail.

Apparently Doug Jones wants to take my guns.

What a bunch of lying assholes.

The truth:

Todd asked Jones a series of questions in the 7-minute long interview, televised nationally. On gun rights , Jones said he is “a Second Amendment guy.”

“We’ve got limitations on all constitutional amendments in one form or another,” Jones said. “I want to enforce the laws that we have right now. The biggest issue, I think, that’s facing the Second Amendment right now is that we need to make sure we shore up the National Crime Information System, the NCIC system for background checks, to both keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but at the same time, cut down on error so that law-abiding citizens can get those.”

Jones said he loves to hunt and has a case full of his own guns, but wants to make sure regulations are “smart.”
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• 20,000,000 dollars from Tom Steyer to impeach Trump, money would have been better spent building a youth program for underprivileged youths somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        Just got an NRA flyer in the mail.

Apparently Doug Jones wants to take my guns.

What a bunch of lying assholes.

The truth:

Todd asked Jones a series of questions in the 7-minute long interview, televised nationally. On gun rights , Jones said he is “a Second Amendment guy.”

“We’ve got limitations on all constitutional amendments in one form or another,” Jones said. “I want to enforce the laws that we have right now. The biggest issue, I think, that’s facing the Second Amendment right now is that we need to make sure we shore up the National Crime Information System, the NCIC system for background checks, to both keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but at the same time, cut down on error so that law-abiding citizens can get those.”

Jones said he loves to hunt and has a case full of his own guns, but wants to make sure regulations are “smart.”
                        smart i.e. ban the AR. I hunt, but you don't need 30 bullets to hunt a DEEEEEEEEER!

Comment

• ...there goes CVGT showing his cock again...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• You're still pissed that you never win.

Comment

• Doug Jones would be a considered Republican in many states.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                Doug Jones would be a considered Republican in many states.
                                Yep.

Comment

Working...
                                X