No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly don't know what the solution is, but it's nothing unique. There's money in politics. Just is. Certainly democracy turbocharges the impact, so if you eliminate or reduce the campaign-finance factor you're going to make a big dent. Things like considering misleading ads as free speech or corporations as people are fucking insane readings of the concept, and there's nothing stopping us from applying common sense to that nonsense and making changes. Would be a big help. But let's not pretend there's going to be dialogue. There's going to be various people speaking loudly, and later many of us will go to the polls.

Comment

• as for the non deployables I doubt 10000 transsvestites or whatever it is are the reason why 300,000 soldiers are getting booted for not being deployable.

cruel world out there ---if you are a football player and you cant do your job you get cut

why should the military be any different

8 million vets alive today
      4 million are drawing money for being disabled

about 1 million of those actually were wounded actually less but we'll say 1 mil
      the rest are behavioral health issues/medical issues/non combat issues drawing a check for the rest of their life--many are so called double or even triple dipping--drawing a regular military retirement a pension of 100% for disability and oh btw drawing another check right now for being employed by the civil service. . you talk about a load of crap--those guys are usually the ones you get nothing but crap from when you ask them to do something

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
        ....... many are so called double or even triple dipping--drawing a regular military retirement a pension of 100% for disability and oh btw drawing another check right now for being employed by the civil service.....
        Generally in a agreement but if you are 100% disabled and you are also eligible to draw military retirement pay, you pick one - obviously the highest. You cannot draw both. There are some exceptions and I think POWs and MOH winners are two of them. No problem with that for me.

You are correct that if you retire from active duty and are eligible for retirement pay and then go to work for the government you can double dip but the amount of social security benefits you might have accrued in the Military (Contributions to Social Security are not collected for Civil Service pay) is reduced. It's complicated but it's a significant hit to income streams available to you in retirement. There are cases where your monthly SS check may be worth more than Civil Service retirement pay. Again, for the average civil servant, you pick the highest but not both. Again, there are cases where Civil Service retirement pay is a good deal higher than SS and those are generally for Senior Executive Service (SES) employees.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Comment

• Oakland Mayor should be arrested

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• DSL,

Don't know if you are aware, but Cornell's and its Food Lab director have taken a huge hit. He is P-hacking. It's a pretty big scandal in academic circles.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• fuckin' Kornell

Buzzfeed does the best non-paywalled, lay person job of explaining how Cornell has become the laughing stock of academia.

Brian Wansink won fame, funding, and influence for his science-backed advice on healthy eating. Now, emails show how the Cornell professor and his colleagues have hacked and massaged low-quality data into headline-friendly studies to “go virally big time.”
                    Last edited by AlabamAlum; February 26, 2018, 06:15 PM.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                      fuckin' Kornell

Buzzfeed does the best non-paywalled, lay person job of explaining how Cornell has become the laughing stock of academia.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephanieml...8vB#.udzn9EjE9
                      I think I vaguely remember this guy...even a decade ago he was sort of becoming big. When I was in grad school I'm pretty sure he published a study that claimed plate size influenced appetite or something like that. People served the same amount of food on different sized plates felt like they didn't get enough when served on big plates.

Oh and also, please fuck off.

Comment

• Trump wants a 25% tariff on all imported steel. Not mentioned in this article but for countries he considers "cheaters", he wants significantly higher, like around 50%.

Begun again, the trade wars have.

President Donald Trump has signaled he wants a 25% tariff on steel imports, and it could lead to a fight with other countries over trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          I think I vaguely remember this guy...even a decade ago he was sort of becoming big. When I was in grad school I'm pretty sure he published a study that claimed plate size influenced appetite or something like that. People served the same amount of food on different sized plates felt like they didn't get enough when served on big plates.

Oh and also, please fuck off.
                          Yeah, he's now had a number of manuscripts completely retracted and several others edited.

Wait, you went to grad school?
                          Last edited by AlabamAlum; February 26, 2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• I felt as if my table-setting skills had not yet peaked and required 2 more years of hotel school, yes

Comment

• Heh. Well played.

Comment

• hack:
                                So I think that the left, should they ever get real power, and not under a figure like Obama obsessed with heeding gentlemanly norms, is going to be ready to ram some policy down some people's throats and say fuck you in the process.
                                The second amendment was enacted to allow the citizenry to overthrow the government if necessary. There was no other reason. In the Federalist Papers this is made clear. I'm sorry if this does not please the Progs, but our country was born in revolution, and those who pledged their " ...lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor..." wanted to keep that option open. I don't know why this is such a difficult thing to understand.

I've done a lot of thinking lately about the idea of teachers carrying concealed guns. I've also called friends from the Bureau. I don't think it is a good idea. No matter the training, there is a good chance that teachers might hit innocents with their shots from a .38 or a 9mm. Upon entering a building, the cos could well make a mistake and shoot a teacher. I think the better approach would be to have a metal detector and to check students as they enter the school. JMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X