Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA:

Right. First, the tariffs and what have you are largely balanced. So, it's not like there's an egregious across-the-board imbalance. Second, if, by some improbable miracle, he actually got a "no tariffs" agreement that would (a) not have much of an actual effect (see point 1); but (b) be a huge political win. Third, I don't think he likes Merkel (for good cause) and he's not particularly inclined to any shit from Merkel's little Punjab cock-holster. I sort of like that, too.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think if this were really about trade you would see different behaviour. This is really about multilateralism. Multilateralism happens on America's terms, because America wrote the rules. It no longer has the power it did then, and cannot destroy multilateralism. But if you rip up the rules you're just inviting a rewrite of them at a time when you have less power to shape them. Make no mistake, countries are willing to give up sovereignty when they see it's to their benefit. That's why ~115 of them have signed up to remake tax laws according to the OECD's BEPS project. They like multilateralism and have no problem appreciating it in balance with sovereignty. Even with a matter so central to sovereignty as taxation, they see the benefit of following a script agreed on largely by the west.

Hard as it may be to make the case to voters either drunk on fake news or unwilling to update what they think about the global economy, but the right move, even if you perceive your constituents as primarily multinationals and their wealthy owners, is to preserve these aging institutions and norms for as long as you can, unless you want to let somebody else drive the bus everybody is riding.
      Last edited by hack; June 11, 2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• I don't think there will be a line of new Trumps after him. He is pretty unique with name recognition and ability to con people.

Comment

• It won't be for lack of trying by lesser candidates, though I agree that he's really good at what he does and it will be awfully hard to replicate. Much will depend on whether the system as a whole vomits up this administration or ultimately finds it digestible.

Comment

• There is only one God Emperor

I don't want to see Canadians look down their noses at Trump while electing Justin Trudeau
            Last edited by Kapture1; June 11, 2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              I'm not exactly sure why Canada or Italy are in the G7. Personally, I'm fine if it's the G6 next time.
              I think this post speaks to a failure of multilateralism to properly articulate itself. The G7 understands why it exists and who belongs, and why membership isn't defined only by economic weight. But it's far from the only international organization that hasn't bothered to make clear and easily accessibly to the wider public its real purpose. In some cases these organizations are supposed to be voiceless in order to let the sovereigns who lead them retain their own voices, but in others there would be merit in explaining themselves. I had never thought to look before, but just checked, and it seems the G7 doesn't even have a website. Host countries put material on their own government sites, and in the past I did need to find a media contact when Australia was the host, just for a procedural question, and that was a pretty complicated process. I don't know what happens when an international thing goes from informal to formal enough to have permanent employees and a presence online, but multilateralism as a concept does itself no favors without such. Just encourages the shadowy/black helicopter stuff.

Comment

• Nice win for Husted/Ohio, basic statutory construction and separation of powers. Huzzah.

Comment

• Is that you Robert DeNiro?
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• little man

rs_634x1024-171221095246-634.Robert-De-Niro-Al-Pacino-J2R-122117.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90.jpg

Comment

• yawn
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I agree. Those #GentryProg antics are so commonplace these days that they're just boring.

Comment

• Looks as if somebody got the snowflakes all upset...
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I wouldn't have thought you're upset, but you do tend to hop to any time kapture posts anything. So maybe you are.

Comment

• This should come as a surprise to no one -- infantalizing poor folks does more harm than good: https://www.epionline.org/studies/he...thout-hurting/

Comment

• I would like the poors better if they just had more money.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X