No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that states cannot completely bar people from wearing T-shirts, buttons or other apparel bearing political messages in polling sites in a challenge to a 1912 Minnesota law. Michigan has a similar law that has worked well - no political stuff on display when in the polling area. The Minny law has worked fine for over a 100 years until GOP activists decided that not allowing partisan hyperbola literally in the voting area somehow was an infringement of their right to free speech.

The SCOTUS pushed the issue back to a lower court. I saw nothing wrong with the Minnesota ban. Performing your solemn duty to vote should not be marred by partisan images and demagoguery at the polls. That's only a short step away from voter intimidation.

The SCOTUS got it wrong. Not on a Dred Scott level like the Citizen's United case, but wrong nonetheless.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

If you have Swayze then you need to add Kevin Bacon and John Lithgow from Footloose. Footloose was of songs which reminds of the Muppet Movies, so need to put Jim Henson in there. Henson makes me think of movie franchises like Star Trek (which had 6 movies in the 80s) so need to add William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly to the list.

I never thought of Lithgow, Henson, DeForrest Kelly, or Nimoy as 1980's-era super hunks. Nonetheless, we let let Wiz rank those as well.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Comment

• Yawn
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Trump Foundation, Trump, and all three adult Trump kids being sued by the state of NY for essentially running the charity like a personal piggy bank, including illegally spending almost $3M from it to influence the presidential campaign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Trump Foundation, Trump, and all three adult Trump kids being sued by the state of NY for essentially running the charity like a personal piggy bank, including illegally spending almost $3M from it to influence the presidential campaign.
              a charity that took in 18,800,000 and paid out 19,200,000

Political actors are desperate as fuck.

Comment

• Tepid wage growth has the Fed 'puzzled'.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Halfway through a news conference Wednesday, the head of the world's most powerful central bank was asked a question weighing on the minds — and the checking accounts — of Americans everywhere:

Public companies have internal policy dictated not by Boards of Directors, but by the largest shareholders like mutual funds and the uber rich that guide the BODs. In lieu of pay raises that directly pump money into the economy, stock buybacks and the like disproportionally benefit the major stockholders. 401(k)s are affected, but on a much lesser scale. Bloomberg reports that estimates of employers offering a 401(k) or similar plan is available at only 40% of companies. Downwards of 14% if small businesses are included. Plus the average (don't have the median data) of 401(k) balances are less than $100k.

Perhaps The SEC should mandate a 1 shareholder = 1 vote policy for publicly held companies. Remove the excessive mutual fund influence that is in place over all other shareholders.
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  Michael J. Fox! Nobody put's Alex Keaton in a corner!

Speaking of that, Patrick Swayze, actor in the second finest movie of that generation - Road House (second only to Bloodsport, of course).

...and with that we have to add Jean Claud Van Damme. And since we added him, we must add Steven Segal and Chuck Norris...which makes me think of Rambo, so add Sylvester Stallone. Rambo makes me think of Predator, so add Arnold Shwartzennegar.
                  There goes AA drooling about dudes yet again. Leads me to believe there is something to that southern hilljack Deliverance shit.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• AA...who won the Civil War?

Too bad The Nick wasn't alive back then...he could have done what Lee couldn't...the North would have had no chance...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The Supreme Court decision on the Minnesota shirt law was somewhat narrow. It was mostly decided on vagueness grounds -- need to be specific.

Color me SHOCKED that the NY AG is suing PDJT.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        The Supreme Court decision on the Minnesota shirt law was somewhat narrow. It was mostly decided on vagueness grounds -- need to be specific.

Color me SHOCKED that the NY AG is suing PDJT.
                        on the day of the IG report release.

Comment

• ?[Trump?s] not ever going to become president, right? Right?!? Page texted Strzok.

?No. No he won?t. We?ll stop it,? Strzok responded.

The DOJ withheld this text from Congress but not the IG. Probably national security reasons, amirite?

Comment

• Damn who is 'we'? Why was this text not included in prior docs given to congress? Election interference subversion and treason... launch the indictments.

Comment

• the first part was released to Congress 6 months ago

""He?s not ever going to become president, right? Right?!?

DfqurKtUYAEsSE7.jpg

who removed the response and why?

Comment

• The IG report says that Comey repeatedly broke protocol and made bad decisions.

It also says that there's no proof that he acted out of political bias. And every breach of protocol he made worked to Trump's advantage, not his detriment.

Comment

Working...
                                X